Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins QB RGIII has been cleared for training camp
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NINERFAN_4_LIFE


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 12511
Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkman98272 wrote:
imani wrote:
hawkman98272 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
This idea to rush a player back after a major injury is not very wise. He's blown out both knees already. One more knee injury could cost him his career. Cleared or not, the team needs to be more cautious with him. He's their franchise and could be their QB for the next 15 years. Why sacrifice that for the sole sake of getting him back 5-8 games sooner? It doesn't make sense.



No it wouldnt cost him a career. Firstly because people have come back from multiple ACL tears. Secondly, he is a QB. He doesnt have to be physically gifted. He has enough arm talent to succeed. He wouldnt be done by any stretch.


I didn't say it would. I said that it could. And few people return from mutiple ACL tears, let alone return to top form, so it should be of significant concern considering the team invested millions in him and stands to gain much more than that if he remains healthy and had a long, productive career. Again, it seems very reckless. There is no need to take that chance so quickly.
I'm with misfit here.

You traded multiple first round picks for your franchise QB, to rush him back for one season is pretty shortsighted. Maybe later in the season get some games in.

Sure he could survive on his arm, but what makes him so dynamic is his ability to escape and picks up extra yards. It's not like he's amazing with his arm.


There's certainly nothing wrong with it
Never said there was anything wrong with it, but he'd never be able to be as effective with his arm if he injures his knee again. Like I said, his dynamic ability comes from his ability to move.


I disagree. His dynamic ability comes from the accuracy on his deep ball, he is easily in the top 5 in terms of accuracy on his deep ball. now his ability to move certainly helps because he can buy time for the wrs to get down field, and his running ability can help dictate certain coverages, but even without those things he would be well above average bc he is accurate and a great decision maker. Couple that with his leadership ability and I think he would still be a great qb even if he didn't have elite speed/agility. he's got good mechanics and such. I think he could be on drew brees level as a passer in a few years if he stays the course. It'll be interesting to see how these teams attack these young qbs (kaep luck Wilson rg) in their second years as starters... I wonder who will establish themselves as the clear cut best qb

He should take as much time as he needs, sometimes guys don't have as much confidence in the knee for a while even when its healthy. He doesn't strike me as the type but you never know
_________________
imani wrote:
We got so lucky last season

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marcus21


Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1108
Location: North Carolina
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are reading too much into all this.....RG3 was cleared to practice to keep him off the PUP list, so he can participate in team activities like walk threws and 7 on 7 drills. He needs to be able to work with his receivers and backs to get their timing back. He wonít be in full contact drills in camp!!!! Iím not sure he will play in the preseason for more than a quarter!!! This is what they mean by "ease him in" HTTR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 2782
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Glad there are so many experts/doctors in here Laughing


This same conversation (and probably worse) occurred during Peterson's comeback too. Everyone on here thought they knew best.

It must come as a shock to some of these people that real-life doctors who make real-life money and have dedicated their lives to understanding how to do this properly and have a lot on the line are in charge of determining what is "rushing" someone back and what is not.

It's ridiculous.


Peterson is the exception, not the rule. What he did was nothing short of miraculous. Especially if it indeed was not aided by any kind of HGH/steroid. Holding every other athlete with a A tear to that high a standard would be a mistake. That's not to say RGIII isn't as capable of doing the same but caution should always be priority #1.


People said Wes Welker was rushed back too.

My post clearly wasn't about the timeframe of any individual athlete but rather aimed at those who think someone is being rushed back regardless of elapsed time based on...probably just the post above them.


I can agree with that. However would you agree that people "in general" compare one athletes recovery to another way to often? As though if player A was able to recover and play at a high level player C, will as well. That's where I have the issue is the "assumption" RGIII will be the same as a AP/Welker. When the flip side could just as easily be say a Derrick Rose / Javon Walker outcome "IF" god forbid he is indeed rushed along to quickly. I have no doubt given the scrutiny the entire organization were under after the playoff loss/tear that they will be extra cautious with RGIII in the coming months. It's just a matter of weighing short term goals (MNF,excitement,proving everyone wrong) with long term (fans slight disappointment, extra time, playoff run,etc,). Last thing the Redskins Organization can afford is for another surgery to their Franchise QB.


I don't know much about the Javon Walker situation, but I am a bigger basketball fan than I am a football fan and I know Derrick Rose sat out longer than his doctors deemed necessary because he didn't feel comfortable with his knee yet. RGIII is clearly not having the same doubts, so I don't understand you trying to compare those two situations.

You seem to assume that just because RGIII is healing as fast as AP that he is in danger of everyone thinking he is AP. He's not, he's RGIII, and he's been going through multiple tests at every stage to see where he is at in his rehabilitation. The doctors aren't sitting there, watching him fail a test, and saying "O well, AP did it, he'll be fine". He's passed every test at every stage with flying colors, and that's something that is totally on him, not in comparison to other players.

Look, there are people who have dedicated their whole lives to getting players back from injury as efficiently as possible, with the healing time taken into account. These people are called doctors/trainers, and the doctors and trainers working on RGIII are among the best in the world. If they say he is ready to go, and he belives he is ready to go, then he is ready to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20355
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Glad there are so many experts/doctors in here Laughing


This same conversation (and probably worse) occurred during Peterson's comeback too. Everyone on here thought they knew best.

It must come as a shock to some of these people that real-life doctors who make real-life money and have dedicated their lives to understanding how to do this properly and have a lot on the line are in charge of determining what is "rushing" someone back and what is not.

It's ridiculous.


Peterson is the exception, not the rule. What he did was nothing short of miraculous. Especially if it indeed was not aided by any kind of HGH/steroid. Holding every other athlete with a A tear to that high a standard would be a mistake. That's not to say RGIII isn't as capable of doing the same but caution should always be priority #1.


People said Wes Welker was rushed back too.

My post clearly wasn't about the timeframe of any individual athlete but rather aimed at those who think someone is being rushed back regardless of elapsed time based on...probably just the post above them.


I can agree with that. However would you agree that people "in general" compare one athletes recovery to another way to often? As though if player A was able to recover and play at a high level player C, will as well. That's where I have the issue is the "assumption" RGIII will be the same as a AP/Welker. When the flip side could just as easily be say a Derrick Rose / Javon Walker outcome "IF" god forbid he is indeed rushed along to quickly. I have no doubt given the scrutiny the entire organization were under after the playoff loss/tear that they will be extra cautious with RGIII in the coming months. It's just a matter of weighing short term goals (MNF,excitement,proving everyone wrong) with long term (fans slight disappointment, extra time, playoff run,etc,). Last thing the Redskins Organization can afford is for another surgery to their Franchise QB.


I don't know much about the Javon Walker situation, but I am a bigger basketball fan than I am a football fan and I know Derrick Rose sat out longer than his doctors deemed necessary because he didn't feel comfortable with his knee yet. RGIII is clearly not having the same doubts, so I don't understand you trying to compare those two situations.

You seem to assume that just because RGIII is healing as fast as AP that he is in danger of everyone thinking he is AP. He's not, he's RGIII, and he's been going through multiple tests at every stage to see where he is at in his rehabilitation. The doctors aren't sitting there, watching him fail a test, and saying "O well, AP did it, he'll be fine". He's passed every test at every stage with flying colors, and that's something that is totally on him, not in comparison to other players.

Look, there are people who have dedicated their whole lives to getting players back from injury as efficiently as possible, with the healing time taken into account. These people are called doctors/trainers, and the doctors and trainers working on RGIII are among the best in the world. If they say he is ready to go, and he belives he is ready to go, then he is ready to go.


You make an excellent point, but there are times when a team needs to protect the player from himself with respect to returning from an injury. Players, especially football players, will often rush themselves back onto the field even if they aren't ready because they don't want to lose money, get cut, let their teammates down, or any other bevy of reasons. But, when dealing with a franchise QB who is now on his second ACL replacement (one per knee), the team should exercise caution to protect its investment. That's all.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39452
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Very exaggerated slide by RG3 in open field in 7 on 7 drill and the crowd goes wild. The guy is a supreme showman.


https://twitter.com/DonBanks/status/361222118794469376
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flash22


Joined: 13 Oct 2007
Posts: 1214
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If RG3 has any sense of humor he would pull up wincing peter griffin style after his home preseason snap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNBl_XIUzgQ
_________________
Deep down inside...If you bleed red and pee gold...your a redskins fan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 82366
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
Very exaggerated slide by RG3 in open field in 7 on 7 drill and the crowd goes wild. The guy is a supreme showman.


https://twitter.com/DonBanks/status/361222118794469376


Showman is one word, but that was moronic. Stay on your feet right now dude, dont go looking for trouble sliding. Although after that "slide" against baltimore he clearly needs practice Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tom cody


Joined: 01 Sep 2007
Posts: 8332
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news here, just hope he has learned his lesson and will take it easy this season.
_________________
A hundred bucks for a comic book? Who drew it, Michaelmelangelo?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
silus


Joined: 09 Aug 2007
Posts: 1843
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Mike Shanahan is medically clearing players now?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THESKINSFAN21


Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 4275
Location: West Palm Beach
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silus wrote:
So Mike Shanahan is medically clearing players now?

No....
_________________

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group