Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Current Linebacking Corps comparison to Championship years
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabbisson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I respect you a lot rab but calling Johnson a JAG is flat out ignorant. He was one of the best run stopping LB's of his era, a good leader on defense and deservedly part of the Patriots all 90's team. He was every bit as good as Spikes vs the run and IMO a bit better vs the pass though he played in a different era of passing so it's tough to compare.

You should know me well enough by now to know that I don't wax nostalgic about players of the glory years. Johnson was a force against the run in a run heavy era.

Fair enough. I still do think that Spikes was a more impactful and a better ILB, but the more I think about it, the more he reminds me of Bryan Cox rather than Johnson. And in that day and age of the NFL, you needed complimentary ILBs to succeed in a 3-4.

Plus, Johnson was good...and then he got injured a lot. He was huge on the 1996 Super Bowl team, right?

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 games in and Spikes has been useless and Fletcher hasn't seen the field.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen Spikes that invisible in back to back games since his rookie year. I actually think both DH and JM have been better in coverage thus far. It's amazing how much better everyone on D looks with a pass rush. Tom Kelley if he stays healthy is going to be a absolute monster this year.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brocktonbob wrote:
I haven't seen Spikes that invisible in back to back games since his rookie year. I actually think both DH and JM have been better in coverage thus far. It's amazing how much better everyone on D looks with a pass rush. Tom Kelley if he stays healthy is going to be a absolute monster this year.

Yeah. Kelly is giving us those 2 or 3 extra pocket collapses per game that every other team seems to get except us. Love it.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
m haynes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe anyone could compare the current LBs to the past. The past group played on one of the best defenses ever. They shut down everyone during that winning streak. It was a beautiful thing to watch! They were dominant, each player had a certain skills that complemented each other.

Today group has major flaws. They can't cover or blitz.

ps Johnson was considered one of the best run stuffer in the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: