Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Windy City News: Chicago Bear updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcblack34

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
the Game of Thrones bloodletting in Chicago continues:

With Tony Fiammetta now in the fold, the Bears will cut tight end Evan Rodriguez, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.

Rodriguez has been arrested twice this offseason, most recently for DUI. While that may not be enough to get a more critical member of the franchise cut, Rodriguez falls in the band of replaceable players about whom an example can be made.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/10/bears-will-drop-evan-rdoriguez/

Well, if this was really GoT (or ASoIaF), the heads would be a lot more frequent and important......no spoilers for others please!

There was a great Tweet after the "Red Wedding" episode:

"Next week on Game of Thrones, Joffrey kills a sack of kittens with a hammer, and then eats a tasty yummy cake."
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the Bears boom or bust under Trestman?

The hiring of Trestman was considered around the league to be an outside-of-the-box choice by Emery. Trestman isn’t a young up-and-coming assistant or a prodigy out of the college ranks. He’s a 57-year-old who spent the past five seasons in the CFL, where he coached the Montreal Alouettes. In fact, his last NFL stint came in 2004 when he served as an assistant to Dave Wannstedt in Miami.

That doesn’t mean he can’t, or won’t, get the job done in Chicago. He’s detail oriented, driven and well-respected in football circles. He’s often cited for his creativity on offense and ability to tutor quarterbacks. Trestman was the Raiders’ offensive coordinator when Rich Gannon was named MVP in 2002.

But can he straighten out the Bears’ offense? Will he connect with Cutler? If he does, Emery will be hailed as a genius. If he doesn’t, well, Emery might end up like Lovie Smith. Fired.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/enemy-intel-bears

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
milanb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Will the Bears boom or bust under Trestman?

The hiring of Trestman was considered around the league to be an outside-of-the-box choice by Emery. Trestman isn’t a young up-and-coming assistant or a prodigy out of the college ranks. He’s a 57-year-old who spent the past five seasons in the CFL, where he coached the Montreal Alouettes. In fact, his last NFL stint came in 2004 when he served as an assistant to Dave Wannstedt in Miami.

That doesn’t mean he can’t, or won’t, get the job done in Chicago. He’s detail oriented, driven and well-respected in football circles. He’s often cited for his creativity on offense and ability to tutor quarterbacks. Trestman was the Raiders’ offensive coordinator when Rich Gannon was named MVP in 2002.

But can he straighten out the Bears’ offense? Will he connect with Cutler? If he does, Emery will be hailed as a genius. If he doesn’t, well, Emery might end up like Lovie Smith. Fired.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/enemy-intel-bears

If memory serves me there was another coach who came out of the CFL ranks and didn't do too badly. Fellow by the name of Grant.

Marvin Levy did OK too if I'm not mistaken.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Krauser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand Hugh Campbell had no luck moving to Houston with Warren Moon and Mike Riley was a disaster in San Diego.

Don't follow CFL closely but Trestman's Alouettes were perennial contenders even before he came along, I think only one losing season since the franchise was revived in the 90s. Trestman seems like a good coach but some of that success is probably due to their QB, Anthony Calvillo, who's played 15 years and has been the best in the league for most of that time.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Ditka, on advising Brian Urlacher: “My advice would be to put it behind you. Brian has been such a great player for the Bears and an ambassador for the team. Not many guys get to play 13 years for the same team. Usually, when you change GMs and a new regime comes in, they’re going to make tough decisions. Mr. Emery decided that Brian wouldn’t be part of the plan. There’s nothing you can do about it. You know, the game of football was very good to Brian, but it owes him nothing now. You just have to move on.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Mike Ditka, on advising Brian Urlacher: “My advice would be to put it behind you. Brian has been such a great player for the Bears and an ambassador for the team. Not many guys get to play 13 years for the same team. Usually, when you change GMs and a new regime comes in, they’re going to make tough decisions. Mr. Emery decided that Brian wouldn’t be part of the plan. There’s nothing you can do about it. You know, the game of football was very good to Brian, but it owes him nothing now. You just have to move on.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Urlacher sounds kind of bitter, to be honest. Basically, it seems like he is saying that since he didnt win a ring, he hopes his former teammates don't either.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he was joking around. it was a joke in poor taste that he shouldn't have made, but i don't think he was deadly serious in intent.

Webmaster wrote:
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On Wednesday, Bears General Manager Phil Emery said that he didn’t anticipate reaching agreement on a contract extension with any of the players entering the 2013 season with an expiring deal.

Emery also said that he hadn’t picked up on any bad vibes from those players, but Emery may not have spoken to kicker Robbie Gould, one of the impending free agents, before making that assessment.

Gould believes that pushing off contract talks would lead to divided motivations as players “have to take care of No. 1.” The kicker also said that he thought the Bears’ approach would wind up costing them more money in the long run — “If they don’t want to re-sign me now it’s going to cost them double at the end of the year — and that it would lead to major changes before the 2014 season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/25/robbie-gould-if-bears-were-smart-theyd-extend-core-players/

I tend to think along the lines as Gould. The smart teams tend to lock up their players before they become too expensive. Emery is certainly gambling on things to fall right. I think he could lose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMgRGihVb-4

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovie Smith was a popular coach in the Bears’ locker room, and when he was fired at the end of last season, many players were disappointed. So as the Bears open their first training camp under new coach Marc Trestman, how are the players responding?

Jay Cutler: “Guys are buying in. Not everybody’s bought in, but that’s OK. We still have a lot of time. Hopefully by the time the first game rolls around, we’ve got everyone on the same page.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/27/jay-cutler-not-everyones-bought-in-to-trestman-but-theres-still-time/

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that he was going to play much anyway, but Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton’s night came to an early end. The Bears franchise player left with a concussion, and the team announced he won’t return to the game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/09/henry-melton-leaves-with-concussion/

Webmaster wrote:
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theonion.com/articles/jay-cutler-hoping-to-prove-doubters-whatever-in-co,33484/

Quote:
BOURBONNAIS, IL—Shrugging his shoulders and scowling, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler told reporters Tuesday that he’s looking forward to proving doubters “completely whatever” in the final year of his contract.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Saturday, the Bears officially added quarterback Jordan Palmer. On Sunday, they went back to the unemployed passer well, adding Trent Edwards.

Edwards appeared in 38 games with 33 starts during stints with the Bills, Jaquars, Raiders, and Eagles. He has a career passer rating of 75.5.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/18/bears-add-trent-edwards/

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A day after expressing his frustration with his recovery from offseason arthroscopic hip surgery, Chicago Bears receiver Brandon Marshall missed practice Wednesday with what the team described as a previously planned excused absence. Bears coach Marc Trestman said Marshall won't be at the preseason finale against the Cleveland Browns on Thursday and will return to the team on Sunday and practice on Monday.

Trestman: "I'd rather just leave it to personal reasons out of respect to Brandon, but it's all good. As I've said when I let guys go for personal reasons, it's all good, and this is all good. It's not reflected in anything other than I gave him time off. He had a very good practice on Tuesday, he ran well, he ran his routes, he took his reps, he finished. I can't speak for his comments, but what I saw on the field was a guy getting ready to play."

On Tuesday, Marshall indicated the Bears might be pushing a little harder than he'd like as Chicago attempts to prep its star wideout for the Sept. 8 regular-season opener against Cincinnati.

Marshall: "It's one of those things where you may be rushed a little bit, and some people might think I need to be farther on than where I am. So it's a little frustrating not being where I want to be right now, and maybe pushed a little bit. So we'll see."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/9609027/brandon-marshall-chicago-bears-misses-practice-day-expressing-frustration-hip?fb_comment_id=fbc_143610199181428_128391_143622742513507#fe68e4464

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears got younger when final cuts were completed Saturday.

The entire six-man 2013 draft class and three rookie free agents made the 53-man roster, helping lower the team's average age to 26 years, 296 days. That is 136 days younger than the Week 1 roster from 2012, when the Bears had the seventh-oldest group in the NFL.

Only five picks from the final three drafts of former general manager Jerry Angelo remain on the roster and only 12 total picks from Angelo's regime are still around.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0901-bits-bears-chicago-20130901,0,5527850.story

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With NFL offenses growing faster each season, the Chicago Bears, in recent years, came up with a plan of their own to slow the league's up-tempo attacks: faking injuries. Brian Urlacher went on to describe how a Bears assistant would mimic a swimmer's diving motion from the sideline to initiate the ploy, which often came on long drives when the defense needed a breather.

Urlacher: "We had a guy who was the designated dive guy. It wasn't coached, but it was part of our game plan."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238005/article/brian-urlacher-bears-faked-injuries-to-slow-offenses?campaign=Twitter_atl

you faked...? with ME?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLg1k4I9fqk

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 33 of 38

Jump to: