Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers CBs Coverage Metrics/Conference Championship UPDATED!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks Nnamdi played well?

Depends on what you mean by well. He played on Nelson for most of the game, I believe, and while he wasn't completely outmatched, Nelson clearly had the advantage. So it's sort of a situation where it was like, "okay, this is what he is. A guy who can probably cover average to above average receivers with success, but maybe struggle a little with the good and very good receivers". I would trust him on some receivers, and then be afraid when he's covering others.

I still think when he gets in there on third/ passing downs, we just need to let him jam his guy at the line because that is what he is best at. off man is where he struggled during his time in Philly. but maybe it was b/c of not practicing much due to the collarbone that led to him to miss a few tackles.
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Forge wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks Nnamdi played well?

Depends on what you mean by well. He played on Nelson for most of the game, I believe, and while he wasn't completely outmatched, Nelson clearly had the advantage. So it's sort of a situation where it was like, "okay, this is what he is. A guy who can probably cover average to above average receivers with success, but maybe struggle a little with the good and very good receivers". I would trust him on some receivers, and then be afraid when he's covering others.

I still think when he gets in there on third/ passing downs, we just need to let him jam his guy at the line because that is what he is best at. off man is where he struggled during his time in Philly. but maybe it was b/c of not practicing much due to the collarbone that led to him to miss a few tackles.

I would agree with that. And in all fairness, two of those completions he gave up were remarkable catches by Nelson. We also weren't the greatest at generating pressure yesterday at times, so that didn't help.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NA allowed only one catch in press coverage and that was a great play made by Nelson.

Than on the missed tackle, he was playing by design off 10 yards on 3rd and 15. Had he come up and made a tackle, we would have gotten off the field.

On the same drive he allowed another short 8 or 9 yard catch where he was once again playing off. That may have been a zone but these two catches he allowed really had little to do with his coverage abilities.

The play that still is baffling me is the TD to Nelson where he played off and gave Nelson a free release. There had to be some sort of miss-communication or he just is an idiot for letting it happen.

So yeah, I don't think he was over matched by Nelson one bit. Most of the time he was in press coverage and allowed nothing.

Just for comparison,

In press coverage:

Targets 6
Completions 1
Yards 31
PDs 2

In off coverage:

Targets 3
Completions 3
Yards 32
TDs 1

Like I said before, the missed tackle and playing off on the TD are my biggest complaints. Aside from that, he did what he usually does.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Phil Barber ‏@Skinny_Post 6m
RT @klynch49: Nnamdi played way off on Nelson's TD catch. Not sure why >> Told me he played to help, GB ran the one play that took away help

Ok, I knew something was off on that play. I guess it was basically pick your poison for Whitner and he had to take the underneath route. Looks like GB knew EXACTLY what we were going to run there. I think one of the main reasons our red zone defense isn't as good as it once was is because we don't change anything up. Eli made similar comments last year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 2 updated

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through three weeks, according to PFF, Nnamdi Asomugha ranks #4 in receptions allowed per coverage snaps, and Tarrell Brown ranks #6. Carlos Rogers on the other hand ranks #42 but I don't feel like he has played all that bad. Yesterday, two of the receptions he allowed to Wayne were bad as they went for big gains since he couldn't be brought down.

Overall though, the hate towards the secondary is too much IMO. My biggest complaint has been the few missed tackles from Asomugha and Reid.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically a flawless performance by the secondary after the 1st quarter.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for continually posting these. I hope you don't mind that I slightly edited your post for formatting to make it a bit easier to read on a weekly basis.

Frank Gore 10,000 yard tracker:

Currently - 9,967
Ranked 29th all-time
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Thanks for continually posting these. I hope you don't mind that I slightly edited your post for formatting to make it a bit easier to read on a weekly basis.

No, that is perfectly fine and bolding does make it much easier. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just add the defensive stats in this thread:

Rank 4th in total YPG allowed at 299.8
Rank 3rd in pass YPG allowed at 190.5
Rank 19th in rush YPG allowed at 109.3
Rank 19th in PPG allowed at 23.8
Rank 12th in pass YPA allowed at 6.8
Rank 10th in opposing QB rating at 77.8
Rank 10th in passing TDs allowed at 5
Rank 5th in rush YPC at 3.5
Rank 32nd in rush TDs allowed at 6

So overall, the defense has played well but big problem in the red zone. We didn't allow a rushing TD in 2011 until like the 13th week, but already have allowed 6 TDs? And the biggest problem is how predictable we are in the red zone. I pointed this out last year, but Eli Manning flat out stated these guys do the same exact thing every single time. We need to mix it up more and stop giving the same looks. The rushing defense is actually very good when it comes to YPC, but we have allowed a lot of yards due to the incompetency of our offense.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I'll just add the defensive stats in this thread:

Rank 4th in total YPG allowed at 299.8
Rank 3rd in pass YPG allowed at 190.5
Rank 19th in rush YPG allowed at 109.3
Rank 19th in PPG allowed at 23.8
Rank 12th in pass YPA allowed at 6.8
Rank 10th in opposing QB rating at 77.8
Rank 10th in passing TDs allowed at 5
Rank 5th in rush YPC at 3.5
Rank 32nd in rush TDs allowed at 6

So overall, the defense has played well but big problem in the red zone. We didn't allow a rushing TD in 2011 until like the 13th week, but already have allowed 6 TDs? And the biggest problem is how predictable we are in the red zone. I pointed this out last year, but Eli Manning flat out stated these guys do the same exact thing every single time. We need to mix it up more and stop giving the same looks. The rushing defense is actually very good when it comes to YPC, but we have allowed a lot of yards due to the incompetency of our offense.

I'm curious, do you know Brocks stats from last week in coverage metrics? Seems to me that he played a very very good game, but that was mostly the stuff I saw when he was directly involved in the play on the screen.

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His stats are on the first page, but I'll post them again:

Targets 7
Completions 3
Yards 24
PDs 2

Aside from having some miss-communication on a play that almost went for a TD in the first quarter, Brock was GREAT.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Targets 7
Completions 3
Yards 24
PDs 2

Aside from having some miss-communication on a play that almost went for a TD in the first quarter, Brock was GREAT.

For the amount of hate I give the guy, he definitely exceeded me expectations last week.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown used to be hated in a similar way, and now he is our best CB. Brock was put in a tough position vs the Giants and obviously wasn't ready. If Goldson doesn't lay out Brown, we probably win that game. Not only does Brown not leave the game, but he has a great chance of having a pick six on that play.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Targets 7
Completions 3
Yards 24
PDs 2

Sorry, I should probably continue to re-read through this thread. I didn't know it was updated weekly...though I think you said that in the initial post. My bad, man, but thank you for reposting the stats. I'll make sure to check the original when I go back to look throughout the season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: