Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL dot com says Miami not going anywhere this season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who has the best shot at winning the division
Pats
62%
 62%  [ 15 ]
Jets
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bills
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Phins
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 24

Dolphinemidget

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: NFL dot com says Miami not going anywhere this season. Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000230255/article/afc-east-preview-not-buying-miami-dolphins-hype

Quote:
No one has the Miami Dolphins topping 8-8. Offseason spending champions don't often parlay that success into the regular season. Miami has issues on the offensive line, and it could take time for Mike Wallace to make much of an impact at receiver.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one have been saying our line isn't that bad at all but then again I have confidence in Martin and most do not, most outsiders do not. I agree it could be a big IF but if Martin is solid there is no reason our line shouldn't be good Richie, pouncey and clabo are all solid in what they do.

As for us being 8-8 by most experts I will say yes that's very possible but if we somehow can start off 3-3 in our first 6 games I see no reason we don't make the playoffs. We don't get much respect on the outside because respect is earned and we have done nothing for a very long time.

I would feel a lot more comfortable if we had a TE or RB who could make some plays in the passing game I don't see where or who that's going to come from but hopefully someone emerges
Warpticon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFF had our line at 23rd last year, which is about where i would have figured. Not good, but not a disaster. This year they have a decent chance of improving and possibly crossing the middle of the pack if they stay healthy. Martin 2013 > Martin 2012, possibly by a huge amount; Clabo 2012 > Long 2012, so if that continues, that's another improvement; Pouncey, Incognito, and Jerry should be roughly the same. The key will be health. Got my fingers crossed on that one.
MDolphins2399

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's seems like the popular sports media thing to do. Build up the perennial mediocre team that has a "great" offseason, only to remind everyone how "big spending rarely if ever pays off" just before the season. Dolphins were a hot darkhorse pick from march-may. Now you're hard pressed to find any major sports media outlets thinking they'll break .500 save for a few analysts here and there.

Now all that said, I have no idea what we will finish as, I feel like we have the talent to be a playoff team, but we'll have to wait and see. I will say I'll be greatly disappointed with a season worse than 8-8. Unless we catch the injury bug, in which case I'll be back to being the doom-and-gloom dolphins fan that has become so easy to be over the past decade.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9-7 is my benchmark for a successful season this year.

Until I see otherwise, the AFC East runs through the Patriots.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On paper Miami has plenty of talent to dominate the AFC East, then again, the AFC East is in shambles. If we are even mediocre outside of our division and we get 5-6 wins in division (sweep Jets and Bills, and sweep or split with NE) we should be in good position for the playoffs.

I believe that if we fall short it will be the result of the offensive line playing poorly, Tannehill not maturing and/or the running game being nonexistent. I just don't see the defense being a problem. Of course anything could happen, but from what we've seen, the defense looks to be ascending.

As for Wallace and Martin well, preseason doesn't mean squat. Former Dolphins WR, Brian Manning, once led the entire NFL in receiving...during the preseason. If you have no idea who Brian Manning is, I've made my point. Preaseason doesn't mean squat. Wallace can be the best WR in the NFL, despite playing poorly in the preseason, and Martin could be the worst Tackle in the NFL, despite playing fairly well in the preseason. We know nothing from what we've seen, we will start to know something Sunday.

My prediction is 10-6. Even better, the last part of our schedule isn't too tough, meaning, we could gather steam as the season comes to an end, which is exactly the recipe I'd hope to see. I see an easy schedule and improved defense as clear cut, and a shaky, but talent enriched offense as the question marks. Can't wait to see it play out this Sunday. I am SO ready for some football.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amazing part of projections is they are often wrong. It is merely an individuals opinion that becomes widely accepted without any research. Take last year for example, Miami was suppose to be horrible and many were surprised with the strides they made. Most of NFL games are decided by 4 points or less. A stupid penalty and tilt a win to a loss and vice versa. Miami is only expected to finish with 7 or 8 wins because of uncertainty at the QB position. Look at GreenBay. Their defense is horrible yet many still expect them to make the playoffs.. Laughing Its comical when you think about it. I believe the Colts and Fins are equal yet many believe the Colts are a better team than Miami and expect them to be in the playoffs because people are sold on Andrew Luck. No one thought the 49ers would make the SuperBowl at the beginning of the season either. Look at these progosticators pre season playoff team and review them once the playoffs start and you will see they are no different than you or I. They are fans without a clue into what will happen. I give Miami as good a chance as any of making the playoffs because we do not know.

We do not know if the line will come together or whether Tanney becomes a legit franchise QB.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To take that a bit further, football is a collision sport, and injuries can drastically change the trajectory of a team. Last time Miami won the division was when Brady went down. Every single team in the NFL is a key injury away from having to significantly alter its gameplan, which changes matchups, which dictates results. It's a fool's errand to try to pick season results to the game.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who doesn't vote the Patriots is kidding themselves. They are, most likely winning the division. Having said that, I'm not down on this 2012 Dolphins squad at all. I think we will seriously compete for a wildcard spot this season. We're in the playoff hunt, so to speak. I don't think we're good enough yet to compete for the championship... but we're without a doubt a playoff contender this season. Although, I could also see us at 6 to 8 wins realistically.

That is how I see us this season. But I will consider this season a success if Tannehill shows significant progress. This is a QB league, after all. If we finish 8-8 but Tannehill shows significant development, I will write this season off as a success.

Nacho Simulation Football League
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
Anyone who doesn't vote the Patriots is kidding themselves. They are, most likely winning the division. Having said that, I'm not down on this 2012 Dolphins squad at all. I think we will seriously compete for a wildcard spot this season. We're in the playoff hunt, so to speak. I don't think we're good enough yet to compete for the championship... but we're without a doubt a playoff contender this season. Although, I could also see us at 6 to 8 wins realistically.

That is how I see us this season. But I will consider this season a success if Tannehill shows significant progress. This is a QB league, after all. If we finish 8-8 but Tannehill shows significant development, I will write this season off as a success.

The one problem with peoples projections is they are usually based on last years results. Does anyone recall any predictions the Dolphins would win the division in 2008? I dont. My point is these "experts" are no different or more insightful than any of us. They just have a platform that many feel gives them credibility.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching last nights Jets vs New England game, I have to revise my chances of the Dolphins making the playoffs to 50-50 from doubtful.

The Patriots may have won but it was ugly. It was the type of win the Dolphins would get 2 years ago. The Jets were outright terrible, I'm so happy that Smith is their quarterback to lead them into more disarray.

We can win this division just by being competent, outstanding is not required.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
After watching last nights Jets vs New England game, I have to revise my chances of the Dolphins making the playoffs to 50-50 from doubtful.

The Patriots may have won but it was ugly. It was the type of win the Dolphins would get 2 years ago. The Jets were outright terrible, I'm so happy that Smith is their quarterback to lead them into more disarray.

The Patriots are usually rolling by November / December. Let's see how they perform when Amendola and Gronkowski return. I still give them the edge over the Dolphins.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

The Patriots are usually rolling by November / December. Let's see how they perform when Amendola and Gronkowski return. I still give them the edge over the Dolphins.

Call it a feeling, but I sense they will get both back too early then lose them again for a period of time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: