Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What are the Jets going to do about the horrible O line
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
werds35

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron Rodgers is sacked more than any other QB in the league! Does anyone say he holds on to the ball too long?

Personally, I would rather see Geno cover the ball and take these sacks than heave the ball a la Sanchez and give it away.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werds35 wrote:
Aaron Rodgers is sacked more than any other QB in the league! Does anyone say he holds on to the ball too long?

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't love PFF, but they rated Austin Howard as the best OT in the NFL during Week 1 and the best offensive lineman in the NFL not named Evan Mathis.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Never understood why people ripped Howard. Just like I never understood why people rip Harris.

Amen.

Because Harris is insanely slow for an ILB and has a 13 million dollar cap hit. Hes nowhere near worth that. Hes maybe worth half. Hes excellent against the run, as good as anyone, but hes terrible in coverage because of his lack of speed. He did look really good though against the Bucs as did DeMario.

The thing is, Harris isn't even consistently good against the run. When he's had superior DL in front of him, he's shown an ability to play downhill and attack a gap. But anything other than stellar line play, and he's on the ground swiping at guy's feet. That's not a guy to pay 13 million dollars in a season, ever. It's not that he's bad, he's just an ordinary talent that the Jets overvalued. If he can get a comparable contract next offseason from another team, salud. I would argue he'll make about 3-4 million next year, whether he plays for the Jets, or wherever.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding onto the ball too long goes back to the idea of a quarterback having that clock in the back of his head and being able to process information quickly. It comes with time and the mastery of the position, and Geno made less mistakes even as the game went on and got a little wiser with what to do when things weren't available.

But it's something he showed in the preseason game against the Giants, and still against Tampa Bay although to a lesser extent. It's something that's going to get better with time but he's still not there yet. Hopefully plays like his sack after the INT or the fumble that set up Martin's touchdown become less frequent already given his first real experience with a live NFL rush.
Spiel612

Most Valuable Poster (7th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard didn't miss a block, but he allowed one pressure (I honestly think that was it all day) and he still did a good job recovering on it and allowing Geno to step up and run. It was early in the game (2nd offensive play from scrimmage). However, his competition was primarily Da'Quan Bowers and Daniel Te'o Nesheim. I wouldn't call them world beating as pass rushers.

I thought Willie Colon was absolutely brutal. But I also thought the line had it's moments of perfection. The other major issue was the missed blocks. I think part of that comes from Geno being a rookie and another part of that comes from unfamiliarity with Mangold. This offense is going to have moments like that. They just spent an entire preseason unsure of who the starter was going to be. Lack of chemistry shouldn't be surprising.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris is making 11m this year, not 13m. It is ridiculous to call him a failing LB due to a lousy performance for price. He has contract that is about to be expired and he had solid years at cheap price early in his contract.

His role is now Bart Scott's role. He still is better than Scott. That's it.
Davey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL teams have finite resources, our money's got to be more wisely spent. We've invested wisely up front defensively and we've got to work to retain those players, and keep the majority of our investment focus there defensively. With the rest of the focus being on providing the quarterback with protection and weapons.

Harris' best years have been underrated but it's fairly obvious he's got to renegotiate significantly or be cut. As how the contract was designed, basically. Once he gets to next season in the deal he was never going to see this money.
jg6041

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quietjetsket wrote:
Harris is making 11m this year, not 13m. It is ridiculous to call him a failing LB due to a lousy performance for price. He has contract that is about to be expired and he had solid years at cheap price early in his contract.

His role is now Bart Scott's role. He still is better than Scott. That's it.

Applause Very nicely stated. Plus he hits like a truck, all he hits remember him.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
richie jets

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like this o line ,they're going to get better and better playing together .this is the best o line weve had since 09.

Colon is mean and nasty good in pass protection from his days as a RT

Vlad looks like that potential is finally coming to life

Howard looks like hes building on the advances he made last year
Dont think i need to mention the perennial pro bowlers
ekill08x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
I don't love PFF, but they rated Austin Howard as the best OT in the NFL during Week 1 and the best offensive lineman in the NFL not named Evan Mathis.

Remember Greenie, take PFF with a grain of salt Wink

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
ekill08x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie jets wrote:
i like this o line ,they're going to get better and better playing together .this is the best o line weve had since 09.

Colon is mean and nasty good in pass protection from his days as a RT

Vlad looks like that potential is finally coming to life

Howard looks like hes building on the advances he made last year
Dont think i need to mention the perennial pro bowlers

Agreed with everything but the last statement. mangold has look pretty good but D'brick really hasn't played well. I honestly think hes overrated too.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Ironman2

Location: Tony Stark: Let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiel612 wrote:
Howard didn't miss a block, but he allowed one pressure (I honestly think that was it all day) and he still did a good job recovering on it and allowing Geno to step up and run. It was early in the game (2nd offensive play from scrimmage). However, his competition was primarily Da'Quan Bowers and Daniel Te'o Nesheim. I wouldn't call them world beating as pass rushers.

I thought Willie Colon was absolutely brutal. But I also thought the line had it's moments of perfection. The other major issue was the missed blocks. I think part of that comes from Geno being a rookie and another part of that comes from unfamiliarity with Mangold. This offense is going to have moments like that. They just spent an entire preseason unsure of who the starter was going to be. Lack of chemistry shouldn't be surprising.

Colon does this (Steelers Fan) just horrid penalties that you would expect from an undrafted rookie. But he is lethal on trap plays.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: