Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dion Jordan to possibly play on Special Teams.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeyL.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Dion Jordan to possibly play on Special Teams. Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9525801/dion-jordan-miami-dolphins-play-special-teams

Quote:
Jordan wants to play special teams, and the Dolphins are inclined to let him...

Interesting. To me this would be a horrible move considering he JUST got cleared for contact. I would not want my #3 overall pick to be fielding kick offs.

What do you guys think?

and I know this article is pure speculation, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion.

^^^packerbacker87, mad props yo.
"
This is America, the land of individualism, civil
disobedience and footballs that dont roll like the rest of the world wants them to"
bpastermack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE his attitude! And until he is getting 600 reps on defense I see no reason why not to put him on special teams. A kickoff is a more important play than an individual play on defense.

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a bad idea. Ted Ginn is the last 1st rounder I can remember talking about playing special teams. I'd like to forget that expience as much as possible. Beyond that, no need to risk injury or to have Jordan focused on anything other than getting better and learning his position(s) on defense.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put him on FG block and maybe on punt coverage.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
ukdolfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be a surprise, the reality of the 45 man roster is that most defensive players play some form of special teams.

To be honest, after being asked about special teams, it would be a bigger story if he said he wasn't willing to play it.

^ Jamison on the sig.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vernon was one of our best special teamers last year, for what it's worth.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see him blocking punts or FG attempts only. Covering punts and kick offs or being on either of those return teams would be crazy IMO.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all complained for years about our special teams. We finally have a great special teams unit and we complain that certain guys are on it cause they might get hurt. You can't have it both ways.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Merc, reading the thread topic I had an immediate flashback........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaYgGSHJ5hM

and I still believe Ireland screwed up the 2013 draft.

As far as special teams, its a train wreck waiting to happen, men sacrifice their bodies hoping to make enough plays to hopefully move up the depth chart. Its a combination of Darwin and Gladiator. I can't believe the earths rotation wasn't shifted by a universal face palm with the belief that this is a good move by the Dolphins.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 14, Tackles 17 Assists 6 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 14 : Death 45 Joe 37
Deets

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really bothered by the idea. Hes young and we're loaded at the position so hes not going to be a full-time starter right away (and Vernon has looked very good as well). It sounds like he just wants as many opportunities as possible to make plays.

FF Member #67
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
I'm not really bothered by the idea. Hes young and we're loaded at the position so hes not going to be a full-time starter right away (and Vernon has looked very good as well). It sounds like he just wants as many opportunities as possible to make plays.

As a retort to your statement sir, Shouldn't a first round pick be selected as an immediate starter especially to a team that has other obvious deficiencies ? Wouldn't we have been served for the long term success of the Dolphins to have taken say an offensive lineman that is highly rated ? Why move up in the draft to select someone who does not start or at best plays in specific situations ? Is his skill set so high that other positions were ignored so that we can wait on the future possibility of his performance ?

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 14, Tackles 17 Assists 6 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 14 : Death 45 Joe 37
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Deets wrote:

As a retort to your statement sir, Shouldn't a first round pick be selected as an immediate starter especially to a team that has other obvious deficiencies ? Wouldn't we have been served for the long term success of the Dolphins to have taken say an offensive lineman that is highly rated ? Why move up in the draft to select someone who does not start or at best plays in specific situations ? Is his skill set so high that other positions were ignored so that we can wait on the future possibility of his performance ?

Our selection was made as a reflection on our draft board. Miami didn't draft Lane Johnson because Dion Jordan was rated higher. Drafting Lane Johnson as purely a need basis is exactly how you have a team with average players across the board and zero depth. Take the best player. Miami did, and got a pretty darn good value to move up and get the top guy on their board.

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
bpastermack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Deets wrote:

The O lineman you are referring to was also pretty raw, and may have needed a season to adjust. He probably would have been an immediate starter just because Martin sucks, but would he have been very good? I like Johnson and wouldn't have minded the pick. I liked the trade up because it was cheap. But let's be honest, it was a poor draft class in general. I think in most drafts Jordan would have been a 5-10 type pick. So I don't lump him into the top 5 pick category. And that was based on a guy with raw potential. I think he will be a complimentary player as long as Vernon keeps things up, and hopefully by mid season make the switch.

The truth is though I think each of Wake, Vernon and Jordan will probably be in the game about 2/3 of the time in order to keep legs fresh. That's how the Giants do it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We traded up to 3rd overall to grab a premiere pass rushing prospect. He better not be playing on Special teams.

Besides we already have a premiere special teams DE. His name is Oliver Vernon.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Deadeye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Idea Jeans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBAyYBHJhPQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: