Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason-Miami vs Houston
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cddolphin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our backup LBs and OL are really, really bad.

Our backup DL are pretty good.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the Keller injury. Crying or Very sad

Good luck this season Dolphins fans. I actually like the Tannehill to Wallace connection. Wallace completely destroyed Jonathan Joseph. Laughing

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have exact numbers or anything, but it sure seemed like the Dolphins ran a HUGE number of plays to the right side of the line. There were screen and stuff to the left, but not many runs. I wonder why? With Samuda in, I would think they might want to run to the left. Not sure.

Other things I noticed about the game:

1) Martin played well. I think he looks more certain/purposeful with his movements than at any point last season. Perhaps the added strength has also added confidence. Hopeful.
2) Samuda is a ticket taker on pass plays.
3) Grimes should be resigned/extended. He looks great.
4) I can't help but ask if Keller should have been in the game when he got hurt. I know, I know, it can happen at anytime, but DAMN that one hurts. Hope he can recover from this one, it looked terrible.
5) Daniel Thomas looks like he is playing for his life. I think he knows he's been a bust thus far, and has a new found urgency about his play.
6) Miller has upside, no doubt about it. However, he also has to trust that the hole will be there and just go. I saw him looking for a space a couple of times, as opposed to just hitting go.
7)Screen plays are clearly going to be a big part of the offense, and for good reason. There has been some real pressure on Tannehill and my sense is that we will employ the screen against teams that are killing our line with pressure. Smart. I hope we can perfect those. Miller has to be patient and catch the ball before he tries to run. In other words, be patience on screens and be less patience with the rushes.
Cool All in all, defense looked decent when the 1's were out there.
9) We are WAFER thin in depth at many positions. Its part of the game, and we just have to hope we don't get hurt in the wrong places this year. That could be our Waterloo.
Pickle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Wallace Cool showed that separation skill that we so badly need. He absolutely abused Pro Bowl corner Johnathan Joseph. That duo is going to be very good and will have to perform even better now that Keller is out.

Loved what I saw out of Tristan Okpalaugo, Josh Kaddu, Derrick Shelby and AJ Francis.

Sig: Ivana001
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I don't have exact numbers or anything, but it sure seemed like the Dolphins ran a HUGE number of plays to the right side of the line. There were screen and stuff to the left, but not many runs. I wonder why? With Samuda in, I would think they might want to run to the left. Not sure.

1) Martin played well. I think he looks more certain/purposeful with his movements than at any point last season. Perhaps the added strength has also added confidence. Hopeful.
4) I can't help but ask if Keller should have been in the game when he got hurt. I know, I know, it can happen at anytime, but DAMN that one hurts. Hope he can recover from this one, it looked terrible.
5) Daniel Thomas looks like he is playing for his life. I think he knows he's been a bust thus far, and has a new found urgency about his play.
6) Miller has upside, no doubt about it. However, he also has to trust that the hole will be there and just go. I saw him looking for a space a couple of times, as opposed to just hitting go.
7)Screen plays are clearly going to be a big part of the offense, and for good reason. There has been some real pressure on Tannehill and my sense is that we will employ the screen against teams that are killing our line with pressure. Smart. I hope we can perfect those. Miller has to be patient and catch the ball before he tries to run. In other words, be patience on screens and be less patience with the rushes.
9) We are WAFER thin in depth at many positions. Its part of the game, and we just have to hope we don't get hurt in the wrong places this year. That could be our Waterloo.
I noted earlier that I too see a major effort in running and becoming a good screen play team. Lets hope they stick with it for obvious reasons(offensive line) I have been wanting this to be a big part of team for years.
Phinsnation84

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:

I noted earlier that I too see a major effort in running and becoming a good screen play team. Lets hope they stick with it for obvious reasons(offensive line) I have been wanting this to be a big part of team for years.

Watching this Giants Colts game and thinking how awesome quick screens to Wallace would be Shocked

Olivier Vernon
2014 Stats: 1 SACK 3 TCKLs 0 FF
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few other observations:

1) The sack that Martin gave up was not a bad one due to play, but a bad one due to effort. He thought the play was over and just stopped blocking which allowed his man to sack Tannehill. Dumb, but not something that can't be fixed. I won't make a big deal of that in preseason. I'm gonna guess he'll get an earful from coaches.

2) Dion Sims had a holding call and dropped an easy pass. Not good on a night when you get promoted (by injury).

3) New uniforms definitely have grown on me, but I well miss the color orange. It is hardly a part of our uniforms at all.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merc, your observations are almost identical to mine.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to wait until today at 1pm est to see the game on NFL Network :

Observations:

1) Except for Ryan Tannehill on offense and Cameron Wake on defense I'm not seeing any returning players stepping up. For myself this is a killer trying to integrate rookies and free agents into a system.

2) I'm liking our draft picks less as each week goes by. Compared to where we sat the day before the draft to what we have now I have to seriously question the Dolphins player evaluations coming out of college.

3) Lamar Miller has yet to show why he is deserving of being a number one back. Given the performance to date the running back position could be a highly rotational one for 2013.

4) Seems as if its been eons since we had a stable offensive line with capable back ups. I think we could be somewhat stable in 2013, but everyone needs to say a prayer each night for Mike Pounceys health.

5) Kellers injury could not be foretold, but injury possibility had to be in the back of managements mind which again leads us back to the draft and why not Eifert or Ertz

6) I'm still not seeing the difference at Linebacker. Yes its preseason but there just seems too much grabbing air from Wheeler and Ellerbee

7) I'm not worried about the secondary. The starters look solid. What does concern me is that it was the late signing of Grimes that has the unit looking good, if that didn't happen circumstances would be very unsettling.

What I would like to see in the two remaining games is more cohesion and disciplined play among the offensive and defensive units, the level of play is much too segmented in performance. Certainly, the backups need much improvement to avoid the bottom of the roster recycling that is a yearly occurrence with the Dolphins.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 4, Tackles 6 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 4 : Death 17 Joe 14
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who thought Ellerbe and Wheeler looked pretty decent? Better than Misi who is playing average (as expected).
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellerbe speed on the field is evident to me and he has been eating up screen plays.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRs where getting open against an above average secondary.
Tannehill was inaccurate on his throws. The deep pass to Wallace could have been a score if thrown in a better spot. He also overthrew Hartline on a key 3rd down play. He also had Miller drop a pass on 3rd down. That scramble to pick up a 1st down was partly due to Texans poor tackling. So I'm not gonna make him out to be Steve Young just yet. I'm not worried because Every issue I've seen Tannehill have, has improved in the following game.

Houston didn't play JJ Watt or their RB. On paper our DLine looks ferocious but they haven't clicked yet. Defensive 2nd teams (especially linebackers / secondary) need improvement.

I'm not concerned with what side we run to. Run blocking wasn't JM's issue and in the ZBS the side you run to doesn't reduce the responsibility of any lineman. It just changes it.
I'm not gonna jump out the window on Samuda either. He is obviously learning the position. I expect Lance Louis to lock it down with Jerry being the back up. Maybe Samuda's time their will give us a back up at two line positions as he grows. I don't think this staff wants any lineman that only plays one position. I'm still kinda wondering if we could have gotten that lineman from Alabama. Not Warmack. The dude who plays all 5 positions.

Daniel Thomas was drafted by Ireland but his original coaches teach a different running game than the ones he has now. It looks like he's catching on to the one cut and go philosophy. I hope I'm right.

Egnew's problem was never running the routes or making the catches. His issue was blocking and knowing what to do and when to do it. My gut tells me that he needed to toughen up. I think he was getting harassed by Incognito. That may be just me. I think his blocking and comfort level in the offense will improve. He can be what we expected from Keller. To me Simms is just an extra lineman that will occasionally make a key catch.

I think if we can make it to the oppositions 35 or 40 we are scoring one way or another. There have been touchdown passes in all of our games. They haven't ALL been convincing but we are growing. Sturgis will account for a W or 2 (like all good kickders do)

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: