Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints signing former Chargers WR Robert Meachem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
The LBC wrote:
wow_junky wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
What people seem to be forgetting is that Robert Meachem is one of the better run blocking WRs in the league. At worst, he helps us in that regard.

That's a good point - he was one of PFFs top run blocking WRs in 2012 with us. Not sure we necessarily missed it last year but it's another facet to our offence that will improve this year

I would point out that the stats are slightly skewed by the low incidence of outside runs that Norv Turner calls and the fact that it's fairly easy for a WR on the perimeter to execute an "effective" block on a corner when the run is going at the A or B gap and nowhere near where he is on the field. This isn't speaking to his time with the Saints, but just saying...

Sorry, by 2012 I meant his last season with the Saints. Not sure how he performed last year at blocking In San Diego

After doing a little reference work, I stand by my point. The 2012 Saints were in the bottom 10% of the league for rushing attempts on the season. Smaller sample size makes it much easier to grade out with a favorable result - or in other words less opportunity to yield poor results.

Not saying that his run-blocking may not have been very good, but when it's on a team that runs the ball less than all but 3 other teams in the league like the Saints did in 2012 then it's not nearly as impressive a claim to fame.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
wow_junky wrote:
The LBC wrote:
wow_junky wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
What people seem to be forgetting is that Robert Meachem is one of the better run blocking WRs in the league. At worst, he helps us in that regard.

That's a good point - he was one of PFFs top run blocking WRs in 2012 with us. Not sure we necessarily missed it last year but it's another facet to our offence that will improve this year

I would point out that the stats are slightly skewed by the low incidence of outside runs that Norv Turner calls and the fact that it's fairly easy for a WR on the perimeter to execute an "effective" block on a corner when the run is going at the A or B gap and nowhere near where he is on the field. This isn't speaking to his time with the Saints, but just saying...

Sorry, by 2012 I meant his last season with the Saints. Not sure how he performed last year at blocking In San Diego

After doing a little reference work, I stand by my point. The 2012 Saints were in the bottom 10% of the league for rushing attempts on the season. Smaller sample size makes it much easier to grade out with a favorable result - or in other words less opportunity to yield poor results.

Not saying that his run-blocking may not have been very good, but when it's on a team that runs the ball less than all but 3 other teams in the league like the Saints did in 2012 then it's not nearly as impressive a claim to fame.

What do the 2012 Saints have to do with anything? The last year Meachem was with them in 2011, they had a top-10 rushing offense. They also did in 2009 when they won the Super Bowl.
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS922 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
wow_junky wrote:
The LBC wrote:
wow_junky wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

What do the 2012 Saints have to do with anything? The last year Meachem was with them in 2011, they had a top-10 rushing offense. They also did in 2009 when they won the Super Bowl.

Was going to ask this same question Laughing

Kenny Vaccaro; coming soon to a town near you to screw up your QB's day. ATL first on the knock-off list. #RISEUPFORWHAT
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS922 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
wow_junky wrote:
The LBC wrote:
wow_junky wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

He was the one that brought up 2012. I've done my best to block memories of Robert Meachem's existence on the Chargers from my memory, so the years are a little hazy for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refer to the seasons by the year so the superbowl is in (it's easier to explain seasons that way to people here in the UK I find....) so my comments relate to Meachems last season with the Saints, in 2011/12, when we had a top 10 rushing offence as mentioned.
SWATcha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he suffered a case of culture shock in San Diego, and had trouble adapting to the move? He did go from LSU to New Orleans, so his whole football career previous was spent in Louisiana. Not making excuses for him, but it does happen. Some guys don't adapt well, especially when moving all the way across the country.

On that note, like other Saints fans, I'm on the fence. Seems like a strange move, but if he can return to form under Payton/Brees, it's a low risk/high reward signing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWATcha wrote:
Maybe he suffered a case of culture shock in San Diego, and had trouble adapting to the move? He did go from LSU to New Orleans, so his whole football career previous was spent in Louisiana. Not making excuses for him, but it does happen. Some guys don't adapt well, especially when moving all the way across the country.

On that note, like other Saints fans, I'm on the fence. Seems like a strange move, but if he can return to form under Payton/Brees, it's a low risk/high reward signing.

He went to Tennessee. Confused

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWATcha wrote:
He did go from LSU to New Orleans

SWATCha...get it together Laughing

Kenny Vaccaro; coming soon to a town near you to screw up your QB's day. ATL first on the knock-off list. #RISEUPFORWHAT
game3525

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWATcha wrote:

That is part of the reason, he had problems picking up Norv's playbook. And on top of that, Rivers is a different QB from Brees. Rivers likes to play tall ball with his wideouts and that is a poor fit with a body-catcher like Meachem.
SWATcha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
SWATcha wrote:
He did go from LSU to New Orleans

SWATCha...get it together Laughing

Yaya, my bad. I was thinking Henderson for some stupid reason. I'll put my dunce cap on now and sit in the corner Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWATcha wrote:

I think this is what's happened. In Meachems interview with no media after signing with the Saints, he kept saying how glad he was to be home several times and pretty much said he didn't like SD. Looked like he just woke up from a nightmare. I wonder if he has social anxiety or something and needs to be fully comfortable to perform

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/media-center/videos/Robert-Meachem-its-good-to-be-home/14fb0cfa-256f-431e-84ec-f269fc7d3042
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pookie wrote:
SWATcha wrote:

I think this is what's happened. In Meachems interview with no media after signing with the Saints, he kept saying how glad he was to be home several times and pretty much said he didn't like SD. Looked like he just woke up from a nightmare. I wonder if he has social anxiety or something and needs to be fully comfortable to perform

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/media-center/videos/Robert-Meachem-its-good-to-be-home/14fb0cfa-256f-431e-84ec-f269fc7d3042

Nah he's just terrible and is making excuses for the fact that he was awful in 15 out of 16 games last year. Wink

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
domepatrol91

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Pookie wrote:
SWATcha wrote:

Nah he's just terrible and is making excuses for the fact that he was awful in 15 out of 16 games last year. Wink

That's the thing though, he WAS terrible for you guys. He was always serviceable for us. If he comes back to being a good #3 or #4 guy, then it probably is just a case of a guy not adapting to his surroundings. It's a pretty weak reason, and I'm not sure why it happens, but it does.

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks -
Corey White -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: