Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

John Keim's breakdown of Buffalo film
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrc99 wrote:
Woz wrote: "While you can get a Barnett any time, you want to have them on the roster when you need them. Carrying 6 OLBs would really force us to go thin at another position or two."

I don't know what the team has in Nick Barnett or Vic So'oto, but do I agree with BigJohnson's point that it makes sense that they would want to be heavy at OLB. I was only saying that perhaps they'd carry So'oto through Jackson's suspension. But this is interesting, this is from Stephen Czarda, who blogs for the team:
Quote:
"Buccaneers 10th Drive Continued:
3rd and 10 <20: Orlovsky airs it out deep ..incomplete…but Minnifield called for a penalty.
1st and 10 <49:  Robinson stopped by Vic So’oto who is play[ing] for a roster spot."
http://blog.redskins.com/2013/08/29/fourth-quarter-conclusions-was-tb/

That's BS isn't it? So'oto's not in play for a roster spot, is he? Seems unlikely but Czarda mentions a bunch of other bubble players with little to no hope, but he doesn't suggest they have a chance to make the team.

Barring something Czarda has seen in practice, yeah, I think that's just filler on the live blog. So'oto is a real long shot to make the roster.
markrc99

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote: "What? Robinson would see a lot of time on the field. He's our best coverage LB and, at the end of last year, was always out there on 3rd downs."

My contention is something that was established previously, in the Nick Barnett thread. I'll summarize here but before I do I'll ask you what I asked the others, what evidence can you provide proving that Robinson was part of a rotation or their nickel package? Or anything suggesting he was going to be as such this year? In lopsided affairs vs Philly & Dallas he did see limited action, a grand total of 38 snaps before getting hurt. Accordingly, some of the playing time afforded Robinson was due to Fletcher dealing with injuries. It's important to note that the material I cited wasn't about Keenan Robinson, indeed, he wasn't mentioned in any relevant capacity. What was established was London Fletcher's role, along with that of Perry Riley. There were two articles, one written in June before Robinson showed up injured & one written after the team had signed Nick Barnett. I had said above that the initial article was written by Dan Graziano, but that was false, it was SI piece written by Chris Burke.

Accordingly, Fletcher is on the field for every play because the staff considers him their best tackler, despite the fact that he gave up a staggering 70.1 completion rate. Burke also contends that Fletcher's presence in the locker room and his signal calling are considered crucial to the unit's success. I'll add something I didn't say before, which is that in every NFL game when offenses go to their multi-rec'r sets it's those run-oriented LBs that come off the field! There's no precedent that the guy who lines up the defense on 1st down has to remain on the field to set the nickel & apparently dime packages. NONE! But again, on this team that function is deemed irreplaceable. Of course, what we all witnessed was the complete opposite, as the results were largely disastrous. Key here is that Burke never mentions Robinson as a viable alternative, in fact, he states that given the team did nothing to upgrade the position's depth, Fletcher & Riley will be asked to play every snap again this year. See, so even before Robinson got hurt he was in no way part of their mix.

Now, a number of us agree that whatever happened to Robinson, it occurred before he even arrived to training camp & there was additional insight added on the matter that you find to be of interest. However, after he was declared done & Barnett was signed Rich Tandler wrote a piece making it very clear that he was signed in a reserve capacity only. The opportunity to compete, whether he may be better in coverage, the skill set of who he replaced, none of that is of concern. Fletcher & Riley are not only the "unquestioned" starters, they are every down players! Again, the wording corroborated the premise of Burke's article & in fact what we witnessed on the field. At no point does Tandler say, now that Robinson is out, these two are every down players. No, I'm sorry & that is not a coincidence. Throughout the literature you can certainly find that Robinson was drafted with the intention of replacing Fletcher, but that isn't until Fletcher retires! Robinson is the reserve that Barnett apparently replaced. Bryan Kehl is no different. Neither player will see the field unless the game is out of hand or due to injury. Contrary to popular belief I do think Fletcher could be a net asset, but when everything is taken into consideration, certainly if we look at only last year, he was a net negative. Now, no one is going really hit this guy & I'm expecting every week to alternate from a birthday party to christmas. It could be the most fortuitous season any player has ever had.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
markrc99 wrote:
Woz wrote: "While you can get a Barnett any time, you want to have them on the roster when you need them. Carrying 6 OLBs would really force us to go thin at another position or two."

I don't know what the team has in Nick Barnett or Vic So'oto, but do I agree with BigJohnson's point that it makes sense that they would want to be heavy at OLB. I was only saying that perhaps they'd carry So'oto through Jackson's suspension. But this is interesting, this is from Stephen Czarda, who blogs for the team:
Quote:
"Buccaneers 10th Drive Continued:
3rd and 10 <20: Orlovsky airs it out deep ..incomplete…but Minnifield called for a penalty.
1st and 10 <49:  Robinson stopped by Vic So’oto who is play[ing] for a roster spot."
http://blog.redskins.com/2013/08/29/fourth-quarter-conclusions-was-tb/

That's BS isn't it? So'oto's not in play for a roster spot, is he? Seems unlikely but Czarda mentions a bunch of other bubble players with little to no hope, but he doesn't suggest they have a chance to make the team.

Barring something Czarda has seen in practice, yeah, I think that's just filler on the live blog. So'oto is a real long shot to make the roster.
Isnt everyone except our best players fighting for a roster spot?

I see no problem with Czarda's comment. Seems like something reporters say or write about all the time about every player who isn't one of the top 40 players on an NFLs roster

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the hole is dug deeper. Sources are false, wrong sources, assumptions... Where does it end Confused

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: