Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tomlin/Steelers post-game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Tomlin/Steelers post-game Reply with quote

Performance unacceptable. Didn't play well enough. Didn't coach well enough. Interesting, given the heated exchange with Haley on the sidelines.

Tomlin says Suisham also injured his hamstring in pre-game. Obviously played, but even more great news.

Wasn't happy with the run defense on the 12 play drive.

Asked about why the team didn't go down the field more, talked about Ben getting hit and the team needing to run the ball to stay on schedule.

Titans had nice plan, Steelers could have been better under the circumstances. Didn't adjust well enough, took responsibility for that.

Did not commit to Beachum at center.

Keisel sounded sick of explaining away losses.

Roethlisberger on fumble - wrong personnel, Johnson wasn't supposed to be in. Despite confusion, thought Redman knew the play and it would be fine. Takes blame. Redman I believe mentioned the center exchange being slower with Beachum than Pouncey. Otherwise, cliches.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get a more porous run defense when you have more 1 gap playing Dlinemen and no true buck LB.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
You get a more porous run defense when you have more 1 gap playing Dlinemen and no true buck LB.
Maybe Vince Williams can help with that, he has the size and strength to be a Buck- Foote and Timmons do not.

I wouldn't mind seeing Williams getting a shot to be a 2 down LB and then the team take him off and bring in their nickel package and have Troy playing like a LB.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the most disappointing regular season losses ever. This is worse than the Cleveland loss last year. This is also a carbon copy of many of last year's losses:

1. Lose the sack battle
2. Lose the turnover battle
3. Lose the rushing battle
4. Not taking advantage of opportunities
5. Loss the field position battle
6. Didn't seem to be into the game mentally

The offenses inability to generate much consistently on first and second down made them too one dimensional and predictable. This caused the defense to be on the field much too much.

When you hold a team to 16 points and 1 td you will win most Sunday's. The players and coaches have to share this one.

I am also a huge Big Ben fan and I was disappointed with his leadership this game. Elite QB's will elevate the play of the players around them despite the circumstances.

I am more disappointed at how and why the Steelers loss as opposed to jut losing. I can accept another team out-playing or out-coaching the Steelers, but not self imploding as the Steelers did the end of last season and this game as well.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
This is one of the most disappointing regular season losses ever. This is worse than the Cleveland loss last year. This is also a carbon copy of many of last year's losses:

1. Lose the sack battle

The offenses inability to generate much consistently on first and second down made them too one dimensional and predictable. This caused the defense to be on the field much too much.

When you hold a team to 16 points and 1 td you will win most Sunday's. The players and coaches have to share this one.

I am also a huge Big Ben fan and I was disappointed with his leadership this game. Elite QB's will elevate the play of the players around them despite the circumstances.

I am more disappointed at how and why the Steelers loss as opposed to jut losing. I can accept another team out-playing or out-coaching the Steelers, but not self imploding as the Steelers did the end of last season and this game as well.
yoy don't chalk it up to being outplayed because the steelers have one of the youngest starting offenses in the NFL except for Ben?

When Le'veon Bell comes back, they'll even be younger.

There are going to be growing pains as the young OL develops cohesion and develops as individual players. Same for the young TEs until Miller returns.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wwhickok

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with creating cohesion is none of them can stay healthy.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:

1. Lose the sack battle

yoy don't chalk it up to being outplayed because the steelers have one of the youngest starting offenses in the NFL except for Ben?

There are going to be growing pains as the young OL develops cohesion and develops as individual players. Same for the young TEs until Miller returns.

People complain about older players and say we need to get younger then make excuses for the younger guys who are playing. Bell was a horrible pick...mainly because I wanted Lacey Twisted Evil

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacy averaged 2.9 YPC and racked up about 40 yards. So, he outperformed the Steelers backs today. I'd rather wait until Bell actually steps on to the field before I call him a poor pick.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:

1. Lose the sack battle

There are going to be growing pains as the young OL develops cohesion and develops as individual players. Same for the young TEs until Miller returns

I can understand being a young starting OL, but that is no excuse for the effort. Again, it is not the loss, but rather the effort.

I can deal with growing pains as long as the effort is 100%. The team seemed flat on offense. I don't fault the OL for the problems. Ben was off target on throws, Sanders dropped a couple balls. The timing and cohesion was off. They have gone through an entire off season, camp and preseason. The effort should have been better from everyone on the offense including Todd Haley. It was a very ugly loss.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
whit09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have remembered Tomlin sounding that rattled, ever, during a presser. Even after playoff losses.

Time to can Haley now while there's still a slight amount of hope.

Personally, I though the doomsayers this year were going a bit over the top, but after this performance...............

...Thanks to UofMfan909
Rygar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
Elite QB's will elevate the play of the players around them despite the circumstances.

Even "elite" QBs can't open holes for the RBs or prevent WRs from dropping passes. And if it takes less than three seconds for a QB to get sacked after the ball is snapped, then it's really not on him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rygar wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
Elite QB's will elevate the play of the players around them despite the circumstances.

Even "elite" QBs can't open holes for the RBs or prevent WRs from dropping passes. And if it takes less than three seconds for a QB to get sacked after the ball is snapped, then it's really not on him.

Ben was at fault just as much as the WRs. Ben was throwing high passes for most of the day. The WRs especially Sanders (despite his drops) bailed Big Ben out a few times.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where were all these high passes?
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Where were all these high passes?
above the head... Razz Laughing Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: