Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Nate Livings released from IR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Nate Livings released from IR Reply with quote

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 2m

Cowboys released G Nate Livings off of IR, meaning he got an injury settlement.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just like that he is gone. Cool

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my question is, since he got an injury settlement, what does that do with his contract? and how does that affect our CAP?

htfryar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about damn time. I never like Livings and couldn't wait to be rid of him.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
my question is, since he got an injury settlement, what does that do with his contract? and how does that affect our CAP?
found the answer

Quote:
But they still owe him his $1.7 million salary that was guaranteed for 2013.

Quote:
It gives the Cowboys flexibility to re-sign Livings later this season, if they have a need.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/09/cowboys-make-if-official-they-release-nate-livings.html#storylink=cpy

The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good riddance to bad trash
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2. I wonder if Nate Livings will get a chance to play for the Cowboys this season. Wait, you ask, isn’t he on injured reserve? Yes. That normally ends the player’s chance of playing this season and he was not eligible to put on the new returnable IR list, but the Cowboys could always reach an injury settlement with him. For the sake of argument, let’s say the Cowboys give Livings a two-week settlement. They would need to wait another six weeks before they could bring him back. With Livings’ $1.7 million base salary guaranteed, he gets paid no matter what, but the Cowboys could re-sign him after eight weeks. There is an offset in Livings’ deal that would lighten the Cowboys’ required payment. Should he sign with another team for say, $700,000, then the Cowboys would only owe him $1 million. If the Cowboys went this route, then they would effectively be using the offset themselves where they could get the benefit of seeing Livings play if they need offensive line help.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4714037/5-wonders-can-pro-scouts-hit-again

Dont be surprised if he plays for someone this year.

BTW - he wasnt nearly as bad as some of you make him out to be. He played well before he got hurt. It was rough at the end of the year though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
2. I wonder if Nate Livings will get a chance to play for the Cowboys this season. Wait, you ask, isn’t he on injured reserve? Yes. That normally ends the player’s chance of playing this season and he was not eligible to put on the new returnable IR list, but the Cowboys could always reach an injury settlement with him. For the sake of argument, let’s say the Cowboys give Livings a two-week settlement. They would need to wait another six weeks before they could bring him back. With Livings’ $1.7 million base salary guaranteed, he gets paid no matter what, but the Cowboys could re-sign him after eight weeks. There is an offset in Livings’ deal that would lighten the Cowboys’ required payment. Should he sign with another team for say, $700,000, then the Cowboys would only owe him $1 million. If the Cowboys went this route, then they would effectively be using the offset themselves where they could get the benefit of seeing Livings play if they need offensive line help.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4714037/5-wonders-can-pro-scouts-hit-again

Dont be surprised if he plays for someone this year.

BTW - he wasnt nearly as bad as some of you make him out to be. He played well before he got hurt. It was rough at the end of the year though.

I didn't think he was all that terrible either, but for me it's just bad practice wasting cap space and giving a 5 year deal to a 30 year old guy that his former team made no attempt to re-sign.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
I didn't think he was all that terrible either, but for me it's just bad practice wasting cap space and giving a 5 year deal to a 30 year old guy that his former team made no attempt to re-sign.

Meh, as I said 2 years ago:

Matts4313 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Hate both G signings - both getting starter money despite being poor quality starters. I also think it significantly drops our chances if DeCastro

I dont think either got "starter" money. At least, not to the level where we have to keep them. He got 6 Mil and the other guy got like 3 mil guaranteed. that is chump-change. I love the contracts personally, even though I know nothing of the players. I feel like they cant be worse than last year-- and if they are they are easily dumped with so little in guarantees.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=483974&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

His contract was always set up to allow us an out if we found a better solution.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought burningdeuce was worse personally. But injuries change things.
TheTechnician

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was happy with his play last season when he was healthy. It is unfortunate that he isnt healthy this season, but we might not have signed waters if that was the case. Waters should be an upgrade. This is the most optimistic I have felt about our offensive line in years.

Smith=pretty good left tackle, still young and a lot of potential.
Leary=Young, improved a lot this season. Could be starting for us for a long time.
Fredbeard=this kid is going to prove everyone wrong that said we reached.
Waters=last time he played he was one of the best in the league. While it may only be this season, he could provide us with some of the best guard play we have had in years.
Free= looks like he is back to playing like he used to, and wont be such a glaring weakness.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

He played better for you guys than he did with the Bengals. The biggest issue we had with him was that he would get a penalty at the worst possible time. Which didn't seem to be the case last season.

Definitely overpaid but you could do worse at guard. He might make a decent backup somewhere (just hope to god it's not with us)...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: