Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 3 Team Needs or Weaknesses Based on performance & ro
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to keep this about the 2013 season as opposed to future draft needs.

Willie Gay and CB depth. Curtis Brown has won his job by default. Hopefully he stays healthy and starts to show something.

Tackle play. Adams hasn't looked good throughout the preseason in pass protection, and he isn't doing much in the run game yet. Gilbert has had his issues in pass pro, but has outplayed Adams.

Running back, as of now. I like Redman and have some optimism regarding Howling, but I'm not confident in either to carry the run game until Bell comes back. The OL hasn't shown enough for me to feel comfortable with the team coming out pass happy right out of the gate. The WR's still haven't shown the consistency with holding onto the ball, either.

I think Johnson, Paulson and Palmer are three guys I can live with at TE. Palmer is a very good blocker. Johnson is steady. I think Paulson was misused as a blocker this preseason (he's not a guy you line up in the backfield, or good for a power based run scheme). I think he becomes a decent redzone target, and I like the Beachum wrinkle.

Quote:

as for LT, I think folks need to ease up and give Adams some time. He hasn't exactly had scrubs to line up against. Hali didn't do anything to Adams that he didn't already do to Max Starks. Last season, Hali slammed Ben 3 separate occasions lining up opposite Starks and abused him all game long in the running game.

I think the team spent a lot of time on the run game, and the passing game is going to need time to develop from the WR's down to the OL blocking. But Adams had more than just his issues with Hali.

The run game has looked stronger going to the right side of the field, and it's because Decastro and Gilbert have moved people. Gilbert is the whipping boy going in, but people are being easier on Adams because of a stretch last season where the team ran the ball successfully when he was at RT. He hasn't shown that this preseason.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Realizing it does not quite fit here

Just for 43mafia

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 22m Surprise, surprise: Patriots cut CB Ras-I Dowling.

Just for me?

I wasnt the only one who liked him on the Steelers forum. In fact, there were quite a few.

And even I had concerns regarding his injuries, which is ultimately what held him back from ever doing much.

You had a man crush on him before the draft. Very Happy

I did just see an article on how good the defensive players were from the 2011 draft. It is pretty amazing.

I'm not denying I really liked him, but so did several others on here.

I beleive treat was one, and I know there were several others.

Aside from the players that I knew would out of our reach (Green, Watt, etc...), the players I really wanted in the first round were Heyward, Dowling, Prince Amakamura and Mike Pouncey.

And while I was "wrong" about Dowling, I recall ALOT of Steeler fans on here wanting Gabe Carimi and Danny Watkins, two players I absolutely hated.

Point is...we are all wrong about certain players....even the smartest fans.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
95lloyd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, I'd take Dowling now even with his injury history.

Victorian might very well make our 53. It's not like Curtis Brown has set the world on fire.

I doubt Dowling makes it through waivers anyway. I read somewhere we're 17th on the waiver list I'm betting someone above us claims him anyway.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Ras-I Dowling and thought his injuries concerns were behind him. He possesses everything the Steelers look for in a CB. Honestly I'd still take a flyer on him after everybody secures there 53 man roster. Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Cornerback -we've needed this for a while....and we still do.

2. OL- kind of shaky ...depth maybe lacking

3. TE/WR- like you all have mentions..a TE or big WR as a red zone threat..and across the middle deep threat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
SouthwestSteel wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
Cornerback is the #2 need imo. I say this because I'm not sold on the depth we have. I really like Terry Hawthorne but I'm not just looking at this season, I'm looking at the future and the fact that Ike Taylor is a dinosaur who won't be around much longer.

Our #1 Need, Tight End, no doubt about it. Heath is on the sidelines, Spaeth is down for almost 3/4 of the season, we got Paulson and McCoy...yay us.

I'm confident about our WR's and even our backup QB situation. I'm having a bit of faith in our Oline, but I do view G as a need still (my faith in Ramon Foster is only so-so).

We need a true left tackle, a quality guard, and a long-term replacement for Heath Miller.

Welcome back SwS, where've you been hiding?

Thanks!! Too long of a story to write about right now, but a major transition period in my life, and I will also be largely on the road the next 9 months, may post an occasional update on the "This is not Steelers talk" page. Will be in the wilderness a great deal pushing my limits while also trading the Futures Market, and will also be collecting medicinal plants, elk antlers, and doing some gold placer mining. Will not be able to see most games, so will have to depend on you guys to keep me informed about the team!
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what others have been saying.

Biggest problems I see are:

1. LT- I don't think the team has a true top LT on the roster. They have 3 RTs

2. Guard depth. Beachum can play 4 positions but I'm worried about the depth beyond him on the OL

3. Corner depth. As others have said, beyond Ike and Allen it looks bleak

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: