Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tony Moeaki anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Mongo wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:
Quick question: if Moeaki is going to be marginalized by a rookie and a journeyman TE, why would anyone trade for him at all?

It would be more prudent to wait the Chiefs out and just claim him when he gets cut, or buy low on him at the end of camp with a conditional 7th if he meets certain game or performance measurables.

But quite frankly, I don't see any reason to believe that Moeaki would be anything better than what we have in Furstenburg, and he doesnt have a bad knee. Its wishful thinking to believe that the Chiefs could finagle a conditional 4th for him at this point.
His contract is up at the end of the year and the Chiefs have other fish to fry.

And the contract up at the end of the year is precisely why his value is lower than a 4th. You may have been able to get a 4th if he still had 2-3 years left. The fact that he only has one before he's due an extension is what lowers his value.

Normally I'd agree with you, but I don't see it that way. This is a unique situation. Pretend you need a TE. The best FA option out there was Schiancoe. A trade is your best option for getting someone productive. A one year rental is not that bad an alternative.

Besides, his contract status gives the Ravens options at the end of the year. Suppose he out-performs Dickson. You'd likely have first crack at extending him. If he busts you let him walk no questions asked.

To me, its a no lose situation for BAL. Remember Moeaki must perform at an agreed upon level to warrant the R4.

And if he doesn't, it's still a R5.

That's the point I'm making. Perennial contenders don't do 1 year rentals for draft picks.

It's a great idea if he comes for a 7th, sure. But not for a 4th OR 5th. Those rounds are too valuable for a good drafting team like we have been. Hell, we just used one on a TE/H-back this year who will get every opportunity to produce. Why would we spend yet another one on the same position for a rental?

It just doesn't make sense to do so. Moeaki isn't worth more than a 5th to any team, let alone a team who A) drafts as well as we do, and B) has depth at the position already anyway with Dickson, Juice, and some other younger, unproven players like Furstenberg.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone be open to this kind of a trade (maybe a 4th or 5th rounder) if Dickson goes down and continues to have hamstring problems?

I know I would. I don't trust Shiancoe as anything more than a #2 or #3 TE.

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Would anyone be open to this kind of a trade (maybe a 4th or 5th rounder) if Dickson goes down and continues to have hamstring problems?

Still not interested.

Let's look at the past here. What happened with that whole Lee Evans debacle. We traded what? A 4th round pick for Lee Evans on a one year rental... and this is a guy whose had multiple 1000 yard seasons... the guy comes and continued to be injury prone, lost him for the whole season and then we were essentially down a 4th round pick + had to live with a guy who didn't live up to expectations in the slightest.

So fool me once is applicable here. Now if Dickson's hammy becomes a serious issue that we need to concern ourselves with, like Flaccomania said above, the most I'd be willing to pay for Moeaki is a 5th round pick. So if it's an issue, I'd be willing to do a conditional 5th agreement that states something along the lines of playing in 12 games or something.

But even then, Moeaki is a guy that would be coming late to camp, have to learn a new offensive system, and have to build chemistry with his QB on the fly. That's not the type of guy I'd want to be gambling on performing to high expectations considering the experience (with us) and durability questions he would bring to the table.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Still no. Long-term focus, not short-term focus. This would be a short-sighted move. Not interested in Moeaki for anything more than a 7th round pick.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look, the oft-injured Moeaki is... *gasp*... injured. Fractured shoulder.

This, folks, is why you never, ever, ever make rentals, especially for guys you're purely hoping stay healthy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: