Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Gm 1: Seahawks @ Chargers GDT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offense line by no stretch is San Francisco or Seattles but with the offensive scheme I think we are planning on running, I think they can be serviceable. 4/5 positions on the line have a new starter so we are going to have some growing pains but I think the quick attack offense that Has been installed we will be better then most folks expect.

The defense looked light years ahead of where I expected them. That being said it's preseason and their is depth needed across the board. One more injury could turn us into a 3 win team.

Special teams looked sloppy. I expect that to be a point of focuse and improve in the preseason.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
The 3s and 4s are tuuuuuuurrible

Yup.

Folks on the .com forum are freaking out about that. The 1's and 2's looked fine for the most, expect the 2nd team offensive line.

Well, that's because the folks at .com don't understand that when you go with a youth movement that typically means that your 3 & 4's are going to be largely UDFA's and guys with 2 or less years experience in the team who are so unwanted they didn't merit a "futures" contract prior to the end of the previous league year.

The positive about that? We might actually be in a position for once to swoop a waived player or even get a player more open to playing for our PS over another because it might offer him an easier route to an active roster. With the ties to Dan Henning, expect McCoy and Telesco to have a watchful eye on the Henning-similar WCO teams when rosters start getting trimmed (i.e. Denver, Carolina, Baltimore... I'd imagine Buffalo as well, just on the off-chance any OL that Coach D had taken a shine to in the past is released).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
The OT's are a different story. Starks will be this year's Mario Henderson, and not make the final 53. Harris showed no improvement at all. Becton looked like Harris. They're going to have to make a move for somebody.

I also get that impression about Starks. His contract is also not working in his favor, considering how things are going. Very little of his one-year deal is guaranteed. Roughly $2M is not guaranteed and, although I don't see a breakdown of all of his bonus money, I doubt that he's getting paid much in workout money. Telesco probably used something similar to Freeney's per-game roster bonus so that they have more cap space to work with right now. Anyway, the Chargers are tight on cap space right now. They are also projected to be about $4M over the 2014 cap (before cutting certain highly-paid players). I don't think that Telesco is eager to pay someone $2M who not only isn't looking like he can beat Dunlap, but isn't even separating himself from Becton. There are other players who can signed to help the team right now (like a backup RB), and contract extensions for the young players is also a priority. Donald Butler is obviously an extension candidate. But, Cam Thomas and Chad Rinehart are free agents at the end of the season, and could impress enough as starters to be re-signed.

game3525 wrote:
Isn't Winston Justice still out there?

Yes. Telesco met with Winston Justice in May. A few other teams also met with him, so they might not want to wait around forever.
game3525

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
game3525 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
The 3s and 4s are tuuuuuuurrible

Yup.

Folks on the .com forum are freaking out about that. The 1's and 2's looked fine for the most, expect the 2nd team offensive line.

Well, that's because the folks at .com don't understand that when you go with a youth movement that typically means that your 3 & 4's are going to be largely UDFA's and guys with 2 or less years experience in the team who are so unwanted they didn't merit a "futures" contract prior to the end of the previous league year.

The positive about that? We might actually be in a position for once to swoop a waived player or even get a player more open to playing for our PS over another because it might offer him an easier route to an active roster. With the ties to Dan Henning, expect McCoy and Telesco to have a watchful eye on the Henning-similar WCO teams when rosters start getting trimmed (i.e. Denver, Carolina, Baltimore... I'd imagine Buffalo as well, just on the off-chance any OL that Coach D had taken a shine to in the past is released).

Yeah, hopefully TT is like Ted Thompson, the Packers are excellent when it comes to raiding final day cuts.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Geathers was the best UDFA out there. He was driving the Seattle center far back.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
game3525

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geathers is going to make the team, but I still see TT getting a vet before opening day.
kramxel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some random thoughts:

- Actually wasn't disgusted with our 1st team o-line. I think there is some potential in there.

- Our 2nd team O-line, on the other hand was bad, specially on the edges. Starks looked BAD and Harris looked like he was still playing 2012 football. Molk looked half-decent, but I expected more from Troutman.

- Meachem is terribad! What a waste of roster space. Every ball thrown his way looks like it's going to be intercepted, because he makes no effort to make that comeback... and he can't get enough separation to go deep.

- Whitehurst is not worthy of a roster space, either. He looks no better than a 3rd stringer. He has none of the upside Volek used to bring.

- 1st team D had some nice plays, but weren't truly tested.

- Our 2nd/3rd D-line had some issues. And I didn't real comfortable with their play.

- Liked to see English and Tourek out there, looked better than everyone around them.

- Still don't like what Gakhar and Bird are doing, and I see no upside in either of them.

- Secondary looked a lot like a revolving door, and it's difficult to get a grasp on most players. Steve Williams moved well and didn't look clueless (actually thought that TD was on Stuckey, as he seemed to have middle responsibility).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Neutral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramxel wrote:
- Meachem is terribad! What a waste of roster space. Every ball thrown his way looks like it's going to be intercepted, because he makes no effort to make that comeback... and he can't get enough separation to go deep.

- Whitehurst is not worthy of a roster space, either. He looks no better than a 3rd stringer. He has none of the upside Volek used to bring.

Agreed on Meachem and Whitehurst..
It's a shame that Whitehurst was so bad that we couldn't tell much about the WRs fighting for a spot. The #4 WR spot looks like it's up for grabs.

Quote:
- Liked to see English and Tourek out there, looked better than everyone around them.

Disagree on Tourek..
The Seahawks had a lot of success running at him, and their LT drove him back multiple times. It made him look very one-dimensional, which is a problem if Freeney gets injured at some point, and Tourek makes a start.
kramxel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:

Quote:

Disagree on Tourek..
The Seahawks had a lot of success running at him, and their LT drove him back multiple times. It made him look very one-dimensional, which is a problem if Freeney gets injured at some point, and Tourek makes a start.

I noticed Tourek on passing plays, mostly, and he was driving his man backward on one occasion, and got around him for a near pressure on another play.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: