Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans sign former Broncos LB Joe Mays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Texans sign former Broncos LB Joe Mays Reply with quote

Quote:
Texans signed ILB Joe Mays

https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/361924003914448900
Tom Brady Tribute
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good pick up at a weak area....Also keeps Schuab from getting murdered at some point in the season

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bronco connections

^Gopher<3Wrestler^
simonwayne wrote:
The problem is not many people are like me, they'll complain when it fits their agenda and completely ignore bad officiating when it doesn't
texans_uk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard he sucks

biggio7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
I heard he sucks

I heard the same. Broncos fans claimed he was benched before his injury. Must be better than what the Texans have now though. I wonder how he is going to be received in the locker room.

I adopted Brian Cushing for the 2013/14 season. Boom. Cush.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, it's about friggin time we stopped counting on Daryl Sharpton for anything. The guy was a marginal 4th rounder to start with and missed 4 games his rookie year, 8 in year 2, and 7 last year. Now he's got a groin injury that apparently happened outside of football which flies in the face of all the PR spin he was putting out about steps he's been taking to make sure he's actually on the football field this season. I'm all for giving the guy a crack at proving he can still make an impact, but we should NOT be making any decisions predicated upon him being a part of this team anymore better yet a projected starter. We should not be moving Brooks Reed around because Sharpton can't get it done as Sam Montgomery already looks like a lost cause this season at least, and Travardo Williams has a long way to go before being worthy of a starting job in this league. We also don't need Cushing seeing a football field in the pre-season and need to keep his practice reps light, not inflated because Sharpton can't suit up yet again.

As for Mays, I know Broncos fans loved him early in the season and rushed to defend him as a great guy when the Schaub hit happened, but his season went downhill almost immediately after the hit and suspension. Reminded me a bit of Kermit Washington (Rudy T) at the time as a good guy doing a bad thing (probably with Del Rio in his ear). He does have a much more productive track record than Sharpton does and at 28 he's much younger than the other ILB options like Keith Brooking, Bart Scott, Takeo Spikes or ex Texans Bradie James & Barrett Ruud. Unlike those, he still contributes on special teams as well. It's worth noting that he lost his job to Brooking last year though before going down with a knee injury, ironically blocking for a Trindon Holliday return.

I like the move and applaud the Texans for no longer being complacent in addressing holes on this roster that haven't gotten any smaller since draft day. Time to address WR next, Rick!

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
mse326

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
I heard he sucks

I heard the same. Broncos fans claimed he was benched before his injury. Must be better than what the Texans have now though. I wonder how he is going to be received in the locker room.

I have heard he tailed off but from what I remember watching him and what I've read he's better suited for a 3-4

#JDI
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good signing and will help us shore up the middle on run plays. Plays physical and should be able to do good considering our surrounding players.
marktheshark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos fan,

As a player he was forced into in a position by management to fill a void that he doesn't fill. He will miss some tackles but did a decent job for us in the 4-3 when he really a 3-4 ILB. He is better against the run, but excels in laying a hit (as I'm sure your aware) he also a great ST and locker room guy, he plays hard (sometimes it lands him in truble) but plays upto his potential. I'd be thrilled if I was a Texans fan, great depth and individual to add to a team.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until I see it on the field I'm very ehhhhhhhhh about this signing. What does he bring to the team that Dobbins doesn't already provide? Don't get me wrong I do appreciate the Texans at least trying to add some depth to a team weakness.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
Until I see it on the field I'm very ehhhhhhhhh about this signing. What does he bring to the team that Dobbins doesn't already provide? Don't get me wrong I do appreciate the Texans at least trying to add some depth to a team weakness.

He's an upgrade over Dobbins (younger, faster, bigger hitter). Unlike Sharpton, he's healthy enough to play. Unlike the old farts still on the market or James last year, he'll actually be a special teams contributor. We need 4 ILBs and after the m*a*s*h unit last year, we don't need to go into the season counting on Cam Collins, Jagared Davis, or Mike Muhamed or trolling for the Barrett Ruud's of the world when Sharpton inevitably gets hurt again (presuming he even takes the field). For a late July signing, this at least qualifies as one with an upside.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: