Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

As a Receiving Threat, how does Dickson compare to Pitta?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: As a Receiving Threat, how does Dickson compare to Pitta Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

So what are the expectations of Pitta? I have a hard time seeing Flacco getting even pedestrian yardage numbers without a good chunk going to Ed.

Smith- ~1000
Rice ~700

The rest is spread among alot of young guys or Jones right?

In terms of numbers predictions for Flacco:
4,265 yds, 365c/580a (63%), 7.35 avg, 31 TDs

So a career year by a healthy margin then? Time for him to live up to being a top QB I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: As a Receiving Threat, how does Dickson compare to Pitta Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

So what are the expectations of Pitta? I have a hard time seeing Flacco getting even pedestrian yardage numbers without a good chunk going to Ed.

Smith- ~1000
Rice ~700

So a career year by a healthy margin then? Time for him to live up to being a top QB I guess.

Well last year he likely cracks the 4k mark if he didn't sit out most the Bengals game. So while it looks like 400 yds more than what he's done (because it would be) it probably would only be about 200 more than what he likely would've gotten to last regular season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: As a Receiving Threat, how does Dickson compare to Pitta Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Smith- ~1000
Rice ~700

Well last year he likely cracks the 4k mark if he didn't sit out most the Bengals game. So while it looks like 400 yds more than what he's done (because it would be) it probably would only be about 200 more than what he likely would've gotten to last regular season.

Your prediction also gives him 11 more TD's than he had last year (excluding playoffs) and 8 more than his career high. It would also match his career high in completion percentage to go along with the best yardage year.

There is nothing wrong with your prediction, It does appear that it would make it his career year to date though, unless he throws a bunch of picks.

Edit: I read 33 TD's for some reason, so my math is off. make it 9 more than last year and 6 more than his career high (passing).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Yeah, I'm not backing down from the prediction, I'm just stating that I didn't think it was drastically off what he's done. I mean, it's definitely an elevated production, but you're right... the expectation is for him to make a leap in consistency this year.

And really, when looking at Cam Cameron pupils, the year after he leaves is the year where we usually see them make that leap forward. Philip Rivers did it and Drew Brees did it as well. Sure Rivers had Norv Turner and Brees had Sean Payton, but I think there's something to be said about Cameron's ability to grow QB talent, but keep enough shackles on it to really shine... like an overprotective parent that doesn't know when its time to take off the training wheels.

Now if Flacco had better weapons to work with, that'd make me a little more confident in outlying a prediction, but he's got enough to get by, so we'll see. I think the biggest thing, like I said, will be the OC change. Caldwell has made it a point to build his offense around his offensive talent and I have to think that will be a big gain for Flacco... even if his weapons aren't as experienced in game action as you'd hope.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: As a Receiving Threat, how does Dickson compare to Pitta Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Smith- ~1000
Rice ~700

Did you mean what are the expectations for Flacco? Since Pitta is injured, I can only assume you were thinking to say expectations for either Flacco or Dickson... and since Dickson's expectations have sort of been discussed, I can only assume you meant to say Flacco?

Assuming you meant to say Flacco, spreading the ball around and "making receivers" has always been a sign of a good QB, we get to see exactly how good Flacco is under this new level of factors. But we still have to remember that it took a guy like Big Ben awhile to crack the 4k barrier too, so I'm not sure it's the teams target, just more of a media/fan thing to point to as a way of determining if Flacco was worth his contract. But I could definitely see Flacco still producing and cracking that barrier with the talent on hand. I think we'll see more of a committee approach.

Smith- 65, 1100, 9 TDs
Rice- 70, 600, 2 TDs
Jacoby- 40, 540, 3 TDs
Dickson- 50, 525, 5 TDs
Doss- 40, 450, 4 TDs
Thompson- 20, 360, 2 TDs
Juszczyk- 30, 300, 3 TDs
Shiancoe- 20, 200, 2 TDs
Pierce- 20, 140, 1 TD
Leach- 10, 50

With Jacoby being both receiver and returner I could certainly see his receiver role being given a little more opportunities than last year while still being limited on the field some for a breather. So I'm thinking the #4 WR, which at this point appears to be Deonte Thompson, should receive some nice opportunities to work on the outside and in the slot on occasion. Thompson possesses a similar skillset to Jacoby which means his offensive role wouldn't need to differ. It would be more or less plug and play. So I'm thinking while Doss solidifies the #3/slot receiver spot with his production pacing and probably slightly exceeding what we received last year from Jacoby, Boldin's production should basically be covered by a combination of Jacoby/Thompson.

With Pitta/Boldin gone, I think Rice reprises his former role of 3rd down checkdown favorite for Flacco and that shows with increased receptions from over last season. I'm thinking Rice and Doss will be the third down guys this year to replace last years tandem.

And I expect Smith to largely pace the group. He has the explosiveness and experience to crack the 1k mark and with increased receptions coming his way, I expect him to get to that mark and then some.

Other than a rare target, Leach probably sees few passes his way. And again, with a committee like system, I expect the trio of Dickson, Juszczyk, and Shiancoe to see the tight end position in different roles. All seeing some opportunities. Shiancoe is a veteran so I could see Flacco relying on him when Dickson struggles with consistency, but at the same time Dickson is in a contract year and he's a matchup mismatch for most defenders, so I do expect some positive output. But between inconsistent hands and increased defensive focus, I don't think we see much more than average starting TE production. And I'm thinking Juszczyk will sort of be like Pitta in 2011, see increased targets and opportunities as the season progresses until its clear he has some sort of special Ray Rice/Dennis Pitta-esq connection with Flacco and the coaches will be forced to find him more and more playing time.

Obviously I see Flacco having a career year as a passer in yards without Cam Cameron as he can now pass towards the middle of the field (who knew?), I see increased touchdowns with the increase in pass attempts and confidence Flacco looks to have, and lastly with an ability to target the middle of the field more and with so many short/intermediate type receiver options at his disposal I'm thinking we'll see Flacco's completion percentage approach a career bests at 63%. I see a more Patriots/Tom Brady spread the ball around like jelly type of attack than we've seen in past years.

Prior to Pitta's injury I had expected him to replace Boldin's roll in the offense and for Dickson to take on Pitta's role. With Pitta out, I obviously still think Dickson will replace Pitta's production, but I suspect two distinct possibilities for the offense. One being an attempt to be a dominant running team. If healthy Baltimore will have one of the best offensive lines with regard to the running game, plus Vontae at fullback and Juicecheck (yes I'm spelling it that way) at an H-Back role. All reports out of camp have Bernard Pierce bigger, and stronger, and I could see Baltimore using Pierce as an inside runner and Ray Rice as an outside runner in an attempt to mash the defense. Conversely I could see the Ravens utilizing a team speed kills philosophy, starting Torry Smith, Jacoby Jones, and Deonte Thompson at wide receiver with Dickson at tight end and Ray Rice at running back. If which case I could see Ray Rice putting up monster receiving numbers as the speed at wide out would require safeties to stay deep. The last possibility would be to maintain the current offense and use a combination of Deonte Thompson, Tandon Doss, and David Reed to collectively replace what Boldin did, and allowing Dickson to step into Pitta's role, and Smith and Jones to maintain there roles in the offense.
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: As a Receiving Threat, how does Dickson compare to Pitta Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

Smith- ~1000
Rice ~700

Did you mean what are the expectations for Flacco? Since Pitta is injured, I can only assume you were thinking to say expectations for either Flacco or Dickson... and since Dickson's expectations have sort of been discussed, I can only assume you meant to say Flacco?

Assuming you meant to say Flacco, spreading the ball around and "making receivers" has always been a sign of a good QB, we get to see exactly how good Flacco is under this new level of factors. But we still have to remember that it took a guy like Big Ben awhile to crack the 4k barrier too, so I'm not sure it's the teams target, just more of a media/fan thing to point to as a way of determining if Flacco was worth his contract. But I could definitely see Flacco still producing and cracking that barrier with the talent on hand. I think we'll see more of a committee approach.

Smith- 65, 1100, 9 TDs
Rice- 70, 600, 2 TDs
Jacoby- 40, 540, 3 TDs
Dickson- 50, 525, 5 TDs
Doss- 40, 450, 4 TDs
Thompson- 20, 360, 2 TDs
Juszczyk- 30, 300, 3 TDs
Shiancoe- 20, 200, 2 TDs
Pierce- 20, 140, 1 TD
Leach- 10, 50

With Jacoby being both receiver and returner I could certainly see his receiver role being given a little more opportunities than last year while still being limited on the field some for a breather. So I'm thinking the #4 WR, which at this point appears to be Deonte Thompson, should receive some nice opportunities to work on the outside and in the slot on occasion. Thompson possesses a similar skillset to Jacoby which means his offensive role wouldn't need to differ. It would be more or less plug and play. So I'm thinking while Doss solidifies the #3/slot receiver spot with his production pacing and probably slightly exceeding what we received last year from Jacoby, Boldin's production should basically be covered by a combination of Jacoby/Thompson.

With Pitta/Boldin gone, I think Rice reprises his former role of 3rd down checkdown favorite for Flacco and that shows with increased receptions from over last season. I'm thinking Rice and Doss will be the third down guys this year to replace last years tandem.

And I expect Smith to largely pace the group. He has the explosiveness and experience to crack the 1k mark and with increased receptions coming his way, I expect him to get to that mark and then some.

Other than a rare target, Leach probably sees few passes his way. And again, with a committee like system, I expect the trio of Dickson, Juszczyk, and Shiancoe to see the tight end position in different roles. All seeing some opportunities. Shiancoe is a veteran so I could see Flacco relying on him when Dickson struggles with consistency, but at the same time Dickson is in a contract year and he's a matchup mismatch for most defenders, so I do expect some positive output. But between inconsistent hands and increased defensive focus, I don't think we see much more than average starting TE production. And I'm thinking Juszczyk will sort of be like Pitta in 2011, see increased targets and opportunities as the season progresses until its clear he has some sort of special Ray Rice/Dennis Pitta-esq connection with Flacco and the coaches will be forced to find him more and more playing time.

Obviously I see Flacco having a career year as a passer in yards without Cam Cameron as he can now pass towards the middle of the field (who knew?), I see increased touchdowns with the increase in pass attempts and confidence Flacco looks to have, and lastly with an ability to target the middle of the field more and with so many short/intermediate type receiver options at his disposal I'm thinking we'll see Flacco's completion percentage approach a career bests at 63%. I see a more Patriots/Tom Brady spread the ball around like jelly type of attack than we've seen in past years.

Prior to Pitta's injury I had expected him to replace Boldin's roll in the offense and for Dickson to take on Pitta's role. With Pitta out, I obviously still think Dickson will replace Pitta's production, but I suspect two distinct possibilities for the offense. One being an attempt to be a dominant running team. If healthy Baltimore will have one of the best offensive lines with regard to the running game, plus Vontae at fullback and Juicecheck (yes I'm spelling it that way) at an H-Back role. All reports out of camp have Bernard Pierce bigger, and stronger, and I could see Baltimore using Pierce as an inside runner and Ray Rice as an outside runner in an attempt to mash the defense. Conversely I could see the Ravens utilizing a team speed kills philosophy, starting Torry Smith, Jacoby Jones, and Deonte Thompson at wide receiver with Dickson at tight end and Ray Rice at running back. If which case I could see Ray Rice putting up monster receiving numbers as the speed at wide out would require safeties to stay deep. The last possibility would be to maintain the current offense and use a combination of Deonte Thompson, Tandon Doss, and David Reed to collectively replace what Boldin did, and allowing Dickson to step into Pitta's role, and Smith and Jones to maintain there roles in the offense.

Thank you for this summary. This is the one that makes the most sense to me. I'm just an outsider looking in...but I don't see how Flacco has better statistics without Boldin and Pitta. Dickson is no Pitta, and Smith definitely benefited from the Ravens' short passing game. If I am a defender...I spy Ray Rice out of the backfield and double team Smith. We will have to wait and see if there is another receiver who can demand respect...but at this point, I don't see it. I think that their best chance to take a double team away from Smith is to have a superb running game.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/06/the-post-pitta-problem-its-a-big-one/

Pretty good read for anyone interested in figuring out the challenges facing our passing game. It also provides an illustrative point as to why a lot of us have more faith in Caldwell to solve this conundrum: He is devoted to putting his personnel in the best position to succeed. And that means adjusting as things come up. Losing Pitta means we're not at 'next man up' anymore, because Pitta was in a sense the next man up stepping up as our most reliable target in the middle of the field, Boldin, moved on. Now it's 'next 2 men up,' with Ed Dickson moving up the ladder and an undetermined mix of other guys stepping in to fill the remaining void And we can only hope Dickson's hamstring problem goes away or else we're looking at the possibility of 'next 3 men up.'

Juszcyck has been talked about as a 'little Pitta' and I expect that he'll have his moments this year, but he's also a rookie stepping up from the Ivy League. Best-case scenario is that he is up to speed by November and December and starts to take on a more heavy target load. With Leach re-signed to take care of lead-blocking duties, there's a pretty clear indication as to what part of Juszcyzk's game we want to get up to speed first this year.

Tandon Doss is most naturally inclined to play in the slot and it remains to be seen whether he's ready to take advantage of his opportunity. Basically we're about to find out whether he's tough enough to make it in this league. If he can't be a guy Joe trusts throwing to in the middle of the field, he'll take a long seat on the bench because there are better options as outside receivers on this roster. Deonte Thompson is a burner and most often thought of as an outside receiver but it sounds like he's being experimented with in the slot and has shown some good things so far in camp in terms of being able to generate some separation in that space. The question will remain whether he'll be able to make the tougher catches in traffic, though.

I think Ray Rice is a big-time wild card in all of this. We saw Caldwell starting to use Rice a bit more in motion when he was promoted up to OC, and I suspect that touchdown catch and run he had against the Giants where he wheeled out of the backfield after the snap and ran a slant over the middle offers a hint of the way we'll need to use Rice more in the passing game this year. I wouldn't be shocked to see us motion him into the slot before the snap more this year and use him as a Welker-type of receiver. And I'm definitely not the only one thinking about it:

Quote:
“You can definitely do it [Rice in the slot] a little bit,” Flacco said. “And it would be interesting to see who they put on him and stuff like that. If you can get him lined up one-on-one with a linebacker out there … Even running stuff out of the backfield in your three-wides package with him—it definitely creates problems. I think we are really good when we are running routes with him out of the backfield. Lining him up in the slot and doing those things, because even if you don’t do it a ton, it keeps defenses a little off-balance and it makes the defense think a little bit about what they are going to do. When you get those guys thinking a little bit, and not just out there playing, that’s when you kind of have them. All defenses are talented. If you can let those guys just line up and play fast football and play confidently, then they’re gonna be pretty good. If you throw in a couple wrinkles just to make them think a little bit, then I think that’s when you can get them off balance a little bit.”

The other opportunity that arises here is the ability to use Pierce and Rice together on the field at the same time. We did that only once last season, in the Super Bowl when Pierce lined up as a fullback ahead of Rice and Rice was then motioned out wide before a run to the left with Pierce. We can keep defenses on our toes a good deal with Pierce/Rice backfield formations. In a split backs formation we can do quick tosses or counter plays in either direction running the ball, or else motion Rice into the slot our out wide before the snap and either run or pass the ball from there, or pass the ball with one of them running a route out of the backfield and the other staying to pass block. Without the Boldin/Pitta safety blanket, I think Rice will be relied upon in a much bigger way in the passing game, knowing that we can keep his carries down by feeding the ball to Pierce.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.”
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rice in the slot isn't a bad idea.

I'm sure we all remember the embarrassment that was James Harrison trying to cover Ray Rice in the slot (or was it Farrior?) a couple years back in the game where Kruger won the game with a pick.

I think it could be done. Rice certainly has the agility and acceleration, his problem is top-line speed, and I think if you put him in the slot or motion him out of the backfield you can create huge problems (IE linebackers on Rice or linebackers on the TE's).

Ironically enough, I've been doing this in Madden all year long and have had great success with it Cool

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: As a Receiving Threat, how does Dickson compare to Pitta Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
alfalcone wrote:

Thank you for this summary. This is the one that makes the most sense to me. I'm just an outsider looking in...but I don't see how Flacco has better statistics without Boldin and Pitta. Dickson is no Pitta, and Smith definitely benefited from the Ravens' short passing game. If I am a defender...I spy Ray Rice out of the backfield and double team Smith. We will have to wait and see if there is another receiver who can demand respect...but at this point, I don't see it. I think that their best chance to take a double team away from Smith is to have a superb running game.

Now I'm in no way saying that my projections were accurate, by any means. But I don't think you quite understand the situation here as well as you think.

By implying that Pitta = Boldin, Dickson = Pitta... in terms of their "role" that implies that the offense is largely unchanged, that the offense has the same identity as last season.

You don't survive losing two key offensive components by building an offensive philosophy around the same outdated concept.

The major reason I anticipate Flacco having a career year doesn't even have to do with the component pieces so much as the offensive coordinator change. That was one of the key points that I made a note to clarify in my post. I could really care less about the distribution of the production, I may be close, I may be far off (it's a projection), but as B-Terp noted above, my confidence in Flacco meeting the above projected numbers comes from the change in offensive coordinators.

There is no secret in Baltimore land that Cam Cameron was a very stubborn coach. It was his way or the highway. Cameron had a detailed offensive approach that he only deviated away from when he was "under fire"... which is both figurative (in big games) and literal (when his job was under question).

In 2010, Flacco had his previous "career season". 2nd most yardage total (3,622), most touchdowns (25), highest TD% (5.1), 2nd highest completion% (62.6), highest yard average (7.4), highest quarterback rating (93.6), and established his highest number of GWDs that he tied this season (4).

Flacco accredited a good chunk of his development to working with Jim Zorn, a noted QB coach. Flacco's footwork took a nice leap forward and his play-action fake took a very noticeable leap forward from terrible to decent.

In 2011 Flacco's development stalled because Cameron basically got jealous over Zorn and he was let go to appease Cameron... and Flacco failed to have a QBs coach, Cameron instead handled both OC and QBC duties.

However in 2012 Flacco took another notable leap forward early in the season with his footwork. His PA fake went from decent to pretty good and his footwork improved. When Cameron was fired the offense, not simply Flacco, took another leap forward, as routes in the middle of the field were finally being utilized more and that better allowed us to utilize Boldin.

So I see a pattern. At each point where Cameron was given less control of the offense, leaps were made in its productivity. And with a full year under an OC that is best willing to utilize his talent and not simply fit it into a system, I see Flacco's best opportunity for a career season. Sure he's not going to throw for an 11-0 TD/int ratio, but achieving 30+ TDs is a strong possibility for a QB entering his prime with more freedom than he's ever had. Both Brees and River also made leaps the year after Cameron left them.

So back to the original point. You build the playbook around Flacco's strengths as a passer, around our running game, and around what we have at receiver. We have a nice mix of deep threat options (Smith, Jones, Thompson) and possession options (Rice, Dickson, Juszczyk, Doss, Reed, Shianco, and Furstenburg). All of these guys are competing to shape the roles they will play within this offense.

I mean before Pitta broke out, whose role was his? The closest option might be Derrick Mason, as he was Flacco's security blanket, but what Pitta and Mason did were completely different. This offense has enough time to figure out the best fit that gives it the best chance to succeed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Rice in the slot isn't a bad idea.

I'm sure we all remember the embarrassment that was James Harrison trying to cover Ray Rice in the slot (or was it Farrior?) a couple years back in the game where Kruger won the game with a pick.

I think it could be done. Rice certainly has the agility and acceleration, his problem is top-line speed, and I think if you put him in the slot or motion him out of the backfield you can create huge problems (IE linebackers on Rice or linebackers on the TE's).

Ironically enough, I've been doing this in Madden all year long and have had great success with it Cool

Agreed. During Faulk's prime years he would regularly catch 80 balls a season for 800+ yds. I think Rice possesses a similar skillset. Especially if he's lost some of that excess bulk from a year ago that didn't really help him as a blocker and only slowed him down as a receiver... than he could really be better in that slot receiver mold. If Doss fails to really attach his hip to that slot position than increasing Rice's opportunities in that area with more receptions there could easily help this offense to offset any gains we might've hoped for from Doss.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: