Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fullback Position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grizmo78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Fullback Position Reply with quote

Im baffled as to why we don't have a true fullback on this team. Vonta Leach was a free agent this year and has proven to be able to run block for some of the best running teams, but what separates him is how reliable he is catching the ball out of the back field. Taking a look at all of the best running teams in the NFL, all have a true fullback… Why did we not pick him up?

I understand we go more in a one RB set so he wouldnt see the field as often, but if he was on the team wouldn't a 2 back set for at the very least first down be worth it? I have zero confidence in making a first down running it three times in a row. Ever. I doubt that would ever happen in a game for us this year. I just read an article (forgot which one) that makes this point more clear. We were up 22 points and Manning was still throwing… why? cuz we can't run. Why? cuz we don't have a fullback. Thats my take.
broncospride95

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ball had 5 carries for 20 yards before the Ravens went to a strict run defending defense since they knew the Broncos were running the ball.

Hillman had 4 carries for 15 yards.

Moreno had 9 for 28 yards.

63 yards on 18 carries which comes out to 3.5 YPC (minus the 3 Ball carries where he picked up 2, 1, and 1 yards). Not good, but not nearly as bad as some media pundits are making it out to be by citing a 2.8 YPC which includes Peyton's -2 yards on 2 carries and Ball's three runs in garbage time.

Ravens run defense is actually pretty stout with Ngata manning the middle of that defense. I'm not discouraged by this game; I think the run game will pick up in the coming weeks.

Props to Joe_is_the_best on the sig

Blackhawks-Broncos-Bulls-CU-Cubs
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To say that we could not run because we lacked a fullback is pretty simplistic. If we wanted to have a FB in on a certain play, have Green line up before the RB. He may not have the same mass as Leach of FA Robinson do, but he can block adequately, offers more Delanie Walker-like versatility than both of them, and is cheaper.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that discourage by this game either. Our pass stack was dominant and I think we will be more committed to the run in the future, once the line and backs are more comfortable/established and against worse run defenses. It wasnt pretty, but I'm not upset about it yet.

Also, we have such a good short passing attack with bubble screens and Wes welker....I obviously would like us to have a better running game, but we do have a short passing attack that is so much more consistent and better than probably any team.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one play where they had Julius Thomas motion in to the fullback position and lead block on a run. This is probably what they'll go with in any fullback style lead run blocking.

I'd rather have the 4 weapons we had receiving the ball on the field Thursday than a blocking fullback. That's the way todays NFL looks... fullbacks a dying position and unless you have a guy like Leach or Marcel Reece who is head and shoulders above the rest of the league, you can do just fine without one, like we did Thursday.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running the ball is more about commitment and attitude than position. Shanahan used to preach that.

I don't think we have either. Lets hope we never need it. It doesn't seem to me we're any more capable of getting a 1st down on the ground when we need it than we were last year with a championship on the line.
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Running the ball is more about commitment and attitude than position. Shanahan used to preach that.

I don't think we have either. Lets hope we never need it. It doesn't seem to me we're any more capable of getting a 1st down on the ground when we need it than we were last year with a championship on the line.

I think you need to give this new line more of a chance

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
To say that we could not run because we lacked a fullback is pretty simplistic. If we wanted to have a FB in on a certain play, have Green line up before the RB. He may not have the same mass as Leach of FA Robinson do, but he can block adequately, offers more Delanie Walker-like versatility than both of them, and is cheaper.

the transition from TE to FB is not as easy as you make it sound a big difference between blocking off the line and havinng to go and hit someone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: