Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defense showing 3-4 looks in practice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shotgundraw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Defense showing 3-4 looks in practice Reply with quote

I somehow missed this yesterday.

From BBV :
Quote:
The most interesting news was that the Giants spent a significant amount of time employing a 3-4 defense.

With the first unit, Shaun Rogers and Linval Joseph alternately lined up at the nose while the defense employed the 3-4 look, with Cullen Jenkins and Mathias Kiwanuka at the defensive ends. The outside linebackers were Justin Tuck (yes, Tuck instead of Kiwanuka) and Keith Rivers, with Mark Herzlich and Spencer Paysinger inside.

Click for full article.

Do you think this is something we could actually use during the season ?

Let's go totally armchair on this.

I mean Joseph is a big guy (6"4, 325) so I can imagine him playing NT although there's obviously a lot more than height and weight involve in switching positions.
Cofield did good switching from our 4-3 to WAS' 3-4.

But Tuck as OLB (and JPP as well I guess when back?) ?
OLBs drop in coverage something like 10% of the time, that's crazy to think Tuck or JPP would do anything in coverage - we've actually seen it a few times and it's not pretty.

Kiwi is below 270, that's way too light to play 3-4DE right ?

What do you think ?
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Defense showing 3-4 looks in practice Reply with quote

shotgundraw wrote:
I somehow missed this yesterday.

From BBV :
Quote:
The most interesting news was that the Giants spent a significant amount of time employing a 3-4 defense.

With the first unit, Shaun Rogers and Linval Joseph alternately lined up at the nose while the defense employed the 3-4 look, with Cullen Jenkins and Mathias Kiwanuka at the defensive ends. The outside linebackers were Justin Tuck (yes, Tuck instead of Kiwanuka) and Keith Rivers, with Mark Herzlich and Spencer Paysinger inside.

Click for full article.

Do you think this is something we could actually use during the season ?

Let's go totally armchair on this.

I mean Joseph is a big guy (6"4, 325) so I can imagine him playing NT although there's obviously a lot more than height and weight involve in switching positions.
Cofield did good switching from our 4-3 to WAS' 3-4.

But Tuck as OLB (and JPP as well I guess when back?) ?
OLBs drop in coverage something like 10% of the time, that's crazy to think Tuck or JPP would do anything in coverage - we've actually seen it a few times and it's not pretty.

Kiwi is below 270, that's way too light to play 3-4DE right ?

What do you think ?

You would think after years of pretending Kiwi was a 4-3 LB, he'd be obvious for 3-4 OLB looks. JPP could be a 3-4 DE, Tuck is too small too, but I'm not sure he could fit a 3-4 OLB now anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've heard this kind of stuff in previous training camps, but it doesn't seem to carry over to the regular season. Maybe this is the season it finally happens.

It sounds like Shawn Rogers has been working with the first team quite a bit. I never really considered him a roster candidate at his age, but I really loved the guy back when he was with the Lions. I'd like to see him make the team. With Cullen Jenkins spending some time at DE, we could see a pretty good run stuffing line with Joseph, Rogers in the middle and Jenkins at DE.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
shotgundraw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lions were a long timee ago for Rogers.
Many injuries in between.

He actually played NT for the Browns for 3 years, from 2008 to 2010.
His started strongly but declined steadily - although always above average. He remained great stopping the run, his decline being most of all seen in pass rushing duties.

Based on PFF grades and FOA 09 to 11 which seem to be in agreement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: