Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jeff Matthews- QB- Cornell
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Jeff Matthews- QB- Cornell Reply with quote

With all this QB talk going around here, I thought I might bring your guys attention to one from up by my neck of the woods, from Lil ole Ithaca New York. Jeff Matthews from Cornell, arguably one of the top senior QB in the draft including Taj Boyd. Is drawing some Big Ben Potential comparisons, has a strong arm with tons of zip on the throw, with a quick release, is praised by Ivy league coaches for his poise, and attention to the little details of the game.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120600&draftyear=2014&genpos=QB

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-06-28/2014-nfl-draft-sleepers-cornell-jeff-mathews-ben-roethlisberger-steelers

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/43504/368/daily-notes-qb-jeff-mathews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPdyMBlR9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA_jPt0WBWc
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, he is on my list to watch this year. Assuming I can get his games Laughing

Cornell?

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
Indeed, he is on my list to watch this year. Assuming I can get his games Laughing

Cornell?

yup
NickZambo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only on board if he was a member of the Here Comes Treble.

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
I'm only on board if he was a member of the Here Comes Treble.

Winning

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he played yet? Can't find a Cornell schedule. If I can't find a schedule, how the heck am I gonna watch games Laughing

Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
Has he played yet? Can't find a Cornell schedule. If I can't find a schedule, how the heck am I gonna watch games Laughing

http://www.cornellbigred.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

The 21st is his first game
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:

http://www.cornellbigred.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

The 21st is his first game

Haha, that's weird. Evidently there is another Cornell. The one I was on yesterday didn't have Mathews on the roster and they played one game already. Now I can't find it Confused And no I wasn't drinking Laughing

Thanks!

jshowers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season opens tomorrow for Cornell. Very excited to watch Mathews this year.
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hot dang, if anyone's interested The Cornell/Princeton game is on ESPN3 at 1:00!! I know Kamtrus was looking to watch. So am I.

jshowers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
Well hot dang, if anyone's interested The Cornell/Princeton game is on ESPN3 at 1:00!! I know Kamtrus was looking to watch. So am I.

Damn, wish I had ESPN3. I really want to watch Mathews play a full game live. Still think he's very impressive and I am intrigued by him as a prospect. Watching any film I can get my hands on of him, it's pretty clear that consistent footwork is his biggest issue as a college passer but if he is drafted into a situation where he can sit for at least one season and iron out his quirks with a good coaching staff, I think he has what it takes to be a good starter. Even as a Day 1 starter I think he would be better than Mariota, Hundley, Petty, Boyd, and several others. He's easily in my personal Top 5 QB prospects, could be as high as #2 or #3.
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:

Damn, wish I had ESPN3. I really want to watch Mathews play a full game live. Still think he's very impressive and I am intrigued by him as a prospect. Watching any film I can get my hands on of him, it's pretty clear that consistent footwork is his biggest issue as a college passer but if he is drafted into a situation where he can sit for at least one season and iron out his quirks with a good coaching staff, I think he has what it takes to be a good starter. Even as a Day 1 starter I think he would be better than Mariota, Hundley, Petty, Boyd, and several others. He's easily in my personal Top 5 QB prospects, could be as high as #2 or #3.

Yep, I'm VERY high on him as well. Same as you trying to get any game film I can on him too. The highlight videos of him show a remarkable ability to manipulate defenses with his eyes. He has the mental make-up I look for in a Qb, the physical gifts you need. Like you said, his feet are not good right now. But it looks correctable. I would LOVE to draft him and let him sit behind Hoyer. I like Hoyer as a stop-gap. Perfect situation I think.

Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea his biggest knock this year is his footwork and the # of sacks he has taken. I would love to take a chance in him with one of our thirds let hoyer start next year draft talent to the team let Matthews sit and learn a year or so
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like what little I have seen of him. Athletic for a big guy. Huge arm but unlike Weeden and Anderson can throw with touch. I have seen him look off DBs and the make a throw the other way. I have seen throws you know we're pre snap reads he knew where he was going, but will take the snap looking else where then turn and rip it. Have not seen that from any other QB this year.

Inside pressure causes him to breakdown badly though. I have not watched anything of him from this season but I am guessing that is where most of his sacks are coming from.

I hope his flaws are fixable. I think he can be as good as he wants to be and how well his coaches can coach him up. I know we have seen these types before from small schools and they burnout, but I feel confident he will be much better. Certainly not the next John Skelton.

Jamison on the sig
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched a couple games....not impressed. He looks like a slower Weeden.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: