Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NEWS and NOTES: FOOTBALL IS BACK EDITION!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: NEWS and NOTES: FOOTBALL IS BACK EDITION!!!!! Reply with quote

Quote:
Brandon George ‏@DMN_George 34m
Brian Waters is No. 64 and DE Rayford is No. 95 for Cowboys.

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 32m
Brian Waters, No. 64, working at right guard with the second-team offensive line. pic.twitter.com/gYWx73H5W9
First-team Cowboys o-line (from left to right): Tyron, Leary, Frederick, Bernadeau and Free.

Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 33m
Spencer in weight room. Not on field for practice. That doesn't bode well for Sunday
Waters is at backup right guard behind Bernardeau
Stephen jones said the line is no longer a question mark with the addition of waters as it upgrades the starting line and bolsters depth
Stephen jones said bernadeau goes from starter to a quality backup with starting experience
The cowboys are still hopeful that spencer can practice Thursday and play spot duty on Sunday

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 32m
Free is back at RT with Bernadeau at RG.
Anthony Spencer is in the weight room as practice begins, though Garrett says he anticipates Spencer doing something on the practice field.

Just leave Waters out in this 100-degree heat a couple of hours and he will either be in football shape or having heat stroke.
Dunbar is walking out to do rehab work. He is not dressed for practice.
McCray and Dunbar are unlikely for Sunday, but they still are holding out hope that Spencer can get some spot duty.

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez 23m
Whatever's wrong with Micah Pellerin, he's moving pretty good in rehab. Practice squad guy, though.
Cowboys list Brian Waters at 6-3, 320 today. Listed at 6-3, 318 by the Patriots in 2011.

Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 31m
Ronald Leary is at LG and Mackenzy Bernadeau at RG with 1-team.
Stephen Jones said the Waters signing doesn't hurt them from making other moves in free agency.
Stephen Jones also expects Bernadeau to fight for his starting job. "He's not going to just give it away."

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 31m
Ronald Leary is working with the starters at LG with Mackenzy Bernadeau at RG. Brian Waters working with 2s at RG.
Stephen Jones: Brian Waters "a pro and he takes care of himself. Obviously, if u turn on tape from NE 2 years ago, he's a helluva player."

Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 30m
No Anthony Spencer, Danny McCray, Lance Dunbar at practice.

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC 32m
First line at walkthrough portion is Leary LG, Bernadeau RG, Free RT. Waters working in at RG with second group

@fishsports #cowboys personnel dept. tells me they believe Rayford has leverage advantage allowing him to play weak AND strong-side DE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I don't do the twitter thing, I like seeing all these posts grouped together. Thanks Matts.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-1/Infographic-A-Detailed-Look-At-The-Roster-Breakdown/f7da4ed2-63bb-4826-92d6-28f72e63ecfc

Quote:
hey have 23 draft picks, 12 undrafted free agents, five players via street free agency, seven players via unrestricted free agency, two from practice squads and one each from a trade, waiver claim and exclusive rights free agent.

Draft picks (23): Jason Witten (2003, third round), DeMarcus Ware (2005, first round), Jason Hatcher (2006, third round), Anthony Spencer (2007, first round), Doug Free (2007, fourth round), Orlando Scandrick (2008, fifth round), Dez Bryant (2010, first round), Sean Lee (2010, second round), Tyron Smith (2011, first round), Bruce Carter (2011, second round), DeMarco Murray (2011, third round), David Arkin (2011, fourth round), Dwayne Harris (2011, sixth round), Morris Claiborne (2012, first round), Kyle Wilber (2012, fourth round), James Hanna (2012, sixth round), Travis Frederick (2013, first round), Gavin Escobar (2013, second round), Terrance Williams (2013, third round), J.J. Wilcox (2013, third round), B.W. Webb (2013, fourth round), Joseph Randle (2013, fifth round), DeVonte Holloman (2013, sixth round).

Undrafted free agents (12): Tony Romo (2003), Miles Austin (2006), Barry Church (2010), Phil Costa (2010) Danny McCray (2010), Dan Bailey (2011), Phillip Tanner (2011), Cole Beasley (2012), Lance Dunbar (2012), Ronald Leary (2012), Ben Bass (2012), Jeff Heath (2013).

Unrestricted free agents (7): Brandon Carr (2012), Mackenzy Bernadeau (2012), Kyle Orton (2012) Justin Durant (2013), Will Allen (2013), Eric Frampton (2013), Ernie Sims (2013)

Street free agents (5): L.P. Ladouceur (2005), George Selvie (2013), Landon Cohen (2013), Chris Jones (2011), Nick Hayden (2013)

Practice squads (2): Jermey Parnell (2010, New Orleans), Darrion Weems (2012, Denver)

Exclusive rights free agent (1): Andre Smith (2012)

Waiver (1): Kyle Bosworth (New York Giants)

Trade (1): Edgar Jones (Kansas City Chiefs)

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4714044/how-the-cowboys-built-their-roster

Quote:
Arguably, the stat most associated with Dallas Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray is that during his first two seasons in the NFL, the Cowboys are 9-0 when he carries at least 18 times in a game.

Now, that’s largely because the Cowboys played well in those games and ran Murray to control clock and hang on to a lead.

Many experts believe if the Cowboys get a healthy Murray for an entire season it will greatly improve their chances of reaching the postseason.

Former three-time Pro Bowl running back Terrell Davis said he doesn’t necessarily see it that way.

During a recent segment on NFL Network, Davis, a two-time Super Bowl champion with the Denver Broncos, used a highlight of Murray running against the New York Giants to illustrate his point that the third-year back doesn’t do a good job of running to daylight.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/09/terrell-davis-critical-of-cowboys-demarco-murray-says-hes-very-consistent-at-being-inconsistent.html/

Quote:
The name stays the same, but the game changes.

Skills deteriorate with age; injuries hamper a player's speed, cutting ability and range of motion. NFL players battle a constant ebb and flow throughout their careers.

For Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin, hamstring injuries have led to more ebbs than flows the past few years.

We've noticed in preseason action, though, that Austin finally is moving better than he has since his breakout 2009 season. Coach Jason Garrett agrees.

"We were all very proud of how Miles played last year because he wasn't himself," Garrett said, via ESPNDallas.com. "He had a very productive year for us playing opposite Dez (Bryant) and opposite (Jason Witten) in our passing game, and did a lot of good things for us, but he seems like he's back to what we've seen in the past. He has quickness. He has explosiveness."

That renewed explosiveness should help Austin reverse a trend that has seen his yards-after-catch averages drop in four successive seasons. Perhaps a more telling statistic comes via Pro Football Focus: Tony Romo's 2012 passer rating on throws to Austin was 87.0 versus a gaudy 123.2 figure on throws in Bryant's direction.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237698/article/miles-austins-explosiveness-is-back-boys-coach-says

Quote:
One of the first moves Jason Garrett made as head coach of the Cowboys was to install digital clocks at the club’s practice facility.

Now, no one at Valley Ranch can lose track of time.

Time is always a precious commodity. But it hits some Cowboys harder than others as the 2013 season gets under way.

Owner Jerry Jones. Garrett. Quarterback Tony Romo. Defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. In different ways, time is running out on each of these key figures.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20130904-cowboys-preview-what-you-need-to-know-as-we-tick-down-to-the-2013-season.ece

Quote:
What will be Romo’s legacy? Will he be the next Staubach or Troy Aikman — who have combined for five Super Bowl wins — or will he fall woefully short?

Aikman has said Romo is a better quarterback than he was and believes Romo will lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win one day.

Pro Football Hall of Famers Aikman and Staubach believe in him. But time is running out on Romo to make believers out of his critics.

This team is going to win a Super Bowl at some point. It’s going to be exciting when that time comes,” Romo said. “And when we look back, we know who was on what side of the fence during the tough moments.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20130903-cowboys-qb-tony-romo-this-team-is-going-to-win-a-super-bowl.ece

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obviously, the jury is out on how good this football team, or any team in the league, will be in 2013.

We think we know who will be good, bad and average.

For the Cowboys, I think most of us would agree this is a team that will be highly competitive in every game and has a chance to compete for a playoff spot. And if the ball bounces right, which it hasn’t in three years, and they stay healthy, which also hasn’t happened, they could win the NFC East and possibly do something in the playoffs.

All that being said, I think the Cowboys will be a good team in 2013.

And the fact that all seven draft picks not only made the team, but will likely be active for Sunday’s opener with the Giants should speak volumes for the way they drafted this year.
------------------------------------

Since 1994, the first year the NFL went down to just seven rounds, the Cowboys have had just four seasons when all of the drafted players eventually made the roster. Only twice have they all made it coming out of training camp – 2004 and 2000, when they had just five picks.

Assuming Joseph Randle is active this week with Lance Dunbar (foot) still out, the Cowboys are expected to have all seven players suit up for this game – and that would be first in the last 20 years.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Eatman-Jury-Still-Out-But-%E2%80%9913-Draft-Class-Already-Impressive-/82ed482b-a660-4f03-a132-8a6bac164a02

Quote:
The nickel position in this scheme, you’ve got more run gaps in some defenses,” the veteran slotback said Monday at Valley Ranch. “So it’s a little bit more on me. It may be a little more showing up in the run game. But I mean, I’m looking forward to it. I’m ready for the challenge.”

Scandrick showed his value to the Cowboys in training camp, where he spent the last two weeks playing outside cornerback in Morris Claiborne’s absence. Coach Jason Garrett praised him for having a strong camp and an offseason in which he was one of the team’s award winners.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/09/orlando-scandrick-may-become-more-visible-player-for-cowboys-in-4-3-defense.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
"We were pleased with those guys coming in and competing for spots and really playing a lot of snaps last year," coach Jason Garrett said. "Salary cap has a lot to do with all the decisions you make and where you want to allocate your resources. We spent a lot of time on defense last year to make sure we [strengthened] the secondary and we made some other moves that we felt could help our offense. Every year, you're going to try and bring people in to create competition to make your team better and we're excited about the guys we have and a lot of competition will be out there."

Livings had a strong start to the 2012 season, but his health slowed his progress. Bernadeau started off slow and his starting job was in doubt during the middle of the season because Derrick Dockery shared first-team snaps with him in practice. But Bernadeau performed better and started two games at center, showing the Cowboys he has position flexibility.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The emotional pain was evident on the faces of players like Jason Witten, Brandon Carr and a lot of others. But it was the physical pain that sticks out the most a little more than eight months later.

Dez Bryant could not stand without help because of back spasms. He needed help to the shower and get dressed. He sat in a first-class seat normally reserved for the coaches on the flight home. Tony Romo could not carry his bag because of what he thought was a broken rib. DeMarcus Ware had a hard time putting his shirt on because of a shoulder injury that would need reconstructive surgery and an elbow injury. Alex Albright nearly collapsed at his locker, his body locking up because of the pain. Dwayne Harris left on crutches. Cole Beasley was in a protective boot. Miles Austin suffered a sprained ankle and limped to the team bus.

As the Cowboys get ready for the 2013 season opener against the New York Giants on Sunday at AT&T Stadium, this is what they carry as a memory as they attempt to break a three-year playoff drought and a two-year run of 8-8 finishes.

“That feeling we had that last game last year, I can feel it in the locker room that there’s a lot of guys that don’t want that feeling anymore,” second-year cornerback Morris Claiborne said. “I feel like our leadership definitely changed since last year. Guys are really stepping up, being vocal and also doing it on the practice field.”

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
The emotional pain was evident on the faces of players like Jason Witten, Brandon Carr and a lot of others. But it was the physical pain that sticks out the most a little more than eight months later.

Dez Bryant could not stand without help because of back spasms. He needed help to the shower and get dressed. He sat in a first-class seat normally reserved for the coaches on the flight home. Tony Romo could not carry his bag because of what he thought was a broken rib. DeMarcus Ware had a hard time putting his shirt on because of a shoulder injury that would need reconstructive surgery and an elbow injury. Alex Albright nearly collapsed at his locker, his body locking up because of the pain. Dwayne Harris left on crutches. Cole Beasley was in a protective boot. Miles Austin suffered a sprained ankle and limped to the team bus.

As the Cowboys get ready for the 2013 season opener against the New York Giants on Sunday at AT&T Stadium, this is what they carry as a memory as they attempt to break a three-year playoff drought and a two-year run of 8-8 finishes.

“That feeling we had that last game last year, I can feel it in the locker room that there’s a lot of guys that don’t want that feeling anymore,” second-year cornerback Morris Claiborne said. “I feel like our leadership definitely changed since last year. Guys are really stepping up, being vocal and also doing it on the practice field.”

This was an excellent read. Also enjoyed the draft choice one.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot to like about this team. Still, leery about putting up any sort of lofty (playoff) expectations. btw, Waters looks to be trim and in excellent condition.

Kiltman on avy Pepper90 on sig
George Selvie Fan Club
TheTechnician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 3m
Brian Waters: "I think this football team is as talented as there is in the NFL. I believe in that."
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“That was a long season, man. That was a long season,” he said. “It was a roller-coaster ride. I felt like we had a curse on us. I was like, ‘What somebody did to God?’ I felt like God just cursed us.”

Hatcher was speaking somewhat light-heartedly with reporters Wednesday at Valley Ranch, but he was serious as he considered his larger point – that the Cowboys went through much adversity last year, considering the number of injuries they suffered, the death of a teammate, the incarceration of another, and the final-week loss that cost them the division and a playoff spot.

“We just had to deal with it,” he said. “That’s the way I feel. Every time we’d get to daylight, here would come the dark. Please don’t bring up last year. We just want to roll in this year, man, start out with the Giants and continue to play great. I hope God just keeps everybody safe on this team and we can go and win us some ballgames and do what we need to do.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/09/cowboys-jason-hatcher-doesnt-want-to-think-about-last-year-i-felt-like-we-had-a-curse-on-us.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
“I do think that it does allow you to become very, very familiar with the opponent. It does allow you to be in position perhaps to be a situation or a play or a series ahead from where you might be if you were the play-caller. It also allows you, I think, to get more involved in special teams, which is so critical.”

Coughlin said he gave up play-calling when he came to the Giants from Jacksonville, and he said he had been “back and forth on it” when he was with the Jaguars.

“I think it’s an individual thing,” Coughlin said. “There’s no general statement about how it should be done. People have obviously done an excellent job of coaching their team and still being the defensive play-caller or the offensive play-caller. I do think it’s an individual- and situational- and knowledge-of-your-franchise-type of decision.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/09/coughlin-says-there-are-benefits-to-a-head-coach-giving-up-play-calling-like-thinking-a-situation-or.html#storylink=cpy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 4 Wide Receivers in NFL history have 200 catches, 2,500 yards, and 25 touchdowns in their first 3 seasons:

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Andre Rison
Dez Bryant

Pretty prestigious company for Dez.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Only 4 Wide Receivers in NFL history have 200 catches, 2,500 yards, and 25 touchdowns in their first 3 seasons:

Jerry Rice
Randy Moss
Andre Rison
Dez Bryant

Pretty prestigious company for Dez.

Julio Jones over his first 2 seasons- 133 rec 2,157 yards 18 TDs
If he gets his catches this year, he could join that club also.

AJ Green 162 rec 2,407 yards 18 TDs
He could also very easily join that group this year, being his third year.
matt79511

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Green and Jones should both hit that pretty easily. Still impressive for Bryant, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: