Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GB Detailed Cap Prospectus (Updated 5/20/2014)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMcKay16

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dijatool wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:
Here's the scoop on Datone. Pretty standard stuff here I believe.

Front page isn't updated yet. Had a couple other minor moves which I'll take care of tonight and update accordingly.

That 4th year roster bonus is a very odd number. I tried fiddling around with a split between a lump sum and a per game number and never did find anything that felt right. Do you think that's all per game bonus money?

Also, the base salary for years 1 through 3 is guaranteed with no offset language (from what I've heard thus far).

Maybe the roster bonus is a function of some base number and a percentage increase in the cap? Or maybe its just a number with in a range based on the new draft slotting system? Wish I could help more but I don't know enough about the rooking contracts for my own liking.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a club option for a 5th year. But we won't know the cost of it until its time to use it. Worth noting though.
jake1962

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, quite a bit of work. I don't know if you have this information, but what I like to see is length of contract and when signed and cap hit if released in a particular year of the contract. It helps me see who will stay or be gone more than just how much a guy is paid per season or a particular position group. To me those numbers just tell us what we already know: who the best players are, the most important positions, and who just signed the latest contracts with a bunch of leverage. Those are always the guys who get paid the most.
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dijatool wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

Front page isn't updated yet. Had a couple other minor moves which I'll take care of tonight and update accordingly.

That 4th year roster bonus is a very odd number. I tried fiddling around with a split between a lump sum and a per game number and never did find anything that felt right. Do you think that's all per game bonus money?

Also, the base salary for years 1 through 3 is guaranteed with no offset language (from what I've heard thus far).

I would think because it's an odd number that it's probably per-game bonuses, but I'm sure it's a consequence of the rookie thresholds.

ChaRisMa wrote:
There is a club option for a 5th year. But we won't know the cost of it until its time to use it. Worth noting though.

Do you have a link for that? When I google "Datone Jones Club Option" all I get is a lot of Colin Kaepernick results. I really hope we shut them down week 1.
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jake1962 wrote:
Wow, quite a bit of work. I don't know if you have this information, but what I like to see is length of contract and when signed and cap hit if released in a particular year of the contract. It helps me see who will stay or be gone more than just how much a guy is paid per season or a particular position group. To me those numbers just tell us what we already know: who the best players are, the most important positions, and who just signed the latest contracts with a bunch of leverage. Those are always the guys who get paid the most.

Let me look into it and see what I can do. Any changes will likely be a couple weeks out. Pretty busy for the next two weeks.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami wrote:
dijatool wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

I would think because it's an odd number that it's probably per-game bonuses, but I'm sure it's a consequence of the rookie thresholds.

ChaRisMa wrote:

Do you have a link for that? When I google "Datone Jones Club Option" all I get is a lot of Colin Kaepernick results. I really hope we shut them down week 1.

All first round picks are signed to 4 year deals with a club option for a 5th year. The pay for the 5th year formulas are posted below follow by one of the many links I could find that displayed this. Sherrod I believe had a 5th year wrote in to his contract because he was contracted under the old CBA rules. But Perry and Jones also have club options that have to be decided on AFTER their 3rd season and before their 4th season.

Additionally, teams control the fifth year. Teams don't have to exercise the option on a fifth year until after the player's third season (and before the start of his fourth). Furthermore, the fifth year isn't even fully guaranteed. If the player gets hurt, he gets paid. If he's simply not good enough, a team can cut him.

Subsequently, the financial terms work to teams' benefit as well.
For the top 10 picks in the first round, the fifth-year salary is the average of the top 10 players at his position. For picks 11 to 32, it's the average of the third through 25th highest-paid players at that position.
By contrast, there is no option for a player in the second round with four-year deals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--nfl-contract-rules-could-help-matt-barkley--other-qbs-get-drafted-in-first-round-150546269.html

This is why the end of round 1 is a hot trade target. Want that 5th year option? Get in to the end of round 1. Want to save a bunch of money paying that franchise QB a lot less in his 5th year? Trade that extra bit to get into round 1 and get his rights to a 5th year.
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, awesome call on the above link. I didn't know it was a standard procedure for rookie contracts per the new CBA. I did notice it in Sherrod's contract, but thought nothing bigger of it. I made the changes as advised to the spreadsheet and figures.

Real quick, as expected, Vince Young's contract came in for the minimum (I mistakenly credited him an extra year's of service before). We'll actually pay him $715,000, but on $555,000 will hit the cap per the Minimum Salary Benefit. We still have $580,000 in room available toward that should we choose to use it.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this has already ben addressed, but it's late and I'n sleepy. Is the top 51 rule really going away, and is that really a good idea? O kinda understand what the implications are, but I have no faith in individuals.
dijatool

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
Sorry if this has already ben addressed, but it's late and I'n sleepy. Is the top 51 rule really going away, and is that really a good idea? O kinda understand what the implications are, but I have no faith in individuals.

It is only in effect during the 'off' season. As soon as the final cuts are made, all dead money and all compensation for players on the roster including those on the practice squad and injury lists count and have to fit into the cap.

The top 51 is mainly an accounting mechanism used by the league and NFLPA to indicate generally where teams are in terms of spending until things get real.

I prefer tracking the potential salaries, so in my mind we're 3.7 M over the cap until we start getting rid of people. We've got 131,696,168 roster compensation and 1,995,874 in dead money on the books right now.

ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why they chose top 51 and not just use the top 53.. Just makes it harder for the cap guy with no real benefit.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
I don't understand why they chose top 51 and not just use the top 53.. Just makes it harder for the cap guy with no real benefit.
Because it was originally the top and bottom contract that didn't count. Obviously it was abused, so it became top 51.
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to updating this. The last month has been pretty hectic as I imagine the next month will be and all of those cuts took a while to process.

As we sit now, I show us at $10.4 million in cap space. With the talent (read: depth) we have at the positions, I wouldn't be surprised if we released Tramon Williams and/or didn't re-sign BJ Raji. Of course there's a long season ahead, but they seem like potential moves that wouldn't be beyond Ted Thompson.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami wrote:
Finally got around to updating this. The last month has been pretty hectic as I imagine the next month will be and all of those cuts took a while to process.

As we sit now, I show us at $10.4 million in cap space. With the talent (read: depth) we have at the positions, I wouldn't be surprised if we released Tramon Williams and/or didn't re-sign BJ Raji. Of course there's a long season ahead, but they seem like potential moves that wouldn't be beyond Ted Thompson.

cannot foresee any situation in which Raji is not re-signed.
MMcKay16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

I can't prove it with a link or anything but I think I read in the MJS where Raji was quoted as saying he and the club were in negotiations.

I do think that Tramon could be a cap casualty, or at least restructure his number way down.
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

What would you be willing to pay the guy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: