Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quinton Patton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
757-NINER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
I don't see any comparsion to any of the guys mentioned in this thread so far. I really like Patton but he's more of a #2, possession type of WRs. Watching him in college and studying his some of his game before the draft, he's more of a poor man's Hines Ward or maybe a Joe Horn. Won't be much of a deep threat but gets open in close quarters(can beat press man) and catch a ton of balls in traffic. He'll work the short-intermediate quite well for us Im hoping.

What would you call Victor Cruz? He isnt really a #1. He is more of a possession receiver than a deep threat. Thats where I drew my comparison

Huh? Cruz is defintely a deep threat. Is he a burner? No. But he has another gear. That Jerry Rice gear I call it. He can beat press man, on a go route with no problem. You don't need Torrey Smith/Mike Wallace speed to be considered a deep threat. AJ Jenkins has all the speed in the world, yet can get open deep to save his life. Cruz beats defenses over the top quite often if he isn't bracketed. He can seperate from ppl. He's football fast, not 40 yard dash fast. I didn't see that when studying Patton. Patton creates space, short-intermediate because he has a shiftiness to him. But he doesnt create that same seperation on go routes or posts. Cruz does. And the only reason ppl say Cruz isn't a #1 WR is because he lacks ideal size. He's more than just a slot guy. Welker is just a slot guy. Cruz plays a lot bigger than he's size. Nicks was pretty much hurt all year last season and he still put up great numbers, with no one else really for defense to key on other than him in the passing game. He's a great talent. I don't think Patton has that same kind of elusiveness.

One thing Patton does have is great eye-to-hand coordination. He made some tough catches his last year in college, with guys just draped all over him. He'll go get the ball and that's one of the things I really liked about him. And he's a savvy route runnner. That really stood out as well. He knows how to set up a CB and create space. I think a couple of years in a NFL strength and training program will really help him. Come to think it, if he could develop into Jimmy Smith, that would be great. Smith was very underrated in his Jags days. Another guy who could just create space and make insane grabs, but wasn't really fast or quick.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, I didn't mean I think he is or even will be as good as Bruce. I meant his body type reminds me of Bruce.. And he's got a nice smoothness and fluidity when he runs patterns. He's also got a nice way of getting off the line and getting open. I can only hope those skills will develop into something like Bruce.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In last weeks game Patton looked good. I hope he can compliment Boldin/Crabtree well.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
757-NINER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TSY1bHhuViY

Around the 21:00 mark, you'll see Patton and McDonald in drills. You start to see some of that short-area quickness I talked about with Patton.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patton>Rice

GOAT! Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He reminds me of reggie wayne.
Baseball: Giants
Rugby: London Irish/ All Blacks
Basketball: Warriors
NHL: Sharks

Michael Crabtree said: "...as for playing for the Raiders, no comment.”
757-NINER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMaxwell4 wrote:
He reminds me of reggie wayne.

I think he has a little more wiggle than Wayne but that's a fair comparsion.
Mr.49er52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the funny thing is his speed is a little deceptive.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.49er52 wrote:

I didn't dare to say it, but he reminds me a little of Jerry Rice. So, deceptive speed fits the bill.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Mr.49er52 wrote:

I didn't dare to say it, but he reminds me a little of Jerry Rice. So, deceptive speed fits the bill.

dude... DUDE! you are scaring me. Back in the draft evaluation months, I was watching Patton on some highlights and I kid you not... I inadvertently muttered JR's name on one particular corner route TD from Q.

Could he... could he be... is it even possible??? Shocked Think

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
Mr.49er52 wrote:

dude... DUDE! you are scaring me. Back in the draft evaluation months, I was watching Patton on some highlights and I kid you not... I inadvertently muttered JR's name on one particular corner route TD from Q.

Could he... could he be... is it even possible??? Shocked Think

At the combine, I was ready to dismiss Patton entirely, because he screamed like Maria Sharapova after dropping a pass. Not just screamed... he really screamed like a woman. A woman tennis player. For dropping a ball. Not very manly at all. So let me tell you this... Patton has impressed me a lot, these last couple of weeks.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: