Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Danny Smith will decidewhich LB will stay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Danny Smith will decidewhich LB will stay Reply with quote

Quote:
"After his deep crop of linebackers played so well in the first preseason game, Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler was asked how he would eventually thin the herd.

He deferred to the special-teams coach.

"It's going to come down to who Danny Smith likes," said Butler.

That was no joke. Mike Tomlin re-enforced the comment Tuesday at his weekly press conference.

"Itís less about what they do on defense," Tomlin said of the backup linebackers, "and more about what they do on special teams."

Stevenson Sylvester was cut earlier this week to open up a second spot for inside linebackers behind Larry Foote and Lawrence Timmons. So if special-teams play is the measuring stick, Marshall McFadden and Kion Wilson are the frontrunners. They are the only two of the talented group of five backup ILBs to have made tackles on special teams.

McFadden, who was activated off the Steelers' practice squad last last season, is the leader with three special-teams tackles. And since he's been calling signals as the buck linebacker for the second team, McFadden should be considered a roster lock.

The favorite for the other spot -- with all due respect to Vince Williams, Brian Rolle and Terence Garvin -- is most likely Wilson, who's not only the buck on the third team, but was the only player on every one of the Steelers' first-team special-teams units last Saturday night.

Wilson, of course, wasn't about to claim anything as his.

"I donít want to jump the gun on anything," he said, "but coaches have expressed theyíre pleased with my special-teams play. I try to take it and roll with it and get better every day."

http://pit.scout.com/2/1320577.html

I like McFadden. Wilson would be a surprise to me but it would be about ST.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the special teams concerns. I think Carter makes the roster because of it, sadly.

If the team lets Williams go, he's going to get picked up by someone. He has shown promise. Larry Foote is a guy the team should be trying to upgrade. I'm still not sold on McFadden as the future at ILB, but maybe they are. It would be nice not to have to spend a high pick on the position a year or two from now.

Wilson has some coverage ability, but he's a bit weak in the run game. Is he really that much better on special teams that its worth giving up on a guy who performs better in his primary job?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: