Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TAJT VIII: Take a Care
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandwhich

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
Learning how to balance school work, studying, pledging for TKE, sleeping and my social life is really stessing and tough to handle for me right now.

Sleep's the one I left out. I wasn't much of a "party" type but I also worked full time the whole bit of it, even two jobs for a couple semesters. A lot of kids do that. That's supposed to be encouraging. You'll make it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning 26 on Friday

Only thing I want is a Jets win the day before

39 Tackles, 4.5 Sacks, 14 QB Hits, 7 Stuffs, 3 PD

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to know something, it's time to put 911 behind us as a nation. Believe me, I'm a traditional, patriotic guy, who had people in my community perish in the event. And I can understand the feeling of the immediate family members of the victims who will grieve for the rest of their lives.

But to still have the President and the nation stop everything, and make a displayof grief twelve years later might not be the best way to mark this event at this point, IMO. Kids who arein college now, were 4 and 5 years old at the time. It's a brutal sadness that the families involved will never get over, but it's becoming a distant history, particularly for the school-age kids who were babies when it happened. I happened to be off today, and I noticed Mayor Guiliani himself sharing a laugh with somebody during the coverage of the reading of the victims names.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
JMG wrote:
Learning how to balance school work, studying, pledging for TKE, sleeping and my social life is really stessing and tough to handle for me right now.

Sleep's the one I left out. I wasn't much of a "party" type but I also worked full time the whole bit of it, even two jobs for a couple semesters. A lot of kids do that. That's supposed to be encouraging. You'll make it.
Well I'm sure you feel me. Pledging for a fraternity is so time consuming. I have two exams tomorrow and I haven't even started studying for the first one yet and I have to go to a pledge meeting at 11 until god knows how long. They've been lasting until 1ish the past couple nights. I normally don't need sleep, but if I don't get enough I start to get sick, and I have a cold right now.

[]_[] Family
JMG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:
You want to know something, it's time to put 911 behind us as a nation. Believe me, I'm a traditional, patriotic guy, who had people in my community perish in the event. And I can understand the feeling of the immediate family members of the victims who will grieve for the rest of their lives.

But to still have the President and the nation stop everything, and make a displayof grief twelve years later might not be the best way to mark this event at this point, IMO. Kids who arein college now, were 4 and 5 years old at the time. It's a brutal sadness that the families involved will never get over, but it's becoming a distant history, particularly for the school-age kids who were babies when it happened. I happened to be off today, and I noticed Mayor Guiliani himself sharing a laugh with somebody during the coverage of the reading of the victims names.
I'm a freshman in college, I'm 18. I was 6 at the time.

[]_[] Family
green24

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
Harris Smith wrote:

I'm a freshman in college, I'm 18. I was 6 at the time.

Yep. I was in kindergarten then. I'm a senior in high school now.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in 6th grade when it happened. At the time, no one educated us on those things, so I didn't know what was exactly happening until I got home from school and seen it on tv.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO fraternities are the biggest waste of money and time you could possibly find in college.

The time commitment you need for a fraternity is simply not worth it. You can make friends that last a lifetime, and you don't have to pay.

Unless the fraternity is renowned for networking in the field you wish to pursue, focus on more prudent matters.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
Davey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:

I can't really respond to this without getting somewhat political, but I'll just say that to the question of "why can't we move on?", there's a reason why it's still made into a huge deal.
JMG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
IMO fraternities are the biggest waste of money and time you could possibly find in college.

The time commitment you need for a fraternity is simply not worth it. You can make friends that last a lifetime, and you don't have to pay.

Unless the fraternity is renowned for networking in the field you wish to pursue, focus on more prudent matters.
Not doing it to make friends. Sure, that's a perk. But the amount of endless fun that goes on is so worth it as well as the networking for a future job or intership. There are so many perks that go along with it. It's so worth pledging for 1 semester.

What sucks about tonight is I have 2 exams tomorrow morning and 1 I haven't even started studying for. I will not be home until 4AM because of some task they just gave us.

[]_[] Family
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
Harris Smith wrote:

I can't really respond to this without getting somewhat political, but I'll just say that to the question of "why can't we move on?", there's a reason why it's still made into a huge deal.

I think 911 is beyond politics, The point I'm trying to make is, to say it was a big deal goes without sayiing. However, for the kids coming up, we're not doing them justice by continuing to focus on an attack on our country that occurred over a decade ago. The perpetrator of the attack was killed by Navy Seals a few years ago, and his remains are now fish food on the bottom of the Indian Ocean.

I think for a lot of people my age, 911 was the beginning of an era of misfortune, both personally, and from the standpoint as a citizen. From a personal and nationalistic standpoint, we as Americans have to wipe the slate clean. If not for ourselves, at least for the younger people who are facing there fair share of discouragement.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:

No it is not. If you have been to a funeral you understand that the entire time you are there you are still human.
You may laugh, it is not against any moral code.
If you were not effected personally than obviously you may move on and enjoy your TSA screenings and the NSA gathering all your info in peace.
The reason the school children in the Tri-state area were told nothing while they were at school, was because the schools did not know if the students parents were dead.
I take it yours were fine, however many were not as fortunate.

Harris Smith wrote:

I think 911 is beyond politics, The point I'm trying to make is, to say it was a big deal goes without sayiing. However, for the kids coming up, we're not doing them justice by continuing to focus on an attack on our country that occurred over a decade ago. The perpetrator of the attack was killed by Navy Seals a few years ago, and his remains are now fish food on the bottom of the Indian Ocean.

I think for a lot of people my age, 911 was the beginning of an era of misfortune, both personally, and from the standpoint as a citizen. From a personal and nationalistic standpoint, we as Americans have to wipe the slate clean. If not for ourselves, at least for the younger people who are facing there fair share of discouragement.

911 brought the country together. It was not just military targets that were attacked. People died who simply went to work.
It was an amazing evacuation as the number of dead could have been far worse. Everyone can relate to the injustice of being killed for no reason.
Do you find Memorial Day to be unnecessary? It is remembering those who died long ago for the most part. In wars fought decades ago.

I heard it stated "Eventually 911 will become another day on the calendar just like Pearl Harbor Day, but for those who lived through it, we will never forget."

Hopefully you will not face tragedy and have someone suggest when you talk about it on the anniversary of when it happened,
"Hey it happened years ago, it brings the rest of us down when you talk about it, just move on already".

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9/11 is one of the nation's events. That is something we can't remove from the nation's society.

I am pretty sure USA had the same behavior for the Pearl Harbor event in its first 10 years.

Give it some time to fade away. The new skyscraper is about to be completed.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9/11 is like our Pearl Harbor or Kennedy assassination. It will forever be etchd in our minds. For younger people and folks born after that date, that day won't be as meaningful. But for anyone who lived through that day, it's one we should never forget. It was the worst attack on America in our history, and by remembering it every year we honor the victims and those first responders who put themselves in harm's way. I may live in NC, but I was born in Long Island, and most of my Dad's brothers are all either FDNY or NYPD. I respect your opinion Harris, but I am with JG on this one. Never forget. God bless this great country of ours.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 64 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
sandwhich

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not we should still be making as big of a deal on 9/11 that we are still seems to be a lesser problem. People can't act classy and sincere in a mere moment of silence for this? If I was asked to do a memorial moment of silence for Pearl Harbor victims I would give it my utmost seriousness and sincerity. The girl mentioned cared more about taking a silly picture of herself than giving just one small moment of her life to respect the dead.

That's an issue with humanity on the whole, really.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 25 of 77

Jump to: