Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Kubiak Play Calling Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Official Kubiak Play Calling Thread Reply with quote

Okay, I gave him one week, largely because the fake punt was his best call in 7 seasons, but this week against the Titans his playcalling was akin to what I do vs. my kid in Madden when I'm trying to keep things close enough for him to have a chance. Just a few absurdities:

Q1 - 3rd and 4 @ Ten 34 - Foster - run up the middle - stuffed for 2 yard gain - missed 50 yard field goal

Q2 - 3rd and 2 @ Ten 32 - Incomplete Pass DEEP to AJ - missed 50 yard field goal

Q2 - 3rd and 5 @ Ten 42 - Incomplete Pass DEEP to Hop - Punt - Touchback - 22 yard net.

Q3 - 2nd and 1 - Foster run up middle for 2 yards.

Q4 - 3rd and 10 @ Ten 45 - Short Pass to AJ for 5 yards - Punt

Q4 - 6:37 left
1st - Schaub sacked for 9 yards loss - offsetting penalties
1st - Foster run off tackle for 4 yard loss
2nd and 14 - Schaub sacked again - where is the draw play & punt - that's Jake Locker over there Gary!!!
3rd and 21 - Pick 6 - Titans take lead

Q4 - last drive
3rd and 10 at TEN 34 - Foster up middle for 1 yard gain - 50 yard field goal missed 3 of 4 times!

Of course the single most MADDENING play is that DAMN play where Foster empties out from the backfield alerting every lineman and LB to peel their ears back and bull rush and Foster rendered about as useless as the QB split wide on the old wildcat plays. Heck, that gives this play too much credit as once every 20 times, wildcat teams would actually throw to the QB. Foster might as well fix divets in the Reliant turf out there, because we NEVER throw to him out of this formation. I have previously broken down how poorly this play has worked for us the past two seasons and Kubiak seems to be calling it even MORE this season and even in situations like 3rd and 4 where we have run previously which would at least keep the safety thinking about staying at home vs. the run instead of doubling up a receiver on a rushed short pass in the middle that is almost always the result of this ill conceived Kubiak staple.

Worse still is the irrational dichotomy that he continues to treat 2nd and 1 as a running down instead of actually opening things up and going down field while calling low percentage deep passes in areas of the field where every yard matters. He seemingly STILL thinks that once we crosses the opponents 35, that we have money in the bank with a field goal, so THAT is the time to go deep, instead of getting the next critical 10 yards that double the odds of a drive actually putting the points on the board (after his 3 runs up the middle from the 10 lead to a field goal attempt). His repeated willingness to set up 50 yard field goals this week were a painful reminder of the infamous Monday nighter vs. the Titans where he chose to have a driving Schaub take a knee to set up a 50 yarder for Kris Brown who had clearly lost his mojo by then. Who knows what this game did to Bullock, but as far as I'm concerned, Kubiak needs to swap his playcalling in the red zone with his playcalling between the 40 and 30 as for as predictable and conservative as he is in the RZ is as irresponsible as he is in marginal FG territory.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get frustrated at times with Kubiaks play calling but at the end of the day he is one of the greatest offensive coaches in the game today.

He is a little too dedicated to the run, but he is probably more aware of Schaubs short comings than even we are.

I've seen him make some seamingly dumb calls and foster takes it to the house.

I think the biggest thing he needs to realize is we have a great o-line and 5 legit weapons in the pass game. We need to throw on a 60/40 basis

2014 Adopt-A-Texan
Andre Johnson
6 catches 93 yards
Raz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, are you seriously nitpicking over the playcalling and siting that you are better at calling plays in a video game?

Anyway, do you remember when we converted the 2point play?Kubs screamed at Schaub to be vary of him calling a time out depending on the look of the defense.. how did that work out?You just try to badmouth him cuz you were so wrong about him early in his career and i wonder why you don't post like this about the following players you've been wrong about.Duane Brown, Owen Daniels, Kareem Jackson, Chris Myers etc etc

Shoud i start a topic about how limited Schaub is and he is just good because Kubiak is calling the right plays for him?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 3rd and 2 bomb
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raz wrote:
Dude, are you seriously nitpicking over the playcalling and siting that you are better at calling plays in a video game?

Anyway, do you remember when we converted the 2point play?Kubs screamed at Schaub to be vary of him calling a time out depending on the look of the defense.. how did that work out?You just try to badmouth him cuz you were so wrong about him early in his career and i wonder why you don't post like this about the following players you've been wrong about.Duane Brown, Owen Daniels, Kareem Jackson, Chris Myers etc etc

Shoud i start a topic about how limited Schaub is and he is just good because Kubiak is calling the right plays for him?

Congratulations - your reading comprehension is about as bad as most Titans fans. Try re-reading my video game reference and explain to me how that is anywhere close to what I said, if not the exact opposite.

Yep I was wrong about Duane Brown and I'm sure a few others. No idea what your reference is on OD or Myers - I may have been the only person in this entire forum defending him back in 09 when everyone was trying to run him out of town because he looked bad on a you tube clip vs. a roided up Kris Jenkins. No idea what you are talking about with Kareem or did you not see yet ANOTHER ridiculous penalty by him yesterday. ADHD fans like you think he's suddenly a Pro Bowler because he played one good half against Megatron or because teams chose to exploit the McCain, Harris, Ball mismatches more.

As for Kubiak, I was not wrong then and am not today. He wasted 4 seasons by refusing to bring in a DC that was actually qualified for the job, opting instead for 2nd rate Denver cronies who wouldn't be a threat to take his job. His Special Teams coach cost us home field thru the playoffs last year, yet he's back again this year (did you see Trindon with yet another TD this week?). The guy doesn't have the balls to fix a problem unless his boss forces change. For God's sake, you think a guy who starts Kevin Walter opposite a hall of famer for 6 seasons is a bit resistant to change?

I have always said he was a great OC and brilliant at installing and coaching up the Denver system, but that is not his job title. He has improved a bit on his gameday skills (improved challenges for example), but he remains a predictable playcaller who struggles to adjust to the flow of the game or deviate from his "script."

I don't know how you could possibly be happy with a coach who put his rookie kicker in a position to be forced to kick 3 50 yard field goals or thought it was a good idea to dial up that 3rd and 21 mess. By any measure the talent on the Texans vs. Chargers or Titans isn't even close, yet his team has played down to or beneath their level. In this game in particular, Kubiak's decision-making was a detriment to our chances, not a positive. I didn't even mention his failure to throw the challenge flag on the Kenny Britt catch from the 1 that hit the ground that would have had them facing 3rd and 10 from the 1 on the 99 yard drive that ultimately gave them the lead. I will admit that the past 2 seasons have had quite a few less games like this one where Kubiak is THE problem, but that doesn't excuse it. I still think he costs a few games a year vs. other coaches who win a few each year.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: