Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 2 Gameday Thread: Rams vs. Falcons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was the Week 1 Player of the Week?
Jared Cook (7 rec. 141 yards, 2 TDs)
61%
 61%  [ 19 ]
Sam Bradford (27/38 299 yards, 2 TDs 1 INT)
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Greg Zuerlein (4/4 48 long)
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Robert Quinn (NFC DPOW)
22%
 22%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 31

RamForLife81-39

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tano wrote:
Ok I just watched this game on NFL Rewind and I think a lot of you are too hard on Courtland and Janoris and the defense overall.

I will admit that Courtland was terrible on the first drive but after that he tightened up quite a bit.

As for Janoris, he actually kept Jones limited when he actually was within 5 yards at the line of scrimmage. Every time Jones got a big play was when Janoris was 10 yards off the line of scrimmage and he often got blocked out of the play on short pass plays that allowed Jones to gain over 15 yards on a few plays. The only play that I was upset with Janoris was the 81 yard td and one of two things happened on that play.

One - he bit on a fake and let Jones by him or
Two - he felt that the safety was backing him up and he became over aggressive covering Jones and the safety decided to cover another guy.

I swear it was the second scenario from looking at it but it could easily have been the first one.

As for the overall defense - they played really well except for the first drive, the last TD drive and the prevent a win defense at the end of the first half. And the other TD they gave up was on the above 81 yard TD that I mentioned above.

And for the very last drive - the Rams had them third and 1 and got completely fooled by Ryan on a screen to the fullback. Oh well - it happens. After that the Rams were trying to steal the football away since Atlanta could just run out the clock. I am surprised Atlanta just didn't kneel.

Anyway that was my take on the defense on a game the Rams really could have won.

I would also like to know who moved his leg on the drive that the Rams took a field goal on. If not for that movement, the Rams would have had first and goal at the 5 yard line.

I also was extremely disappointed in their punt returns since two rookies (Bailey and Ray Ray) committed really dumb penalties.

First of all.. Welcome aboard..

Second of all, the part I put in bold kind of contradicts what you said about our corners. The fact that were ten yards off On plays where the falcons needed 4-5 yards was mind blowing. When a team has the lead and can't run the ball effectively, as you witnessed the falcons do, any team will throw a quick pass to a receiver over and over and over when the D keeps giving it to them. It's just stealing. Not even.. It's accepting a gift. That's what we are all upset about because now for two games, we have played off. Even fisher said we played off too much which makes it even more upsetting that we did it so much

Tavon Austin
39 catches-- 409 yards---4TD
8carries----- 95yards-----1TD
32PR---------279yards----1TD
14KR---------303yards
1,086 All Purpose Yards 6 TD
BamaRam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Finnegan- As Jrry mentioned, he has always played back. His quickness and knowledge of the scheme has allowed this to be effective because he can come up and make plays on the ball. At the very least, he was always one of the better tackling corners in the NFL. So even if he allowed the quick hitch/slant in front of him, he would wrap em up and stop them with minimal gains. Now he is slow to react and has lost the ability to tackle. He doesn't wrap up like he used to and how a 180 lbs corner NEEDS to. He got trucked a couple times by Snelling and was just ineffective tackling in space.

I'm hoping it is temporary. They used him a lot more in the slot because Roddy's injury made Douglas more of a threat. Our slot defense needs improve substantially or we are going to be torn up by Baldwin, Boldin, and Roberts in our division.

Besides the poor pass/3rd down defense, the inability of our receivers to get separation was the story of this game for me. 3 very young corners saw most of the playing time for ATL and we couldn't get the jump on any of them. It's frustrating seeing Bradford always dumping off short- but when the camera pans back you see everybody covered. When Austin Pettis is the only receiver getting separation, you know you are having issues.

Rather than doing the RB screens with D-Rich or the TE screens with Kendricks, I'd like to take a leaf from the Falcons' playbook. Those bubble screens to Jones/White really help create some holes in the middle of the field. It's hard to open up the seams for Cook and Austin when Givens and Pettis aren't threatening on the outside. I'd love to see some screens to Givens with Cook pickin'. Bradford has a tendency to lock-eyes anyway, i think it'd work well. Because of how far we were playing off, it was easy positive yardage for Ryan/Jones.
S-jax39

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what fisher said dont worry about us opening the offense up. Hes scared of quick 3 and outs. He'd rather have slow 3 and outs.
Tano

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome.

As for the playing off, I completely agree. I believe Janoris could be a heck of a corner if allowed to play tight. But with the two young safeties well......
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tano wrote:
Thanks for the welcome.

As for the playing off, I completely agree. I believe Janoris could be a heck of a corner if allowed to play tight. But with the two young safeties well......

Playing off ain't getting it done. Might as well give it a try. Wink

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Halradio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can all agree the Rams secondary in general needs to step it up.

Cortland has become a favorite target - although at least he didn't commit any personal fouls this past week.

The fears folks had with the Rams Safety situation are starting to come to pass - young players making younger player mistakes.

Jenkins has had his moments - some good and some not so good.
STLRamsFan99

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisher not going to play press coverage often with 2 young safeties I fear. Too inexperienced and I am not sure McLeod covers enough ground.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: