Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roethlisberger-Uncertainty about Titans defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Roethlisberger-Uncertainty about Titans defense Reply with quote

Week 1 usually entails a level of mystery about the opponent, and this game is no exception. With Greg Williams coming on board and the Titans showing only glimpses of the varied fronts they have talked about using, the Steelers offense is going to have a tough time preparing.

Roethlisberger acknowledged as much:
"Well, I think theyíve done a good job of disguising. Are they going to be an old Saints type defense? Are they going to be the Titans defense from last year? Are they going to be what we saw in the preseason? Are they disguising things in the preseason? Iím not quite sure what to expect, but weíre kind of anticipating a little bit of everything."

"Thatís kind of why I said I donít know what to expect because you donít know whoís going to be calling the defense, who was calling it in the preseason. If you look at Coach Williamsí defenses of the past, it was a lot of confusing, a lot of blitzing, a lot of cover zeros and just trying to get after the quarterback, get after the pass game. So, thatís kind of what weíre expecting to see."
http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Ben-Roethlisberger-Expects-A-Lot-of-Blitzing-from-Titans/b3338fa7-6111-48cf-9e21-887dd7744542

Talking to a few of the Titans fans, they seem to be looking to use some 3-4 principals. Wimbley is now a role player and they are starting Ropati Pitoitua. He's a massive man at 6'8, 300 lbs. They went out and signed Sammie Hill to beef up the interior. They are asking their OLB's, particularly Ayers, to rush the passer more. They have shown a few of the different fronts in pre-season.

The closest comparison I can think of is Seattle. I can't recall Williams doing this at his other stops. This image shows what I'm talking about

A few things stand out here to me not mentioned in the link. First, Morgan has flipped and is playing the weak side. He is listed, nominally, as the LDE. So, right away you see they are going to move guys around. Ayers is stacked on the line, and Pollard is up in the box.

Going deeper, Morgan is lined up outside the TE, similar to how Seattle uses their pass rushing end or even how Philly uses their wide-9. You can see this again here:

Morgan is again on the weak side and lined up wide. Once he reads the bootleg, he drops back to help in coverage. Ayers remains on the strong side of the play, though he is off the line on this one and does a poor job of play recognition and makes a weak attempt to disrupt the route. The talent running the scheme is questionable, but in week 1 and with the slop of the Steelers offense, I worry it may lead to dumb mistakes.

Both tackles are going to see a dose of Ayers/Morgan, which could also cause some issues.

Wrinkles like this always worry me, especially with the OL issues the team has. There is little film on the Titans scheme and if there is extra time for the pass rush to hit home, the Ttians have some high motored guys who will do it. Haley's short passing attack, if that's the focus here, also seems a bit more risky than normal. Roethlisberger and the OL could have issues identifying the rushers on any given play. With Pollard, they are also going to try and clog the short and middle area of the field to stop the run and the short pass. This looks like a team best attacked to the outside and vertically.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic was ignored. Seems prescient.
Rygar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

I forgot the Titans hired Gregg Williams. Regardless of what people might think of him, he's proven to be an excellent defensive coordinator.

It didn't help that the offensive line played very poorly today.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

it really was.

OP is a psychic.
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Titans go up against the Texans twice a year, who are one of (if not the best) zone blocking teams in the league. If anybody is used to going up against that front or practice going against it - it will be defenses and defensive coordinators of the AFC South. Combine this with our inexperience running this scheme and injuries and bad coaching and we were primed to be limited - and we were. OP was onto something.

Thanks Lyasr 529
Rygar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMashMouthMike wrote:
The Titans go up against the Texans twice a year, who are one of (if not the best) zone blocking teams in the league. If anybody is used to going up against that front or practice going against it - it will be defenses and defensive coordinators of the AFC South. Combine this with our inexperience running this scheme and injuries and bad coaching and we were primed to be limited - and we were. OP was onto something.

Something else to think about: Maurkice Pouncey calls out all the blocking assignments for the line, so losing him four minutes into the game and replacing him with somebody who practiced at T and TE all week was bound to make everybody look lost. The offensive line was essentially blindfolded after Pouncey's injury.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Pouncey was holding this line together, then god help us all.

Quote:

I get the point here, but I think this is a weak point. The team had negative yardage at one point. I feel like I'm reversing your point from the other thread, but they just manhandled the Steelers up front. The scheme only aided them in doing that, in terms of passing and rushing.

Zone or not, most teams destroyed that same personnel last year. Greg Williams is the only real difference, and his defenses have generally been overrated.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

Quote:

I get the point here, but I think this is a weak point. The team had negative yardage at one point. I feel like I'm reversing your point from the other thread, but they just manhandled the Steelers up front. The scheme only aided them in doing that, in terms of passing and rushing.

Zone or not, most teams destroyed that same personnel last year. Greg Williams is the only real difference, and his defenses have generally been overrated.

Overrated how? His defenses are known for being physical, exotic blitzes, getting turnovers, and not giving up alot of points. Sure they may give up the yards but points is what matters. He brings the best out his players and that's what the Titans needed with such a young defense.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have his teams ranked by points per game? They are aggressive and sometimes force turnovers. He is not a premier defensive coordinator in my book. Competent, but not great.

The Titans, based on pre-season and week 1, aren't exactly playing the same scheme his defenses usually have.
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Where have his teams ranked by points per game? They are aggressive and sometimes force turnovers. He is not a premier defensive coordinator in my book. Competent, but not great.

The Titans, based on pre-season and week 1, aren't exactly playing the same scheme his defenses usually have.

Calling people overrated without backing it up with stats, and in the same sentence asking questions about the guy who you're calling overrated makes you look silly, just FYI...

mission27 wrote:
Mesa_Titan is God.

#JDI
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

That's because he's not our defensive coordinator. I actually kind of feel for Jerry Gray, no matter how much his unit improves this season, all of the credit will go to Williams. Granted, the increased blitzing is likely a Williams influence, but the defensive sets themselves I'm sure are a work of both of them.

Also, as I said before the game, it's also the same players that finished in the top ten in 2011. I'll still stand by that statement. Laughing

Adopted Titans - Sammie Lee Hill and Jackie Battle
Rygar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

For the first game, yes, he was. It's a weekly thing with the blocking assignments. Whoever practices at C this week will be the one to learn and call the blocking assignments in the next game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this...while its hard to say how good the Titans defense will be this season, they are very fast, which I think is the type of defense we will struggle with. Our offense doesnt have much speed and our OLineman outside of Pouncey and DeCastro have awful footwork and struggle with speed. Thats probably why we struggled so much more once Pouncey went down (that and having no real depth behind him).

Fortunately, most defenses dont have the speed the Titans do. Not saying we will definitely be better, but I think it was a poor matchup for our offense. Also, I think the Titans defense is better than most people think due to their struggles last year.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and in the same sentence asking questions about the guy who you're calling overrated makes you look silly, just FYI...

It was a rhetorical question I knew the answer to. I would have thought it was apparent.

Greg Williams has had defenses average a ranking of 13th in terms of points allowed over 12 NFL seasons as a defensive coordinator. His 2009 Saints defense ranked 20th, but they were 2nd in turnovers.
s_camp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

Quote:

I dunno, Hill and Pitoitua are new on the line (2/4 players), Fokou is new at MLB (1/3 players), and Pollard is new in the secondary (1/4). Four out of 11 starters new this year. Some new players further down the depth chart took some snaps also, I believe. I'm not saying any of these guys are All-Pros or huge difference makers, but they are different and they seem more effective so far.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: