Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random questions about the John Elway era

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rygar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Random questions about the John Elway era Reply with quote

Just some random questions I wanted to ask the long-time Bronco fans about the John Elway era...

1. Overall, how would you describe John Elway's body of work? Were there any fans who disliked him when he played for the team, or gave up on him when the Broncos hit the skids in the early 1990's?

2. Aside from Jason Elam, Tom Nalen, Terrell Davis, John Mobley and Bill Romanowski, what other players did the Broncos add between 1993 and 1996 to help make them Super Bowl contenders again?

There's a specific reason why I'm asking these questions, so I'd appreciate some input. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Random questions about the John Elway era Reply with quote

Rygar wrote:
2. Aside from Jason Elam, Tom Nalen, Terrell Davis, John Mobley and Bill Romanowski, what other players did the Broncos add between 1993 and 1996 to help make them Super Bowl contenders again?

Gary Zimmerman (HOF LT)
Mark Schlereth
Rod Smith
Ed McCaffrey

Few names for you.

MUFC OK
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. Overall, how would you describe John Elway's body of work? Were there any fans who disliked him when he played for the team, or gave up on him when the Broncos hit the skids in the early 1990's?

I think it is pretty good, considering that he played in a sandlot shotgun offense (for all intent and purposes) under Dan Reeves for 10 years.

Now, there are people on the NFL General thread who said that Karl Mecklenburg was the best player on the 80's Bronco SB teams, and that John Elway prevented Mark Jackson and Vance Johnson from reaching true greatness, but that is a bunch of nonsense.

Elway was the main reason they were in the SB in 1986, 87, and 89. Another person on those forums told me that the defenses were, but where were they on SB Sunday back then? Getting pwned, including the 1989 unit that was #1 in the league in points allowed.

I know that his stats were mediocre under Reeves, and people on those forums can't seem to get over that, but Dan was somewhat responsible for that. Also, in Dan's last two years there, the O-line got worse after G Jim Juriga left (or retired or something), and LT Gerald Perry was traded to the Rams for RB Gaston Green because of legal trouble:

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-04-22/sports/sp-453_1_tackle-gerald-perry

In 1993, Wade allegedly asked John what he needed, and he said that he needed offensive linemen first off. So, G Brian Habib was signed (along with LT Don Maggs, who struggled with injuries after coming to Denver), and they traded for Gary Zimmerman in August of that year.
Rygar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Smile

Anyway, I asked because I've heard throughout the years how Ben Roethlisberger's style of play is similar to John Elway's, and how Elway inspired him to be a QB in the first place; and the more I've learned, the more striking the similarities are to me. I just got done typing this up on a Steelers message board in the midst of everybody else flipping out:

I wrote:
Ben Roethlisberger is our John Elway

In each of their first nine seasons in the NFL, John Elway and Ben Roethlisberger led their teams to seven winning seasons, six playoff appearances, four AFC Championship Game appearances and three Super Bowl appearances. The only difference between the two is that Roethlisberger is 2-1 in those Super Bowl appearances, while Elway was 0-3 in his first three. That could be attributed to Roethlisberger having a better defense in his early years than Elway did, but otherwise, their career arcs are strikingly similar.

However, between 1992 and 1995, the Broncos hit the skids, finishing with a combined record of 32-32, and missing the playoffs three times in those four seasons. The talent level on the team declined despite Elway still being in his prime, and people began to forget about him with the rise of QBs like Brett Favre, Steve Young and Troy Aikman, and the continued success of his 1983 QB classmates, Dan Marino and Jim Kelly. In fact, the Broncos drafted Tommy Maddox in 1992 as a potential successor to Elway.

The Broncos still had a talented core with players like Elway, Steve Atwater and Shannon Sharpe, but reinforcements were clearly needed. They asked Elway what he wanted, and he said he wanted a better offensive line due to all the physical punishment he'd been taking, so they signed Gary Zimmerman in 1993 and Mark Schlereth in 1995, and they drafted Tom Nalen in 1994. They also provided him some excellent weapons in 1995, when they drafted Terrell Davis and Rod Smith, and signed Ed McCaffrey.

In 1996, the Broncos bolstered their defense by drafting John Mobley and signing Bill Romanowski. At this point, Elway had a complete team around him again, and that was reflected in their records between 1996 and 1998: 13-3, 12-4 and 14-2, respectively, with two Super Bowl championships as the final reward. In the process, people remembered that Elway was still one of the premier QBs in the NFL.

Right now, the Steelers are in the same limbo that the Broncos were in between 1992 and 1995, with a franchise QB and a small core of players all still in their primes, but not much in the way of reinforcements. The same way the Broncos built their team around Elway, Atwater and Sharpe, the Steelers now need to build their team around Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley.

The Steelers have invested heavily in the offensive line in recent years, so they're a bit ahead of the game compared to the Broncos during Elway's 10th season. The linemen are all young and inexperienced, though, so they'll need time to get used to working together with each other. This won't happen overnight, but it will happen over the course of the season. And LeVeon Bell won't have to be Terrell Davis in order to be productive and give the offense an extra dimension. All the offense needs now is a tall, physical WR, whether they draft one or coach up Derek Moye, and possibly another offensive lineman if one of the young ones doesn't pan out.

There also appears to be reinforcements coming on defense, with Jarvis Jones and Shamarko Thomas impressing coaches, and Steve McLendon and Cortez Allen stepping rather seamlessly into their starting roles. The secondary will need to be rebuilt as aging players are let go, so that could delay the team's progress for another season, but as long as the Steelers have another good draft in 2014, they should be a complete team contending for championships by 2015 at the latest.

Trading Ben Roethlisberger now would be tantamount to the Broncos trading John Elway in 1992. Could you imagine if they did that? They'd probably still be waiting for their first Super Bowl championship if they did. Instead, they committed to Elway and quietly stockpiled enough talent to give him a second wind and a victorious ride off into the sunset. For all that Roethlisberger has done for the Steelers, he deserves the same consideration. His favorite QB as a child was Elway, and his body of work is virtually identical so far, so let's hold on tight through the next rough season or two while the Steelers reinforce their nucleus of players, and hopefully watch Roethlisberger ride off victorious into the sunset like the guy who inspired him to be a QB in the first place.

It's funny to learn that some Bronco fans didn't care much for Elway, because some Steeler fans have begun to crucify Roethlisberger in the last couple of seasons, just as the rest of the NFL has begun to figure out that he hasn't had much help around him on offense for a few years now.

It's also funny to learn that Elway was once said to play "sandlot" football, because that's what I keep hearing about Roethlisberger. Of all the QBs in the 2004 draft class, Roethlisberger was considered to be the most raw, but also to have the highest upside. (By comparison, Eli Manning had the highest floor.) Because of this, he was bound to need some extra coaching compared to the others. I don't think Bruce Arians was the right guy for the job, though. For as good as he is at motivating players, he didn't do a whole lot to help refine Roethlisberger's skills, and thus, Roethlisberger was too quick to revert to those "sandlot" tendencies.

For all the hell that people have been giving Todd Haley, he's helped refine Roethlisberger, and gotten him to check down more and get rid of the ball quicker. Unfortunately, this has come at a time when the skill-position talent on the team has eroded and there's been a youth movement on the offensive line, so it hasn't borne much fruit just yet. (This is the youngest starting offensive line the Steelers have had since 1957.)

Anyway, the story of John Elway and the Broncos gives me hope that the Steelers can find a second wind with Ben Roethlisberger in the coming years, as long as they add another good draft or two of young players. If the Broncos didn't throw Elway away, then I don't want the Steelers to throw Roethlisberger away. Instead, I want the Steelers to make Roethlisberger their centerpiece the way the Broncos made Elway theirs late in his career.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Trading Ben Roethlisberger now would be tantamount to the Broncos trading John Elway in 1992. Could you imagine if they did that? They'd probably still be waiting for their first Super Bowl championship if they did. Instead, they committed to Elway and quietly stockpiled enough talent to give him a second wind and a victorious ride off into the sunset.

There were discussions to trade Elway to Washington in 1991:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins-1991-setting-the-stage/2012/01/25/gIQAjlNIRQ_story.html

I think that Earnest Byner saw Elway somewhere that summer and said to him "We almost got you today", but I don't know if that is true or not.

I agree, though, that the Broncos don't win a SB at all if Elway is traded. I wonder if they would even be in Denver if they didn't keep Elway because of the new stadium they built in the 90's. That probably doesn't get done if John isn't there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: