Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Question of the Day: Does Winfield Return? (Retires instead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is like another athlete from the Pacific Northwest who had to "retire" due to knee issues...

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHNNNNN!!!
Silver Bullet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retired? No problem. Been there, done that. Looks like it's time for Frazier and Jared Allen to make a trip down south...
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this news ups the journalistic credentials of Tom Pelliserro, who was the first reporter (and only one, i believe...) who reported Winfield may not make Seattle's final roster.

Applause

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
this news ups the journalistic credentials of Tom Pelliserro, who was the first reporter (and only one, i believe...) who reported Winfield may not make Seattle's final roster.

Applause

There's a reason he's now covering the entire league.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:

Applause

I'm blanking, but it seems there was something else he recently scooped before anyone else
Uncle Buck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to see he retired. Antoine had some very good years with us, but he has lost a step or two due to age, and his coverage skills weren't all that great to begin with. He was also pretty short to cover the new breed of big receivers like Megatron. He was an awesome tackler, but I'm ready to move on to Cook and Rhodes, even if there is a slight drop off for a year.

Thanks for the memories Antoine. You were a great Viking. Enjoy your retirement, and best of luck in all your future endeavors after the NFL.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'm happy to see he retired. Antoine had some very good years with us, but he has lost a step or two due to age, and his coverage skills weren't all that great to begin with. He was also pretty short to cover the new breed of big receivers like Megatron. He was an awesome tackler, but I'm ready to move on to Cook and Rhodes, even if there is a slight drop off for a year.

Thanks for the memories Antoine. You were a great Viking. Enjoy your retirement, and best of luck in all your future endeavors after the NFL.

Well said! Woulda loved one more year but I feel we have some good young corners.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should make his way into the Ring of Honor in a couple seasons from now.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winfield, in December 2012: "I've put this body through a lot. My game has never changed. I've played the same way since I was eight years old, when I first put on a helmet. Being this small, hitting these big guys, it adds up. No one can tell me when I'm done playing football. I'll know. I'm not going to be that guy that just lingers. Nah, if I don't think I can go out there and be productive and help a team win, I'll hang them up."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_23991737/antoine-winfield-former-vikings-star-retires-after-14

that would be the hook to reel him back in with...

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if teams would start making an offer after the first week of the regular season, when contracts dont become guaranteed. Id be all for adding Winfield and trying to get him to come out of retirement. The more depth the better at this point. And since MN has 5 CBs, they definitely have room to add one more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I wonder if teams would start making an offer after the first week of the regular season, when contracts dont become guaranteed. Id be all for adding Winfield and trying to get him to come out of retirement. The more depth the better at this point. And since MN has 5 CBs, they definitely have room to add one more.

i'd be fine with guaranteeing Winfield a million or a million and a half, why not?

and if you don't, then it's just another slap toward him.

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

i'd be fine with guaranteeing Winfield a million or a million and a half, why not?

and if you don't, then it's just another slap toward him.

Of course, he deserves it.

However, its common for teams to hold off on adding players until after week 1 so the deal doesnt have to be gaurateed.

I think after the Detroit game, we should get a good idea to where the Vikings stand at the CB position and if additional help is needed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Q: With Antoine Winfield announcing his retirement, what are thoughts on the career he had?

A: I have a ton of respect for Antoine, as you know. He did a lot of good things for us here. He had a great career here at Minnesota and really helped me look good at times with some of the plays he made, so I have a deep affection for him. If he wanted to play, I would welcome the opportunity to work with Antoine again if thatís what he wanted to do but if heís retired, I wish him nothing but the best. Heís been a great player, great person. Heís going to enjoy retirement but heís been a tremendous player for a long time in our league.

Q: Have you reached out to him?

A: I havenít spoken to him. I may give a call today just to wish him well but I havenít spoken to him.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Frazier-On-Roster-Cuts-Injury-Updates-Antoine-Winfield-and-More/8e9fe98a-9d7d-41eb-8c78-c326ce4b9229

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Quote:
Q: With Antoine Winfield announcing his retirement, what are thoughts on the career he had?

A: I have a ton of respect for Antoine, as you know. He did a lot of good things for us here. He had a great career here at Minnesota and really helped me look good at times with some of the plays he made, so I have a deep affection for him. If he wanted to play, I would welcome the opportunity to work with Antoine again if thatís what he wanted to do but if heís retired, I wish him nothing but the best. Heís been a great player, great person. Heís going to enjoy retirement but heís been a tremendous player for a long time in our league.

Q: Have you reached out to him?

A: I havenít spoken to him. I may give a call today just to wish him well but I havenít spoken to him.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Frazier-On-Roster-Cuts-Injury-Updates-Antoine-Winfield-and-More/8e9fe98a-9d7d-41eb-8c78-c326ce4b9229

I think he had to make a call to Jared first to see if he was down with a quick flight! But in all seriousness I wouldn't be surprised at all if Winfield changed his mind. He seemed so pumped for his 15th season. Maybe he waits a few weeks or so but I wouldn't be surprised to see the him dawning the new purple 26.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamarca Sanford: ďI will most definitely call him and try and talk him out of retirement. Iím pretty sure Coach Frazier isnít going to call him or nobody at the top [of the organization] is going to call him. But Iím for sure going to reach out to him and see what heís thinking. Because I know how much he loves the game.Ē

"As long as youíve got a healthy 26, youíve got something there. Things didnít work out in Seattle for him. He would fit back right in here with no problem.Ē

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/222436461.html

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: