Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans sign LB Brian Cushing to 6-year, $55.643M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAS22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
How is this relevant to the topic? Is it really necessary? PLease dont veer off like this, its not really wanted.

I really wasn't the one who started derailing this thread but you're right of course, should be back on topic so it wouldn't get locked.

I'm actually curious to why the Texans didn't wait a year to see if Cushing is 100% back to his pre-injury form before giving him this deal, i figure that he probably is but it's a bit risky on their part not to wait until at least mid-season [although Texans GM Rick Smith has a policy against mid-season extensions] or next off-season before doing this deal with him.

We saw enough in the preseason and in camp. Cushing was flying around like his old self, he even said his leg is stronger than before the injury.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
CAS22 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Cushing's extension is for six years, thru 2019, and worth $55.643 million, with $21 million guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/375013918013657088

Eesh, that's a lot. I'm ok with the guaranteed figure though.

Meh, not bad as I thought it would be. 21 mil guaranteed for a top 1-2 MLB is pretty good.

FIFY

He said he's a "top 3-4" LB, as in, 3-4 defense... what's a 1-2 defense?

Metric conversion, I guess. "3-4 D" in the states must convert to "1-2 D" across the pond. Laughing

Anywho: Great signing, happy we were able to lock up the leader of this D for the next six years. Heard Andre adjusted his current deal to get the team the scratch to make this happen, so kudos to him (even though his "sacrifice" meant he got to walk away with a check for $5.5MM...)

I'm happy. Very Happy

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
That pic brings back great memories of the 2011 playoffs, specifically the Ravens-Texans playoff GDT.

That was actually a fun GDT. I had a good time with you guys. Very Happy

IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of money. It's a good thing they got him locked up, but that seems high even over what a player would get on the open market.

R.I.P. Stylish
riceraider8080

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAS22 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
How is this relevant to the topic? Is it really necessary? PLease dont veer off like this, its not really wanted.

I really wasn't the one who started derailing this thread but you're right of course, should be back on topic so it wouldn't get locked.

I'm actually curious to why the Texans didn't wait a year to see if Cushing is 100% back to his pre-injury form before giving him this deal, i figure that he probably is but it's a bit risky on their part not to wait until at least mid-season [although Texans GM Rick Smith has a policy against mid-season extensions] or next off-season before doing this deal with him.

We saw enough in the preseason and in camp. Cushing was flying around like his old self, he even said his leg is stronger than before the injury.

The deal should give good flexibility later too. He'll likely have a high salary number which they can either...

1. Extend him 3-5 years down the road again to save money
2. Create cap room in future years by converting his probable high salary into signing bonuses if needed(like AJ did to get this deal done)
3. If his play falls off or something happens(age, injury, etc.), they're only locked in for prob 3-4 years before most of the gauranteed money is gone

Great deal for Cushing and the Texans IMO. If he keeps playing the way he always has, he'll be well worth every penny...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His guaranteed money is significantly lower than Willis or Bowman so his contract is fine by me. Both sides get to claim it as a win as he gets the high overall dollar amount, while the Texans get a lower guaranteed salary.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
That pic brings back great memories of the 2011 playoffs, specifically the Ravens-Texans playoff GDT.

That was actually a fun GDT. I had a good time with you guys. Very Happy

We had fun whipping your tail, too. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got no problem with this signing. Cushing gets his money, Texans get a few more prime years before his body breaks down, and the Texans use up a bit of that cap room.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't have a healthy ED Reed, Cushing, and Watt. It....it's just not fair..
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans signed DeMeco to a 6 Year 46.8 Million (21.75 M Guaranteed) extension in 2010. Signing Cushing to a 6 Years 55.6 Million (21.0 M Guaranteed) lets both sides claim victory.

It's a big Total Value, but a low guarantee money. That protects the team on the injury side. The deal will be structured essentially guaranteeing 5.0 Million of the Year 3 Salary. So if he doesn't return to pre-injury form, the Texans will have choices.

It's a big commitment because it really ties the remaining resources into this 'Core' of Players. Combination of resigning Watt eventually with the deals of Cushing & others are significant. Not completely overwhelming, but will necessitate effective drafting to replace Role Players that will hit Free Agency- Notable in 2014 are Nose Tackle Earl Mitchell & TE Garrett Graham.

Basically, making the top end commitments to Schaub, Foster, Cushing, Duane Brown with Watt's deal down the line will force the Texans to say Good Bye to quality role players that overprice the teams resources.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Brady Tribute
rjkgr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happens if hes not the same coming off of injure and they just signed him for basically 10mill a year
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
It's a big commitment because it really ties the remaining resources into this 'Core' of Players. Combination of resigning Watt eventually with the deals of Cushing & others are significant. Not completely overwhelming, but will necessitate effective drafting to replace Role Players that will hit Free Agency- Notable in 2014 are Nose Tackle Earl Mitchell & TE Garrett Graham.

This much I'll say: Before the Texans would let Garrett Graham walk, they would take a long look at the differences between Graham and incumbent starter Owen Daniels. Graham is considered a very similar player - good hands, runs good routes, not the best of blockers - so if Graham could have a solid year (not even a BETTER year than Daniels) I can see the Texans releasing Daniels and his large salary, re-upping with Graham and letting rookie TE Ryan Griffin occupy the #2 TE role.

In regards to Mitchell - he's quickly becoming the player Gary Kubiak was raving about, finally starting to play beyond the expectations had for him. Given that Antonio Smith and his gargantuan deal is up this year, I can see the Texans re-signing Mitchell and rolling the die on 2nd year DE Jared Crick in the spot opposite JJ Watt.

Truth be told, the team WILL have to make some sacrifices, yes - and if I was a betting man, I'd say that Jonathan Joseph and/or Danieal Manning's time in Houston might be short. Both were paid big FA money in 2011, and while they've both had redeeming moments for the team, you eventually have to put a measure of faith in Kareem Jackson becoming a #1 CB, and DJ Swearinger evolving into an in and out the box S.

There's a plan in place, Rick Smith tends to think 2-3 moves in advance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: