Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers have the second-most unstable fan base in the NFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rygar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Steelers have the second-most unstable fan base in the NFL Reply with quote

According to a study by professors at Emory University, the Steelers have the second-most unstable fan base in the NFL based on the ratio of negative to positive "tweets" on Twitter for a period of three days after a loss. Only the Raiders had more unstable fans.

This study dovetails wonderfully with all the crybaby [inappropriate/removed] I've seen from Steeler fans since the beginning of 2012. Somebody earlier today talked about how annoying all the know-it-all armchair coaches/GMs are in our fan base, and they're correct. There's now empirical evidence of their existence in numbers far too large.

Here's the list of all 32 teams:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me that's a very short sighted way of determining how unstable a fan base is. Thats selecting a certain group of people(twitter users) and certain time frame to determine overall results.

For instance, last year Indy fans had a major upgrade to the previous year, coupled by excitement from their new Qbs and were also motivated by a sick coach with a team rallying for him. I couldn't imagine why they would have had more positive tweet...

Not knocking you of course but studies like this always both me lol
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas 32? Thats funny

I know more fickle Cowboy fans who turn on their players at the drop of a hat.

This is a dumb study IMO

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Guys, Let's all make positive tweets from here on out! Then we can be the most "stable" fanbase! Yay! Dancing
What one calls unstable another may call passionate. And Cowboys at 32 is a joke.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Ok Guys, Let's all make positive tweets from here on out! Then we can be the most "stable" fanbase! Yay! Dancing
What one calls unstable another may call passionate. And Cowboys at 32 is a joke.

This.

Twitter itself is one big joke if you ask me. People, including players, say more garbage on their then anything. Cowboys fans the most stable? Yeah..OKAY!!.. Give me a fkn' break. Oakland, yep, I can buy that as the #1 most unstable although I STILL think that's inaccurate, I just think they're one of the more passionate fanbases.

This is such a small dose of analysis that it's almost based on nothing at all.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to get worked up about. It is a study by marketing people that just use fans that post on twitter. Talk about a small subset of the overall fan base. Then they make generalizations about the entire fan base. Any statistician would have a field day with the holes in their data.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Nothing to get worked up about. It is a study by marketing people that just use fans that post on twitter. Talk about a small subset of the overall fan base. Then they make generalizations about the entire fan base. Any statistician would have a field day with the holes in their data.

This is another point. You don't go on twitter to say nothing. Either your gonna have a positive remark or a negative remark. You don't tweet..."I really feel nothing about this game". Duh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is hardly the most reliable study, I'm just going to see the humor in it. Steelers fans tend to have ridiculous standards, as does the spoiled Pats fanbase. For Steelers fans, this is especially true with the defense. They are expected to be dominant every year, and if they allow 20 points in a game the world is ending and everyone needs to be fired.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was an extremely scientific sampling.

...you have a forum resume?
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacksonville's five fans must really tweet a lot to be ranked 12th.

I'm very disappointed that we weren't able to finish first. Maybe next year Steeler Nation.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the reigning MVP's sig!
Josh C Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least I'm one of the stable one's.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gibbons

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if Philly is down at 30 then this has no basis on reality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: