Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins sign former Packers, Bills LB Nick Barnett
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Redskins24-7 wrote:
Solid depth in case either Riley regresses, London shows his age, and Robinson doesn't break out. I must say I'm not a huge fan, but I find no reason to complain about picking up some depth on the defensive side of the ball.

Robinsons out for the season. I like the signing,Barnett had a good year with Buffalo,I dont see why he cant be a situational playmaker.

Yeah I just got the Robinson news not long ago. Sad Oh well. I guess Barnett will replace Robinson. Does Barnett have any experience on special teams? If not, then who will replace both him and Alexander? Shocked
Duke Ihenacho: IR
Ryan Clark: 40 tackles, 1 PDef, .5 sacks
Logan Paulsen: 9 catches, 46 yards... and a fumble
redskins4life

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! He's OLD!
Dashing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He gonna end up starting eventually. This is the first time he is healthy so I expect him to fight riley for the starting job , he was excelent as a run stopper but poor in coverage so hopfully in the 3-4 it can improve.
Dashing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5. Nick Barnett2012 Grade: +6.0 2012 Snaps: 1,025Summary: After two decent years in Buffalo, the Bills released the veteran linebacker. He showed sparks in 2012 of still being a great player, recording four games with four or more stops. He had a positive coverage grade in 2012, in large part due to quarterbacks avoiding him. His 9.4 cover snaps per target was the highest in the league for 4-3 outside linebackers. His Tackling Efficiency of 17.2 was sixth-best for 4-3 outside linebackers with at least 50 tackles. By the time the 2013 season hits he will be 32, so he won’t be making an impact in the league much longer. However, he can be a short-term fix as an every-down linebacker.

He needs to start with that bolded letter.I wish seymour would come .
Marcus21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before hopefully he will never see the field......In the case of an injury, its nice to have a solid veteran behind fletcher. Yes he is long in the tooth, but he played very well last year in buffalo. Is age doesnt bother me because hes not going to start....he will be fresh when we need him.. It also creates compition between Keil and Muckelroy for the last job. Someone is going to get their feelings hurt.
I was hoping one of the UFA ILB would have an amazing camp and blow the doors off someone....With this signing, it doesnt look like thats going to happen.
Overall, great signing IMO!!!!! one year stop gap, with tons of experience!
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
I wish seymour would come .

Me too, bro.
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Like I said before hopefully he will never see the field......In the case of an injury, its nice to have a solid veteran behind fletcher. Yes he is long in the tooth, but he played very well last year in buffalo. Is age doesnt bother me because hes not going to start....he will be fresh when we need him.. It also creates compition between Keil and Muckelroy for the last job. Someone is going to get their feelings hurt.
I was hoping one of the UFA ILB would have an amazing camp and blow the doors off someone....With this signing, it doesnt look like thats going to happen.

Great Post! And getting Barnett was a Great signing. He had a really good procedure done to his knee. Will push everyone as he is used to starting and now will compete for time

I like why he is happy to be here: the after effects of a Winning program where FA's Want to come not just for money but to WIN
Dashing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:

Great Post! And getting Barnett was a Great signing. He had a really good procedure done to his knee. Will push everyone as he is used to starting and now will compete for time

I like how happy he is to be here: the after effects of a Winning program where FA's Want to come not just for money but to WIN
I think he will start lets face coverage was awful and I believe pickef him up because he can cover and run stop as well as being consistent and having a good IQ. I just feel we need the best starters out there and nick burnett was ranked high last year and is even more healthy so looking at some games we need a coverage LB out there and he can do that and run stop and I'm pretty sure can make some plays.

I predict him a starter down the line .....maybe during pre-season if he does excelent whivh I believe he will.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
DCRED wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:

I like how happy he is to be here: the after effects of a Winning program where FA's Want to come not just for money but to WIN
I think he will start lets face coverage was awful and I believe pickef him up because he can cover and run stop as well as being consistent and having a good IQ. I just feel we need the best starters out there and nick burnett was ranked high last year and is even more healthy so looking at some games we need a coverage LB out there and he can do that and run stop and I'm pretty sure can make some plays.

I predict him a starter down the line .....maybe during pre-season if he does excelent whivh I believe he will.
Start over who?

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 20 tackles, 1 FF, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 14 catches, 150 rec yards
Dashing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
Dashing wrote:

Me too, bro.
never know if we got him my tune on the skins woukd change dramatically .he was a good player and would upgrade our DL big time since jmo we lack a DL who can break double teams and get to the backfield quick.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:
Dashing wrote:

Me too, bro.
never know if we got him my tune on the skins woukd change dramatically .he was a good player and would upgrade our DL big time since jmo we lack a DL who can break double teams and get to the backfield quick.
We don't have the cap room to sign Seymour.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 20 tackles, 1 FF, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 14 catches, 150 rec yards
Marcus21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
DCRED wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:

There is no way Barnett beats out Riley or fletcher for the starting job!!! He may spell London on passing downs. Baring injury, that is the closest he will get to the field!
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
Does Barnett have any experience on special teams? If not, then who will replace both him and Alexander? Shocked

While Barnett might have played special teams way back when, it isn't likely he'll play teams for us (barring injuries). As for replacing Alexander, that will go to Kehl. I suspect they'll find someone to replace Robinson's nine tackles for us this year.

redskins4life wrote:
Dang! He's OLD!

He's 32. It's not THAT old. In any event, who did you think would be available in early August? You either have guys who have next to no experience or older vets trying to find a decent one year deal.

Dashing wrote:
He gonna end up starting eventually. This is the first time he is healthy so I expect him to fight riley for the starting job , he was excelent as a run stopper but poor in coverage so hopfully in the 3-4 it can improve.

I hope that he'll do much better, because while we are more lacking in the pass defense than the run D.

I would be a bit surprised if he takes the starting job (outside of injury) because he'll need to learn the terminology and playbook first.
markrc99

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote: "I think he will start let's face coverage was awful and I believe [they] picked him up because he can cover and run stop as well as being consistent and having a good IQ. I just feel we need the best starters out there and Nick Barnett was ranked high last year and is even more healthy so looking at some games we need a coverage LB out there and he can do that and run stop and I'm pretty sure can make some plays."

Barnett was a good player for the Packers, a team that drafts & develops but one with a long history of letting those players go when their rookie contract expires. Green Bay has never been known for throwing money around, that Barnett was re-signed in '07 says a lot about his game. But that was a long time ago & in subsequent years he had trouble staying on the field. While possessing exceptional range, Green Bay & Buffalo fans remember a guy who would play undisciplined at times, taking himself out of position. He was on the field for Buffalo & he's obviously in one piece now. As you substantiate, there's reason to believe that he can still contribute. However, also implied is that the depth at ILB was suspect anyway, Barnett was let go back in February not just a week ago or so. If he still possesses much of his skill set it would seem they would've brought him in anyway. This acquisition is reactionary, done solely due to the fact that Robinson is out.

With respect to the depth, they've had golden opportunities to significantly upgrade at ILB both these last two offseasons & yet they didn't do it. I'm afraid I have to agree with the others concerning your contention that Barnett is there to displace Perry Riley if he can or more appropriately, London Fletcher. Anyone who would suggest that Fletcher has to "win", has to out-compete to start is FOS! No, no, he'll be out there because he's the best player. What a pathetic joke, he's the best player compared to who? Well, the coaching staff has said repeatedly that they really like Keenan Robinson, who outperformed the starters in coverage vs Jason Witten when he got a chance. A few weeks ago Pro Football Focus put out another performance-based article grading players at every position. London Fletcher was graded as "poor", they took into account his injuries. When Robinson first went down last year they brought in Robert Muckleroy. However, several days later they reacquired Bryan Kehl, who had just been released by Kansas City. Neither player has Robinson's attributes or skill set, but they're of that mold. I agree with Woz to the extent that if better cover personnel is going to get a chance to play, Kehl is in a good position to crack the lineup. IF....if he gets to compete, I believe that even he'd upgrade their pass coverage. When he came out (back in 2008) among his attributes that scouts noted were quickness, speed, change of direction, instincts in coverage & the ability to elevate and compete for the football.

Rather than pursue a Kevin Reddick or Keith Pough, the team brought in Will Compton and Steve Greer. Accordingly, Compton is the product of a program that better prepares guys to play in an NFL defense. Greer is the local product, a gritty, inside run stopper. Both these guys are considerably undersized & at an obvious disadvantage vs today's TEs. That breakdown done by PFF also noted that the Redskins were in their nickel package 50% of the time!
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redskins4life wrote:
Dang! He's OLD!
He's 2 years younger than me and 6 years younger than Fletcher and he has 5 or 6 years of experience at ILB in the 3-4. It's a good fit Very Happy

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: