Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Single most valuable Texan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go being narrow minded again, its like you read ONE line and stopped reading.

I said his 22 to 12 td to int ratio is NOT very good for a top 10 qb. I never singled out his 12 ints as a bad thing, in fact I think it plays right into my hand as calling him a game manager. He protects the ball perfectly, on most occasions, but together 22:12 its not that good. For the amount of throws he makes thats just not elite. Schaub makes accurate throws, reads defenses perfectly, most times, but when a play breaks down or a defense plays more coverage than playing the run he tends to play terribly. Makes stupid decisions, cradles up and takes sacks unnecessarily and never makes a guy miss. Ive never said matt was garbage, just a game manager and in this league I think we need a better signal caller to win a super bowl. Or at least Matt to play like he did on Monday more consistently, OR get hot like Flacco did last year and Eli did both times he won a super bowl.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
There you go being narrow minded again, its like you read ONE line and stopped reading.

I said his 22 to 12 td to int ratio is NOT very good for a top 10 qb. I never singled out his 12 ints as a bad thing, in fact I think it plays right into my hand as calling him a game manager. He protects the ball perfectly, on most occasions, but together 22:12 its not that good. For the amount of throws he makes thats just not elite. Schaub makes accurate throws, reads defenses perfectly, most times, but when a play breaks down or a defense plays more coverage than playing the run he tends to play terribly. Makes stupid decisions, cradles up and takes sacks unnecessarily and never makes a guy miss. Ive never said matt was garbage, just a game manager and in this league I think we need a better signal caller to win a super bowl. Or at least Matt to play like he did on Monday more consistently, OR get hot like Flacco did last year and Eli did both times he won a super bowl.

The thing that you fail to realize is we more than any other team go run heavy in the RZ. There is a reason we have so much more running TDs than other teams with top QBs. I posted earlier that he was 21st in RZ attempts. That isn't because we don't get down there and it isn't because he can't do it. It's because Kubiak gets ridiculously conservative. It's been that way for years. You won't have a lot of TDs if you don't get chances in the RZ. 22 TDs is indicative of Schaub's skill. It's indicative of Kubiak's play calling philosophy. And it's that philosophy that has screwed us numerous times because we end up settling for FGs.

#JDI
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
The thing that you fail to realize is we more than any other team go run heavy in the RZ. There is a reason we have so much more running TDs than other teams with top QBs. I posted earlier that he was 21st in RZ attempts. That isn't because we don't get down there and it isn't because he can't do it. It's because Kubiak gets ridiculously conservative. It's been that way for years. You won't have a lot of TDs if you don't get chances in the RZ. 22 TDs is indicative of Schaub's skill. It's indicative of Kubiak's play calling philosophy. And it's that philosophy that has screwed us numerous times because we end up settling for FGs.

Amen. But we may have seen a new Koobs with the fake punt call... (one can only hope) Pray
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reed got a gift from his fellow Texans
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/texans-safety-ed-reed-receives-walker-birthday-gift-174651992--nfl.html
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:

We're still going on this? If we had a big reliable TE (Gronk), we would throw to him more in the RZ. If we had a reliable deep threat we may throw deep more. If the defense didn't give away leads for 4 years he would have more comeback wins. The QB works with what he's got and if you watched the Pats game last night, you saw that even a hall of famer can't do it all with just one target. How did Flacco look last Thursday without Boldin and Pitta? Think Peyton gets 7 Tds if they could have just effectively run the ball to kill the clock instead?

Schaub has proven that he can operate a pass oriented system as effectively as anyone as evidenced by his 4,700+ yard season in 09 despite having substandard targets. He has proven time and again that when the situation dictates, he can throw this team back into games when the run game and defense dig holes (stop acting like the Chargers game was some outlier as he did the same thing last year against the Lions and Jags). I guess you would be happier if we just operated like the Lions and dropped Schaub back 50 times a game and had him and AJ put up video game numbers, but quite clearly running the ball and minimizing turnovers is a better strategy if the goal is to actually win football games.

As a team that strategy had us commit the 3rd fewest turnovers in the AFC and score the 3rd most points last year. Again, we've established that he's not Brady or Manning, but you have not offered one shred of evidence that indicates that if the defense can do THEIR job and slow down Brady or Manning that Schuab is somehow incapable of holding up his end. Heck, he outplayed Manning and Flacco as recently as LAST YEAR, so the only hurdle is Brady who has been beaten in the playoffs or the Super Bowl by the Ravens, Giants, Jets, and Ravens the past 4 seasons. It doesn't take a Hall of Fame QB to beat Brady, it takes a defense that can slow him down, an effective running game to build a lead and keep him off the field and a QB that can protect the ball and keep the chains moving.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case analogies work better...

Far too often QB battles are portrayed as if they are Wild West mano-a-mano shootouts. The reality is that in such battles Schaub would win the vast majority, but only a fool would submit to a shootout vs. Manning or Brady. If you recall "Johnny Ringo" kept trying to bait "Wyatt Earp" into a gunfight, but Wyatt and his friends were aware enough to keep him out of those quick draw battles with the superior firepower of Curly Bill's gang until they could extend the fight, have some semblance of a defensive posture, and utilize elements of deception to even the odds. Frankly, up until now the Pats simply have had us outgunned and the Broncos just might this year, but there is no reason to think he couldn't have taken down the Ravens had he played in that '11 playoff game since the defense and Arian had us close. Remind me when Matt Schaub ever threw 3 ints in a game or had a sub 50% com % like Yates did (answer: thrown 3 ints ONCE in 121 games - week 2: 2008, sub 50% comp 3 times in 121 games).

Schaub's core posse of AJ, Arian, and OD is strong especially if Hopkins proves to be shiny new a weapon and Tate shows up for the battle. It certainly appears Brady's posse is wounded as Edelman, Ridley, Thompkins are no Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd, Ridley, Vareen and Flacco is exposed with only Rice and Torrey Smith by his side Boldin and Pitta gone. Manning is still on a different plane from Schaub and his posse is stronger with D. Thomas, Welker, Decker and J. Thomas so as far as I'm concerned our road to the Super Bowl is completely contingent upon our franchise long struggle to craft a strategy that prohibits Peyton Manning from getting our weakest defenders out in open space against his superior targets and methodically gunning us down. The way I see it, the gap between Matt and Peyton might as well be Matt Flynn to Manning unless we do SOMETHING to minimize the gap between Welker & McCain/Harris (who are the defensive equivalent of hiding behind an open window with Manning at the trigger).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why Texans fans would be upset with Schaub..he can be one of the better QBs in the NFL if Kubiak wasn't such an idiot. Kubiak is the one thing holding the Texans back from being a super bowl team, in my opinion. The talent is all there. The coaching is not.

#1CB Jason McCourty
2014 Stats - 5 Games(Missed 2nd half of week 2/Played hurt week 3)/2 INTs/78.0 QB rating when thrown at
LT Michael Roos
Out for the year. Thanks for the great years, Roos.
kurtatx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
I have no idea why Texans fans would be upset with Schaub..he can be one of the better QBs in the NFL if Kubiak wasn't such an idiot. Kubiak is the one thing holding the Texans back from being a super bowl team, in my opinion. The talent is all there. The coaching is not.

Your sentiment appears to be shared by a lot of people here. I don't mind Schaub, but I tend to be a little more lenient.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single most valuable texan, well thats easy... Kubiak is the single most valuable texan Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: