Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2014 Draft Prospects thread...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Official 2014 Draft Prospects thread... Reply with quote

Okay, so with the college football season starting in only a couple weeks time, I figured this was as good a time as any to get this thread up and running for this mock draft season.

I should note that I'm not really a college football junkie of any kind. I simply look at some of the top names on draft boards for positions we might have a need in, look at some tapes/highlight videos and if a guy seems intriguing then I'll try and catch his games... but I can't say I'm a fan of any particular team. That said, here are a few guys that I'll be interested in watching this upcoming season that I think should be on the Ravens radar:

WR
Brandon Coleman: 6'5" 225 lbs, 40 time est- 4.47, est vert- 38", redshirt junior/2015
Wow... Coleman is my first DB guy of the year. His hands aren't always consistent, but the same could be said for a guy like Julio Jones while at Alabama. All I know is Coleman is the perfect fit for this offense. He's big, fast, strong, great deep threat, attacks the ball in the air, and has very quick feet for a guy his size.

For those that remember back a few years, I was really high on Kenny Britt as a receiver- he was my top ranked receiver in that draft class over Percy Harvin and Hakeem Nicks. And while his maturity and durability never allowed him to reach their level, when healthy and motivated no doubt in my mind that Britt was the best talent from that class and a top 5-10 WR talent in this league.

I think Brandon Coleman is the better talent. And he looks to have a much better head on his shoulders. He's a team captain and a labor studies major. He's a guy who plays in a run heavy offense with an inaccurate QB that has still found a way to produce. He has everything you look for in an elite level WR talent, except elite WR production... which, with enough luck, might allow him to slip to the Ravens pick. Oh... and did I mention that Coleman just so happens to be FROM Baltimore? His fit might just be a match made in heaven.

Jared Abbrederis: 6'1" 190 lbs, est 40- 4.44, est vert- 34", redshirt senior/2014
If this current offseason has taught us anything, it's that the Ravens have shown a little more concern over having enough weapons to excel in the middle of the field as opposed to outside ATM. And if Tandon Doss doesn't take the expected leap then we'll most certainly be looking for a slot WR. Jared Abbrederis would definitely answer our slot situation. Very nice hands. Explosive in and out of his cuts, great quickness, and has some underrated power/escapability to his game. He possesses a skillset reminiscent of Wes Welker in that he's both a great punt returner as well as a quick, shifty slot WR (though he has the height and route running skills to play outside as well). Welker is built with better thickness and therefore has more power to him, while Abbrederis trades some of that power for increased vertical ability. JA would be an ideal 2nd/3rd round selection. I've always given extra value to WRs that have been able to produce with poor QB play and that's what Abbrederis was able to do in 2012 after Russell Wilson left.

Jordan Matthews: 6'2.5" 205 lbs, est 40- 4.49, est vert- 36", senior/2014
Another interesting WR prospect. For a tall guy he has nice quick feet to get in and out of his breaks. His hands are a little more inconsistent than I'd like. He puts in nice effort in run blocking. Does a nice job of giving a slight push to defender to create space when the ball is in the air and he's tightly covered. Definitely not a #1 option, but has a similar game to Tandon Doss, but with more speed. Could be an interesting option if he falls to the late 2nd or later. Looks to have the potential of a above average to good #2 WR option.

Cody Hoffman: 6'2.5" 215 lbs, est 40- 4.59, est vert- 34", senior/2014
Hoffman isn't fast by any means. But somehow he continuously gets open on tape. He's not slow, but I'd be surprised to see him run faster than a 4.55 at the combine. Hoffman reminds me some of Keenan Allen with less quickness or a shorter Marquis Colston. He's one of the better hands catchers in this years class, dare I say elite. He makes plays and has nice size and strength to get YAC. I think he's another slot option, but one in the Anquan Boldin mold. I think his value is probably at its best in the 3rd round or later.

OT
James Hurst: 6'7" 310 lbs, senior/2014
Hurst is incredible intelligent, athletic, and a great leader along the OL. He was a very important factor in Jonathan Cooper's success due to his recognition skills and he was a great run blocker, paving the way for Cincy's new RB Giovanni Bernard. Hurst is an ideal LT candidate, definitely a first or second round pick, though where he goes exactly will depend on his season now that Cooper is gone.

ILB
Andrew Jackson: 6'1" 265 lbs, senior/2014
DTMB put this guy on my radar last draft season. Jackson is an excellent thumper ILB prospect. He has enough speed to be dependable against the pass and he's an effective blitzer. He has nice instincts at ILB... and he comes from Ray Lewis' hometown... so why not? With Daryl Smith contract up after the season and with the likelihood that Arthur Brown will take over the starting spot, a pairing of he and Jackson would be a very nice fit. Since Jackson doesn't necessarily possess top quality speed, he probably won't be viewed as a first round prospect. I'd suspect the Ravens to have a shot at Jackson in the late 2nd round. If he falls that far, I'd LOVE to snatch him up.

Who are some of your favorite draft prospects in this years class? Do you think they fall to the Ravens in "x" round? And most importantly? Do they look like "Ravens" (as in guys we normally look to draft, senior, overachievers, hardworkers, etc.)... Discuss.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donít know a whole lot about the draft prospects for 2014, at the moment (other than the obvious names of Bridgewater, Clowney and Manziel, none of whom will be Ravens), but Iím certainly casting covetous eyes at some of the elite LT prospects.

Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews, Cyril Kouandijo and James Hurst. I think, like you, that Hurst is probably the only one there who might make it to wherever the Ravens are drafting, but I wouldnít rule out an Eric Fisher-like climb up the board over the next year.

It still seems like there is some depth beyond that group, though, with other guys who might be more of a project than an immediate starter. The Ravens should be able to find someone who can take over from Bryant McKinnie, and be the franchise LT that really is the only glaring hole in the long term future of this team.

Thatís where Iíd want the Ravens to go in the 1st round. Thatís really something that canít go unaddressed again, relying on a guy in his mid-30s who has such well documented work ethic problems.

As for WRs, the only one I know the first thing about at the moment is Sammy Watkins. He looks similar to Torrey Smith, if just a touch bigger and more refined in his game than Torrey was, coming out. but heíll likely go in the top 20 anyway. Unless he gets arrested again.

Suddenly though, it looks like TE could be a position of need, going into 2014. Dennis Pitta out for the year (probably), and in a contract year. Ed Dickson injured again, with unproven consistency and also in a contract year. Shiancoe and Clark are obviously not long term solutions. Furstenburg could be, depending on how he develops.

So Austin Sefarian-Jenkins is my man to watch. Heís big, strong, faster than any LB, has good hands. Basically another potential Gronkowski (though he might have Gronkís meatheadedness as well), he should be a stud TE in the NFL. I doubt the Ravens would be able to get him, even if they wanted to, though. I expect him to go in the top 15 to 20 range.

Colt Lyerla is graded as the second TE in the draft at the moment, and though Iíve not seen any vids of him, he sounds like another of the new breed of NFL TEs, that more and more teams are beginning to seriously desire.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Coleman is really going to struggle to shine with Gary Nova at QB, but he really is THAT good.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ Raven wrote:
Brandon Coleman is really going to struggle to shine with Gary Nova at QB, but he really is THAT good.

Yeah, I saw that. Nova is actually worse than what Kenny Britt had to work with there. Besides his awesome last name, there doesn't seem to be anything in his QB play that should make one feel confident about him.

Doesn't Rutgers have some sort of 4 star QB recruit going there... you'd think that guy would be better.

But indeed Coleman is definitely the real deal. I'd love to double dip at the WR position with both he and Abbrederis.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
I donít know a whole lot about the draft prospects for 2014, at the moment (other than the obvious names of Bridgewater, Clowney and Manziel, none of whom will be Ravens), but Iím certainly casting covetous eyes at some of the elite LT prospects.

Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews, Cyril Kouandijo and James Hurst. I think, like you, that Hurst is probably the only one there who might make it to wherever the Ravens are drafting, but I wouldnít rule out an Eric Fisher-like climb up the board over the next year.

It still seems like there is some depth beyond that group, though, with other guys who might be more of a project than an immediate starter. The Ravens should be able to find someone who can take over from Bryant McKinnie, and be the franchise LT that really is the only glaring hole in the long term future of this team.

Thatís where Iíd want the Ravens to go in the 1st round. Thatís really something that canít go unaddressed again, relying on a guy in his mid-30s who has such well documented work ethic problems.

As for WRs, the only one I know the first thing about at the moment is Sammy Watkins. He looks similar to Torrey Smith, if just a touch bigger and more refined in his game than Torrey was, coming out. but heíll likely go in the top 20 anyway. Unless he gets arrested again.

Suddenly though, it looks like TE could be a position of need, going into 2014. Dennis Pitta out for the year (probably), and in a contract year. Ed Dickson injured again, with unproven consistency and also in a contract year. Shiancoe and Clark are obviously not long term solutions. Furstenburg could be, depending on how he develops.

So Austin Sefarian-Jenkins is my man to watch. Heís big, strong, faster than any LB, has good hands. Basically another potential Gronkowski (though he might have Gronkís meatheadedness as well), he should be a stud TE in the NFL. I doubt the Ravens would be able to get him, even if they wanted to, though. I expect him to go in the top 15 to 20 range.

Colt Lyerla is graded as the second TE in the draft at the moment, and though Iíve not seen any vids of him, he sounds like another of the new breed of NFL TEs, that more and more teams are beginning to seriously desire.

Yeah, I definitely think the LT position will likely be our most glaring weakness heading into next offseason. I definitely don't expect Taylor Lewan to be anywhere near our selection, I definitely think he'll clearly be the first OT off the board. And then Jake Matthews is probably another top 10 option as between his play and his bloodlines (and the NFL seems obsessed with probowl bloodlines), I find it unlikely that he makes it past so many OL needy teams.

If any OT falls to us it'll probably be either Cyril Kouandijo or James Hurst. I don't really expect either to fall though. Quality OTs seem to go pretty high no matter what. More than likely, we'll probably have to settle for more of a 2nd or 3rd round OT option. We'll just have to try and look for someone with potential that might be a solution. Someone like Seantrel Henderson probably wouldn't offer a safe selection, but as a late 2nd option and a senior, he might be worth a gamble if he shows the quickness to potentially play LT.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
NJ Raven wrote:

Yeah, I saw that. Nova is actually worse than what Kenny Britt had to work with there. Besides his awesome last name, there doesn't seem to be anything in his QB play that should make one feel confident about him.

Doesn't Rutgers have some sort of 4 star QB recruit going there... you'd think that guy would be better.

But indeed Coleman is definitely the real deal. I'd love to double dip at the WR position with both he and Abbrederis.

Probably thinking of Tom Savage, who transfered to Arizona and then more recently to Pitt. Nova, a three star recruit & as bad as he was, is still much better than any other QB in the program.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:

Yeah, I definitely think the LT position will likely be our most glaring weakness heading into next offseason. I definitely don't expect Taylor Lewan to be anywhere near our selection, I definitely think he'll clearly be the first OT off the board. And then Jake Matthews is probably another top 10 option as between his play and his bloodlines (and the NFL seems obsessed with probowl bloodlines), I find it unlikely that he makes it past so many OL needy teams.

If any OT falls to us it'll probably be either Cyril Kouandijo or James Hurst. I don't really expect either to fall though. Quality OTs seem to go pretty high no matter what. More than likely, we'll probably have to settle for more of a 2nd or 3rd round OT option. We'll just have to try and look for someone with potential that might be a solution. Someone like Seantrel Henderson probably wouldn't offer a safe selection, but as a late 2nd option and a senior, he might be worth a gamble if he shows the quickness to potentially play LT.

That's the problem with being consistently good, I guess. After more than a couple of years, those holes in the roster get harder to plug, because you're missing out on the elite talent, year after year.

Presuming the Ravens don't have a down year, they're going to have to at least consider trading up to try and get a starting LT. There does appear to be several 'second tier' guys, after the four already listed.

Antonio Richardson and Cyril Richardson, David Yankey. But you never really know whether these guys will realise their potential.

I still think the Ravens want Ricky Wagner to be their RT of the future, and won't try very hard to retain Oher next year, but it's a big stretch to think Wagner, or anyone else on the roster, could become a guy who the team would trust to protect Joe's blindside.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... If Clowney continues to play like he did against UNC, we might have a shot at him. Laughing

On another note. Clowney was lined up against James Hurst, a day one/day two talent. Holding Clowney sackless definitely adds to his resume. I'm hoping the LT talent at the top of the draft allow enough teams to sleep on him for us to have a shot at getting him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
So... If Clowney continues to play like he did against UNC, we might have a shot at him. Laughing

On another note. Clowney was lined up against James Hurst, a day one/day two talent. Holding Clowney sackless definitely adds to his resume. I'm hoping the LT talent at the top of the draft allow enough teams to sleep on him for us to have a shot at getting him.

I don't know if you saw the game, but Clowney regularly blew by Hurst, the UNC team runs a offense predicated on short passsing which was largely responsible for CLowney's sackless performance. That and Bryn Renner managed two or three one yard runs.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

I don't know if you saw the game, but Clowney regularly blew by Hurst, the UNC team runs a offense predicated on short passsing which was largely responsible for CLowney's sackless performance. That and Bryn Renner managed two or three one yard runs.

Didn't see it, just heard second hand that he didn't play well/up to the hype. Which seemed to imply that Hurst did well.

I did hear that Clowney dominated the 1st quarter though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annnnnd that right there folks is why I want Sammy Watkins BAD!!!!!! Shocked

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
Annnnnd that right there folks is why I want Sammy Watkins BAD!!!!!! Shocked

The Ravens have no chance of getting him, unfortunately. But I'm hoping that he, and a bunch of other skill players, have fantastic seasons this year. All the more likely then for LT prospects to drop down the board. Hopefully we get another run on QBs, with Bridgewater, Manziell, McCarron, Boyd, Fales getting hyped up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just figured I'd keep a little stat track on some of these top wide outs for this class.

Marqise Lee- 8 recs, 104 yds, 0 TDs -> against Hawaii

Sammy Watkins- 6 recs, 127 yds, 1 TD -> against Georgia

Brandon Coleman- 9 recs, 94 yds, 2 TDs -> against Fresno State

Jared Abbrederis- 2 recs, 122 yds, 2 TDs -> against UMass

Jordan Matthews- 10 recs, 178 yds, 1 TD -> against Ole Miss

Cody Hoffman- n/a (hamstring)

All this to still pimp Brandon Coleman.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like we might just have another need that I didn't necessarily anticipate. Free safety.

Matt Elam definitely appears to be a better fit as a roaming SS type of player that can go around and be your playmaker.

But with the FAIL of Michael Huff in this Denver game, I'm not sure he's even going to be a short term answer for us. Perhaps this was just a bad bad game for him, but perhaps not. He wasn't physical, didn't seek out contact, looked hesitant, wasn't incredibly instinctive, and didn't look somewhat lazy in this past game. All I know is we can't trust him.

I think Antone Exum would be the perfect compliment to what we have in Elam. A guy with nice size to cover TEs and is known as a pretty strong coverage option. He's a playmaker and gets his hands on a lot of balls. He'd make for a very nice second day option in the draft.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
It looks like we might just have another need that I didn't necessarily anticipate. Free safety.

Matt Elam definitely appears to be a better fit as a roaming SS type of player that can go around and be your playmaker.

But with the FAIL of Michael Huff in this Denver game, I'm not sure he's even going to be a short term answer for us. Perhaps this was just a bad bad game for him, but perhaps not. He wasn't physical, didn't seek out contact, looked hesitant, wasn't incredibly instinctive, and didn't look somewhat lazy in this past game. All I know is we can't trust him.

I think Antone Exum would be the perfect compliment to what we have in Elam. A guy with nice size to cover TEs and is known as a pretty strong coverage option. He's a playmaker and gets his hands on a lot of balls. He'd make for a very nice second day option in the draft.

I agree about Michael Huff completely.

I also think we might have to consider the possibity that Pitta is going to be less of a weapon when he returns from his injury, and start looking for a front line TE prospect in the upcoming draft to add in to the mix with him and Furstenberg.

Dickson is a complimentary TE, not a starter. And Clark is a stopgap at best.

Assuming we don't use a 1st rounder on the position, a couple of guys who I'm keeping an eye on are Arthur Lynch and Jace Amaro, either of whom should be available in the middle of the draft. Lynch would be the more traditional, rounded prospect, with Amaro being more of a receiving threat in the intermediate area of the field. Both would be useful in replacing Dickson and/or Bajema.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: