Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Casserly has RGIII 4th amongst young qbs also

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Casserly has RGIII 4th amongst young qbs also Reply with quote

I was listening to the Junkies this morning on 106.7 The Fan and a shocking to some, but maybe not to all revelation was made by Charlie Casserly. He gave a list of the young qbs-in a redraft of sorts- of last years first year quarterbacks. This was similar to what Ron Jaworski (Jaws) did last month, only Jaws did his list of all starting quarterbacks.

Casserly ranked the 5 first year quarterbacks from last year as follows:

1. Andrew Luck

Charlie said what most had said about Luck before the draft and even some last year during the season.

a. He did more with less, than any other first year quarterback- meaning he had the least amount of talent around him or help to become a success.

b. He again compared Luck to a once in a generation type quarterback who can read defenses like a ten year vet, fit balls into tight spaces, is athletic and extremely smart.

2/3. He went back and forth between Russell Wilson and Colin Kapernick.

He said that he really couldn't decide between the two. He thought that Wilson was a better prospect coming out of college but many thought his height would hold him back. He then said that Kapernick came on at the end of the year and played better.

4. Robert Griffin III

To my initial surprise Casserly had RGIII number 4 on this list, but when he went through the reasons, I had to honestly agree with him.

a. RGIII is still not as good as the others at reading NFL defenses, which is understandable given the offense he came from in college.

b. RGIII is not great as a drop back passer yet, he said he's still not great at throwing into tight windows.

c. He said that RGIII is not good at going through at his progressions yet. He's not good at getting to his second and third options in the route tree or finding his outlets on passing plays.

d. The pistol and read option helped RGIII out the most of any of the 5 first year young quarterbacks last year. RGIII's ability to run and the read option fakes to Alfred Morris opened up passing lanes that the other quarter backs sometimes used through play action or the read option, but overall the read option helped RGIII more.

These were things that I brought up before we traded up to take RGIII in the draft. Honestly, on many Redskins Forum blogging sites I got blasted for having that opinion. It's not RGIII's fault, it's the offense that he ran at Baylor which doesn't prepare you for NFL caliber defenses.

The good news is that RGIII is extremely smart, an extremely hard worker and will continue to improve as a passer. He is easily the hardest working of these 4 young quarterbacks. I have no doubt in my mind that he will study film and become great at reading defenses. I also believe he will learn to go through his progressions as he plays more NFL games. He will become better at finding his second, and third receivers and outlet receivers instead of always relying on his athleticism to get himself out of trouble.

In time, I believe he can be the best quarterback of this young group, but currently, it is hard to argue with both Jaws' and Casserly's list and assessment of RGIII as a pocket passer.

One more thing that Casserly said that was troubling is RGIII will only participate in 7 on 7s and not 11 on 11s so far in camp. It is also a question as to if he will participate in a preseason game at all. This is troubling because that is the time when the offense gets to go against the entire defense. It is when RGIII gets to practice more reading an entire defense, going through his progressions and becoming a better pocket passer.

Again though, if he doesn't do much 11 on 11 and play in preseason, this is something that RGIII will just improve upon throughout the season. I have no doubt in my mind that he will become one of the top passers in the NFL in time- without the help of the read option- it's just a question as to when that time will be. I think RGIII and the passing offense will be improved this year, but it might not be until 2014 when we truly see the passing offense explode.

Last edited by turtle28 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sassan11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had just said a little while back that I thought Luck was better than RG3 and got a lot of negative responses. Personally my order is..........

Luck
Kaepernick
RG3
Wilson
Tannehill

Obviously this order can change but this is just after this past season.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sassan11 wrote:
I had just said a little while back that I thought Luck was better than RG3 and got a lot of negative responses. Personally my order is..........

Luck
Kaepernick
RG3
Wilson
Tannehill

Obviously this order can change but this is just after this past season.
yeah you did and I was one of those, but listening to Casserly this morning really made me realize that RGIII needs to improve as a passer in the pocket. Again, I believe he will but this knee injury is slowing his development as a pocket passer a little bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MKnight82

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make up your mind turtle! Laughing Around a week ago in the Jaws QB ranking thread you said you thought RG3 was the best of the rookie QBs and a top 7-8 QB in the NFL!

Thanks to mike23md for the sig
Brian23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how anyone can say RGIII can't throw into tight windows, or that he's not got a basic understanding of progressions and how to read a defense.

There really is no reason for any of the rookie QB's to be over him. Kaep only due to being in the Superbowl and I'd STILL take Griffin over him.
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Make up your mind turtle! Laughing Around a week ago in the Jaws QB ranking thread you said you thought RG3 was the best of the rookie QBs and a top 7-8 QB in the NFL!
im allowed to change my opinion. Wink I don't think I said 7, I thought we ultimately came to an agreement that he's 8 to 12.

For Jaws' list I was looking at RG3 as the total package. Including his running. That's why I had him higher. Casserly was talking about his in the pocket play and that's what changed my mind. IMO there's a difference between in the pocket and how well a Qb is at everything. When you look that the total package, it moves RG3 up
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jut heard on NFLN fom Kurt Warner that after a hot start, defenses seemed to slow down Kapernick in the passing game.

In 5 of the final 6 games of the 2013 season Kapernick completed less than 60% of his passes.

http://www.nfl.com/player/colinkaepernick/2495186/profile
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
I don't see how anyone can say RGIII can't throw into tight windows, or that he's not got a basic understanding of progressions and how to read a defense.

There really is no reason for any of the rookie QB's to be over him. Kaep only due to being in the Superbowl and I'd STILL take Griffin over him.

Well, even our own Redskins players said that Cousins trusts his arm more, goes through his progressions better, and is like a computer. Striking differences athletically and how they play the game.

Alot of people noted a tendency for RG3 to run after his first couple reads were covered. Honestly, in his defense, he was under some heavy pressure with our questionable line.

And I must say the only reason I would rate him under those other guys is his injury. That's IT. Because when he becomes a complete QB his skills are mind-blowing.

Also, all this talk of him not reading Defenses and even though he may have run early no one is mentioning that he threw only 5 interceptions all year. So while he wasn't as patient as some would like, he wasn't tossing it to the other team like Luck
Marcus21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why so many people are so high on kapernick.... I prolly didn't spell tha right sorry.... Alex smith did just as well with the same team!!! 49ers D and O line would help any QB.
Luck is a great QB, but he threw a Lot of picks!!!! Sure he had more attempts but that's a lot of picks! I see the Colts taking a huge step back this year!
Give me griff all day!!!
tyler735

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Brian23 wrote:

Well, even our own Redskins players said that Cousins trusts his arm more, goes through his progressions better, and is like a computer. Striking differences athletically and how they play the game.

Alot of people noted a tendency for RG3 to run after his first couple reads were covered. Honestly, in his defense, he was under some heavy pressure with our questionable line.

And I must say the only reason I would rate him under those other guys is his injury. That's IT. Because when he becomes a complete QB his skills are mind-blowing.

Also, all this talk of him not reading Defenses and even though he may have run early no one is mentioning that he threw only 5 interceptions all year. So while he wasn't as patient as some would like, he wasn't tossing it to the other team like Luck

I got RG3 number 1 out of all the young QB's. Been a huge RG3 fan since his freshman year at Baylor. The offense that he ran last year didn't really let him show off his strengths as much as it could have. At times they opened it up for RG3...8 td's in a 2 game stretch after the bye week. Watching RG3 at Baylor, he didn't run that much, he only ran when he needed to. He was complete pass first mentality by his last season (he had more of a run first mentality during his freshman season, but as he developed at Baylor he turned a lot more pass first oriented).

I think this season RG3 is going to show a lot more with his arm than last year, but just judging all 4 QB's on arm talent from what I've seen of their capabilities in college/pros, I have been most impressed with RG3. He really impressed me his last two seasons at Baylor with his arm, and when given the opportunity last year, he showed glimpses of what he is capable of. I think he was well on his way to showing some of those capabilities until the Ngata hit on his knee against Baltimore, he was really starting to get on a roll up until then after the bye week. I should also mention that not enough can be said about RG3's ability to limit turnovers, last year wasn't an anomaly either, he was great at not turning the ball over every season at Baylor.

Kaepernick has an elite line, a very good RB, an elite TE, and a solid group of WR's to work with. He gets a lot of help from his team around him. That said, he only has shown a half a season this far, so who knows how well he will do in an entire season. He has great velocity on his throws, but he lacks touch. From the games I've seen he tries to rocket every throw at his WR's, and doesn't get much air under some of his deep balls, which looks like something that could be problematic in the future. Hard to say with Kaepernick, he's a wildcard, he has as much talent as almost any QB in the league, but could easily be the worst of the 4, just need to see what he can do in a full season.

Wilson is talented I have him as my number 2 behind RG3. He doesn't quite have the physical tools that RG3 has, but he still has a very solid arm, and great accuracy. He is also very good at limiting turnovers. His ability to improvise is phenomenal.

Luck was very overrated coming out of college. He is not Peyton Manning, the comparisons just aren't fair. That said, he is very talented, but he needs to show that he can limit turnovers this season. He made a lot of questionable throws last season, and needs to display better decision making this season. He has the worst arm of the 4 QB's, and at times it showed last season. He tried to make throws that he could get away with in college, that are INT's in the NFL. He is a smart QB, and goes through his progressions well, but needs to know his limitations, and not force balls.

It's still early, but as long as RG3 stays healthy I have him as the best of the 4 QB's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: