Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

You never hear about the good stuff...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: You never hear about the good stuff... Reply with quote

Like many of you, I sometimes grow tired of only hearing about the negative stories in the media. That seems to go double when it has to do with the Detroit Lions. Well I found this story on a site that I frequent, and thought I would share it and maybe it would melt one or two of your icy hearts.

Quote:
The updates on our Chive Charities recipients continue to get better. Last May we brought you the story of a little boy named Griffin born with a rare genetic disorder called SOX2 Amophthalmia Syndrome. Amongst the many maladies one with the disorder experiences, Griffin Stein was born without eyes. One of a set of triplets, Griffin and the Stein family were also living in cramped quarters.

The family was living in a two bedroom gingerbread house when we found them. At the time, we posted that theCHIVE Fund had surprised the family with a new Chrysler Minivan and custom wheelchair ramp to help them take Griffin to his physical therapy sessions. The Chivers noticed the Stein’s tiny home in one of the photos and decided a minivan and the ramp were not enough. We could do more. The Chivers decided the Steins needed a bigger home.

The next day Chive Nation raised $125,000 in 3 hours flat to build a massive expansion onto the Stein’s home. Construction is set to begin shortly.

The post caught the attention of Detroit Lions Linebacker Coach, Matt Burke. Matt invited the Stein family to join the Lions for their final practice before the home opener last weekend. Chive Charities Executive Director, Brian Mercedes and Community Manager, Angie Cone flew from Austin for the occasion. Angie told me:

“We thought we’d meet Matt at practice the next day. Instead he drove to Royal Oak on Friday night with a box of Lions gear for the family and met us for dinner. Here’s a guy who clearly has very little time to spare and he spent the entire evening with us listening to Griffin’s story. He was so humble and gracious.

The next day we went to practice. With the exception of a few family members we were the only ones there. Matt had set our expectations low. We understood how little time the players had that day, especially before the big game. It was so cool to just watch them practice. But then something happened. We saw THE ENTIRE LIONS TEAM WALKING TOWARD US. We all froze as these huge men walked our way. When they arrived they all kneeled down to get on the triplet’s level. It was so touching.

They didn’t just say hi and leave either. They players stuck around to talk to the family and hang out with Griffin and learn about the disorder. Many of them had read Griffin’s story on theCHIVE and were already familiar with his disorder. The Stein family would say later it was one of most memorable days of their lives.”

Some pictures:

Quote:
Matthew Stafford stayed late, even after many of the players returned to the locker room.

Matt offered to sign Kaylee’s jersey and she replied, “I’m sorry, Matt, I don’t want you to ruin my shirt.”

All the players cracked up.

Link to more pictures: http://thechive.com/2013/09/11/the-detroit-lions-invite-griffin-stein-to-football-practice-15-hq-photos/
Link to original story about the disabled boy: http://thechive.com/2013/05/02/the-chivers-want-a-stein-family-sequel-chivers-lets-do-this-10-photos/

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
Rockcity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that stuff. Idk but Riley looks like a monster he's big as hell
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I heard Suh actually punched one of the kids in the shnoz.

All kidding aside... good stuff. Hope it made the kids' days a bit brighter.
DetroitPride26

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:

He really is!!!! Good to see stuff like this. I think this should be happening everyday. People don't realize impact they could have on others. Especially being best of best in NFL
tippitover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really a touching story. Awesome to see our assumed "Thug team" doing the right thing. I had a tear..... but only one.

Thanks to Smack for the sig!

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So friggin awesome.

When you hear of stories like this, it seems like some of the lower/middle-tier players would be the ones to hang out with the family. Nope. There's Calvin and Stafford in the mix of it all, and Stafford was one of the last to leave.

So much class.

Team Stylish
wi7son

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockcity wrote:

Almost looks like a illusion why does he look so huge he is standing next to guys that are supposed to be in his height range.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more reason to like Matt Burke. I've been researching our coaches lately because I'm not content with this cosching staff and this is just more reason to like this guy. Hope he sticks around.

R.I.P. Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: