Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Predict the Final 53
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillysWonka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't think Starks makes the team.
Harris played pretty good last year, Lacy looks good, Franklin has upside as a 3rd down back
The only guy I can see getting the axe is Green because he and Franklin have a similar skill set, but Green is more talented than Starks
justo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillysWonka wrote:
Green is more talented than Starks
I'm not so sure about that one.

#FREEBARRINGTON
Blank402

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are the odds we keep a kicker on the practice squad? It seems like it would be a waste of a developmental spot, but if the coaching staff doesn't have 100% confidence in Crosby heading into the season they might want a backup plan on hand.
Gopackgonerd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blank402 wrote:
Updated: 8/24

QB: Rodgers, Young (2(2))
--At this point, the only thing Harrell has over Young is knowledge of the playbook. I'm sure the coaching staff puts a lot of stock in that, but knowledge in the playbook doesn't mean much when you can't produce on the field. If Rodgers doesn't play against the Cheifs, I hope Young gets some snaps with the 1s.
RB: Lacy, Harris, Green, Franklin (4(6))
--No rushes for Starks against the Seahawks, I think it's safe to say he's gone. Green looks good in space.
FB: No one (0(6))
--It just doesn't seem like Kuhn has much of a place in this offense anymore. We've been running a lot from the shotgun and in single back sets, Lacy has shown up as a pass blocker, and Kuhn was never a very good short yardage back to begin with. He's a fan favorite, but I think his contract doesn't match up to his production on the field.
WR: Cobb, Nelson, Jones, Boykin, Ross (5(11))
--At this point, I don't think Walker or White or any of the other WRs at the bottom of the depth chart has shown enough to keep them around. Maybe they'll stick around if Cobb or Nelson (or both) aren't ready week 1, but I'm taking the optimistic route.
TE: Finley, Quarless, Mulligan, Williams, Taylor(5(16))
--McCarthy loves his TEs, and with no true FB on the roster we'll need them to play the H-back role. I'm kind of cheating here because this is one of the hardest positions to pick so I'm just keeping all of them. Mulligan's arm injury could cost him his spot.
OL: Bakhtiari, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Barclay, Newhouse, Datko, Van Roten (8(24))

DL: Raji, Pickett, Wilson, Jones, Jolly, Daniels, Neal (7(31))
--Neal is a tweener at DL and OLB, Boyd hasn't shown much, being a fifth round pick makes him a tough cut, but with as deep as we are on the DL there's no room to keep him or Miller.
ILB: Hawk, Jones, Francois, Manning, Barrington (5(36))
--Barrington is a hard hitter and could show up on special teams. Lattimore has had a quiet offseason so he loses out.
OLB: Matthews, Perry, Mulamba, Palmer (4(40))
--Even with Neal being a tweener, it's still worth it to keep four OLBs. If one of Matthews or Perry goes down you don't Neal being a full time player at OLB.
CB: Williams, Shields, Heyward, Hyde, House, Bush (6(46))
--Nothing changes here.
S: Burnett, McMillian, Jennings, Banjo (4(50))
--Banjo's played well with limited time in the system, earning him a spot on the 53.

K: Crosby
P: Masthay
LS: Goode
(3(53))

PUP: Worthy, Sherrod
IR: Bulaga

Practice Squad: Coleman (QB), Pease (RB), Johnson (WR), Dorsey (WR), Savage (OLB), Boyd (DL), Means (CB),

EXACTLY what I want. Except Pease has been released, Savage might be cut this week, and Means is hated in Packer land.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locks
Offense - Rodgers, Lacy, Franklin, Cobb, Nelson, Jones, Finley, Bakhtiari, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Barclay, Newhouse [13]

Defense - Raji, Jones, Pickett, Matthews, Perry, Hawk, Jones, Shields, Hayward, Burnett, McMillian, Hyde [12]

ST - Goode, Masthay [2]

So that's 27 spots that are locked up, without a doubt, in my mind.

Almost certainly
Offense - Young, Harris, Boykin, Kuhn [4]

Defense - Jolly, Daniels, Neal, Francois, Williams, House, Jennings [7]

ST - Crosby [1]

So I count 12 guys that I'm not 100% on, but more like 80-99% on.

Bubble Leaders
Offense - Green, Ross, Quarless, Mulligan, Datko [5]

Defense - Wilson, Boyd, Mulumba, Manning, Lattimore, Bush [6]

I see 11 guys who are probably on the right side of the cut-off edge currently. This puts the total @ 50, the other 3 spots I could see going to guys in the following group:

DJ Williams, Ryan Taylor, Van Roten, Taylor, Lewis, Barrington, Palmer, Moses, Banjo
WillysWonka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
WillysWonka wrote:

I just feel like we've seen how good Starks is, I don't think we have with Green, but potential is a dangerous thing
Blank402

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gopackgonerd wrote:
Blank402 wrote:
Updated: 8/24

QB: Rodgers, Young (2(2))
--At this point, the only thing Harrell has over Young is knowledge of the playbook. I'm sure the coaching staff puts a lot of stock in that, but knowledge in the playbook doesn't mean much when you can't produce on the field. If Rodgers doesn't play against the Cheifs, I hope Young gets some snaps with the 1s.
RB: Lacy, Harris, Green, Franklin (4(6))
--No rushes for Starks against the Seahawks, I think it's safe to say he's gone. Green looks good in space.
FB: No one (0(6))
--It just doesn't seem like Kuhn has much of a place in this offense anymore. We've been running a lot from the shotgun and in single back sets, Lacy has shown up as a pass blocker, and Kuhn was never a very good short yardage back to begin with. He's a fan favorite, but I think his contract doesn't match up to his production on the field.
WR: Cobb, Nelson, Jones, Boykin, Ross (5(11))
--At this point, I don't think Walker or White or any of the other WRs at the bottom of the depth chart has shown enough to keep them around. Maybe they'll stick around if Cobb or Nelson (or both) aren't ready week 1, but I'm taking the optimistic route.
TE: Finley, Quarless, Mulligan, Williams, Taylor(5(16))
--McCarthy loves his TEs, and with no true FB on the roster we'll need them to play the H-back role. I'm kind of cheating here because this is one of the hardest positions to pick so I'm just keeping all of them. Mulligan's arm injury could cost him his spot.
OL: Bakhtiari, Sitton, EDS, Lang, Barclay, Newhouse, Datko, Van Roten (8(24))

DL: Raji, Pickett, Wilson, Jones, Jolly, Daniels, Neal (7(31))
--Neal is a tweener at DL and OLB, Boyd hasn't shown much, being a fifth round pick makes him a tough cut, but with as deep as we are on the DL there's no room to keep him or Miller.
ILB: Hawk, Jones, Francois, Manning, Barrington (5(36))
--Barrington is a hard hitter and could show up on special teams. Lattimore has had a quiet offseason so he loses out.
OLB: Matthews, Perry, Mulamba, Palmer (4(40))
--Even with Neal being a tweener, it's still worth it to keep four OLBs. If one of Matthews or Perry goes down you don't Neal being a full time player at OLB.
CB: Williams, Shields, Heyward, Hyde, House, Bush (6(46))
--Nothing changes here.
S: Burnett, McMillian, Jennings, Banjo (4(50))
--Banjo's played well with limited time in the system, earning him a spot on the 53.

(3(53))

PUP: Worthy, Sherrod
IR: Bulaga

Practice Squad: Coleman (QB), Pease (RB), Johnson (WR), Dorsey (WR), Savage (OLB), Boyd (DL), Means (CB),

EXACTLY what I want. Except Pease has been released, Savage might be cut this week, and Means is hated in Packer land.

they could still end up on the practice squad if no one else picks them up
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take

Offense:

QB: Rodgers, Young 2/2
RB: Harris, Lacy, Franklin, Kuhn 4/6
WR: Jordy, Cobb, Jones, Boykin, Ross 5/11
TE: Finley, Quarless, Mulligan, Taylor 4/15
OT: Bacteria, Barclay, Newhouse, Datko 4/19
OG/C: Sitton, Lang, EDS, Van Roten, Lewis 5/24

Defense:

DL: Pickett, Raji, Datone, Neal, Daniels, Jolly, Boyd 7/7
OLB: Clay, Perry, Mulamba, Palmer 4/11
ILB: Hawk, Jones, Terrell, Francois, Lattimore 5/16
CB: Tramon, Shields, Hayward, Hyde, Bush, House 6/22
S: Burnett, McMillian, Jennings, Banjo 4/26

ST:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is on page two but...Yeah. No one goes to page two. Laughing

Heading into the final preseason game:

QB- Aaron Rodgers, Vince Young (2)
RB/FB- Eddie Lacy, Jonathan Franklin, Alex Green, James Starks John Kuhn (5)
WR- Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin, Jeremy Ross (5)
TE- Jermichael Finley, Ryan Mulligan, DJ Williams, Brandon Bostick (4)
OT- David Bakhitari, Don Barclay, Marshall Newhouse (3)
OG- Josh Sitton, TJ Lang, Lane Taylor (3)
OC- Evan Deitrich-Smith, Greg Van Roten (2)

(24)

Defense
DL- BJ Raji, Ryan Pickett, Dantone Jones, CJ Wilson, Mike Daniels, Johnny Jolly, Josh Boyd (7)
OLB- Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Mike Neal, Dezman Moses, Nate Palmer (5)
ILB- Brad Jones, AJ Hawk, Robert Francois, Terrell Manning, Sam Barrington (5)
CB- Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Casey Hayward, Micah Hyde, Davon House, Jarrett Bush (6)
S- Morgan Burnett, Jerron McMillian, MD Jennings (3)
(26)

Special Teams- Mason Crosby, Tim Masthay, Brett Goode
(3)

PUP- Jerel Worthy, JC Tretter, Sean Richardson, Derek Sherrod

Last few cuts- Coleman, Walker, Johnson, Quarless, Taylor, Lewis, Datko, Mulumba, Lattimore, Means, Banjo

Practice Squad-BJ Coleman, Tyrone Walker, Charles Johnson, Patrick Lewis, Andrew Datko, Andy Mulumba, Loyce Means, Chris Banjo.

The spots I'm having a tough time with are:
Keeping Starks
It would be nice to have six WRs
I really don't want to cut Quarless. If we trade Williams, great...but I want to keep Bostick.
Offensive line depth is so bad we only keep 8.
I have us basically keeping 8 DL when we run a 3-4...
Barrington on the roster?
6 CB's while only 3 safetys?

Sig brought to you by Justo
incognito_man wrote:
i forewent football this thursday in lieu of Grey's Anatomy and a bottle of wine
driftwood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:

The spots I'm having a tough time with are:
Keeping Starks (with harris out its not a stretch anymore)
It would be nice to have six WRs (the packers can get away with 5 as long as guys like finley are still on the team... of if they choose to keep 5 TE's instead)
I really don't want to cut Quarless. If we trade Williams, great...but I want to keep Bostick.
Offensive line depth is so bad we only keep 8. (wouldnt shock me if they only kept 7 OL... but i would be willing to bet they go out & pick up a fresh cut player this weekend)
I have us basically keeping 8 DL when we run a 3-4 (its all the sudden a position of strength... its hard to cut guys who you know can contribute, especially at a spot where the packers have been so bad lately)
Barrington on the roster?
6 CB's while only 3 safetys? (a guy like Bush can be an emergency safety)
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
WillysWonka wrote:

One could make a strong case for Green being a better "football player" and worth the spot over Starks. In terms of talent though, I would give Starks a fairly healthy lean on Green.

LIS, I can see both sides of that thing when it comes to RB cuts now that Harris is done. If Harris was good I would lean Green over Starks all day long. 50/50 with that thing right now though. This is a good team and I would not want to put the season at risk. If you cut Starks and Lacy goes down I hope one understands Rodgers will be seeing a great deal of that deep cover-2 split AGAIN.

That's going to be a tough one for TT. Keeping both is far less than ideal also.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the odds anyone else would pick up Starks if he's cut though? I can't see him being a hot commodity.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
what are the odds anyone else would pick up Starks if he's cut though? I can't see him being a hot commodity.

Hard to say, but his set is not scheme specific. Going to be a tough call with that one. Would not shock me one bit if Franklin's game tonight forced TT into keeping Starks though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a mistake cutting Green or Starks. I'd take all the backs I can get. Seriously I think all of our running backs are good football players. Just need to develop more. I think Green is probably the back that is making the most improvement. Starks is up and down, but he is a good backup.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of going with who I want, I'm actually going to attempt to base on snaps etc.

Rodgers Young 2
Lacy Green Starks Franklin 4:6
Kuhn 1:7
Finley Mulligan Quarless Williams Bostick 5:12
Nelson Cobb Jones Boykin Ross 5:17
Bakhtiari Sitton EDS Lang, Barclay Newhouse GVR 7:24
Pickett Raji Jones Daniels Wilson Neal Miller 7:31
Matthews Perry Mulumba 3:34
Hawk Jones Francois Lattimore Manning 6:40
Williams Shields Hayward Hyde House Bush 6:46
Burnett Jennings McMillian Banjo 4:50
Goode Masthay Crosby 3:53

Sherrod Richardson Worthy Tretter
Cunningham Bulaga Dorsey Reed Harris

Coleman Walker Johnson L.Taylor Palmer Barrington Nixon [kicked tire]

Last edited by HyponGrey on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:02 am; edited 3 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: