Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers sign Chris Harper
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedWhiteNGold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
If he is taking Walkers old role I hope he has better hands. How does he fit in if we got McDonald?

Right now, he kind of doesn't. Its like the Baldwin thing; has to get up to speed, learn everything, and in Harper's case, learn the ins and outs of the position. We have them there if needed, but hopefully it doesn't get so bad that we will ever actually need them. I'd be shocked if he was active on game days at all this season. Eventually though, I think the idea is to have McDonald slide in for VD once VD is gone, and have Harper slide into the H-back role, and then of course have a blocking third tight end.

I am not a fan of that any time soon
iwentundrafted

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedWhiteNGold wrote:
Forge wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
If he is taking Walkers old role I hope he has better hands. How does he fit in if we got McDonald?

Right now, he kind of doesn't. Its like the Baldwin thing; has to get up to speed, learn everything, and in Harper's case, learn the ins and outs of the position. We have them there if needed, but hopefully it doesn't get so bad that we will ever actually need them. I'd be shocked if he was active on game days at all this season. Eventually though, I think the idea is to have McDonald slide in for VD once VD is gone, and have Harper slide into the H-back role, and then of course have a blocking third tight end.

tell me about it. I've convinced myself Gore is still 26.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the talking heads kept saying that McDonald was going to take over Walker's old role... I never saw it. Now with Harper, I can definitely see that. I don't mind trading a backup outside linebacker who has limited potential and picking up a someone who could eventually play a key role on our football team.
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwentundrafted wrote:
RedWhiteNGold wrote:
Forge wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

tell me about it. I've convinced myself Gore is still 26.

Unfortunately, VD is 29 years old. Even though I love him, and he's definitely one of the best blocking tight ends in the game, he's far too inconsistent in the receiving game to make what he's making. Unless you're a complete freak, and put up the numbers of a complete freak, a tight end just isn't worth the money he makes. he's got over an 8 million dollar cap hit this year and over 7.3 in 2014 and 7 million in 2015. If we cut him after the year is over, I think that's 4 million or so in dead money spread over the last two years. While I don't see us cutting him after this year, I don't think he'll see the final year unless he restructures. With Aldon, Kaep, Iupati, potentially crabtree (if we choose to go after him), we are going to need that money, and one could argue that positionally each one of those guys is more valuable than VD. It's the same thing with Gore. Love the guy, but he makes 6.5 million next year and i think all his guaranteed money has been paid out, so there's no dead money. With Hunter, LMJ, and Lattimore inserted next year, there's just no reason that Gore will see the last year of that contract. It's unfortunate, but it's business. The same thing should happen with Ahmad Brooks after this year or next as well. At 29 and an 8 million dollar cap hit each of the next three years, I can't see him sticking around if Lemonier looks like the real deal.

Like I said though, I don't see McDonald replacing VD after this year unless he really blows up, but I can definitely see it after next year.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Swift21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Vernon is being replaced anytime soon. In fact I think he'll be signed to another extension.

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift21 wrote:
I don't think Vernon is being replaced anytime soon. In fact I think he'll be signed to another extension.

Yes, I shouldn't say "he'll be cut". Restructures and paycuts and extensions are all viable options as well.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW 49ers.com has him listed as a WR.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Chris, don't be like Delanie Walker anymore, be someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good pick up and good drop of wallace if we are going to keep colt mccoy!! go niners!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: