Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seahawks claim former Cardinals LB O'Brien Schofield

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Seahawks claim former Cardinals LB O'Brien Schofield Reply with quote

Quote:
Per @blakebaratz, the #Seahawks claimed O'Brien Schofield off waivers from the Cardinals.

https://twitter.com/brian_mcintyre/status/361224730734374912
Tom Brady Tribute
chpjns15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know anything about this guy?

Edit:

Just did some research on this guy, all of this is from when he came out of college in 2010. Here is what I found:

Quote:
O'Brien Schofield
6'2, 221 pounds | Outside linebacker | Wisconsin

Strengths: Schofield is an experienced player who reads plays really well. Quickly sniffs out and differentiates pass and run plays. Closes with a lot of speed and intensity. Has lined up in a two-, three- and four-point stance. Very athletic. Showed during offseason practices that he can drop back into coverage and still make a play. Takes nearly perfect angles when he's tracking the run to the outside.

Weaknesses: Played defensive end in college and will need to transition to a new position. Can be moved around by blockers and needs to get much stronger, particularly in his lower body. Inexperienced dropping into coverage in actual games. Struggles when he has to work to the inside and gets lost in the trash. Has a variety of pass rush moves, but executes none of them especially well. Tore his ACL during Senior Bowl practice and may be a non-factor his first year in the league.

Final word: No player benefited more during East-West Shrine Game practice than Schofield. But whatever team takes Schofield is taking a risk. His game is based on quickness and athleticism. How much that is negatively affected by the torn ACL is unknown.

When Schofield is fit, he's a dangerous pass rusher and is a heady player. He may not go until the five or sixth round, but could be a steal for a team that has patience.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/31/1398276/obrien-schofield-nfl-draft

Interview:

Quote:
How do you feel about the transition from defensive end to linebacker?
I came out here today to show that I can stand up and play on the outside. It's been a great time showing my skills and that I can make that transition. I'm gonna show I'm a coverage linebacker.

What did you measure during the weigh-in?
I measured in this morning at 6'2, 242. I was listed at 250 but I lost weight during the year.

How was today's practice different than at Wisconsin?
The biggest thing I noticed was that these coaches are keeping it simple. They're allowing everyone to understand the situation.

What's your biggest asset when you step on the football field?
I will be able to cover well, man on man and stuff like that.

What scouts have showed interest in you the last few days?
I had interviews from Scouts from Carolina, Chicago, Philadelphia, Kansas City, San Francisco, Washington, Atlanta and New England.

Most of the teams are 43 teams, how do you feel about that?
I'm likely gonna have to stand up and play strong side linebacker and I feel I can work in any scheme.
But I would love to put my hand down and just get up and go.

Quote:
O'Brien Schofield has a monster senior season for the Badgers. Schofield started his career playing on
special teams for Wisconsin, getting his first start in their 2007 bowl game at defensive end, where he
had three tackles and a forced fumble. As a junior in 2008, he registered 40 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss,
and 5 sacks in 13 games at defensive end. This year as a senior, Schofield made the transition to
outside linebacker, which should benefit his professional career greatly. He played in 11 games for
Wisconsin this season with 55 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss, 8 sacks, 2 passes broken up in
coverage, and forced 2 fumbles. Schofield is too small to play defensive end in the NFL, and his
best position would likely be as a 3-4 outside linebacker. He is an incredible pass rusher, but
this year's experience dropping into coverage should show scouts he has the ability to make the
transition. Because he is new to the position, he'll need a strong showing in the post season games
and workouts to solidify his draft status. At this point, he is likely a fourth or fifth round
selection, but has an excellent chance to improve his stock

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/315805-pats-looking-lb-o-brien-schofield.html

It would appear that we wanted some competition for Malcolm Smith at the WLB position. My best guess is that we signed him for that reason. He also has strengths in coverage, which would help us immensely. Just look at the Falcons playoff game last season and it shows that we need an athletic LB to cover TEs. We will have to see how he performs and if he even makes the team first, of course.

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
imani

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this move is to both give Irvin some competition at SLB during TC and play in his place there for the first 4 games of the season. I'd place a pretty good bet on it actually.

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Meeker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
I think this move is to both give Irvin some competition at SLB during TC and play in his place there for the first 4 games of the season. I'd place a pretty good bet on it actually.

This...the front runner to start the season at SLB considering his starting experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a fan of his coming out of Wisconsin ...I believe he fell quite a bit due to an leg injury? He offers experience and decent pass rush ability. I like it. Another badger in the hizhouse

“Its pay back, Russell Wilson"
SoS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the pick up. I know he's struggled with the Cards, but I absolutely loved him coming out of Wisconsin. Hopefully he can have an impact on the team, but I wouldn't automatically anticipate he even makes the team.
chpjns15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is Bobby Engram's cousin! Shocked Laughing

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
clubmember

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's gonna be a superstar now!!!! We're just that good Wink

#JDI
Tooki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Superbowl
imani

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What O'Brien Schofield could offer Seattle

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/104833/what-obrien-schofield-could-offer-seattle

Quote:
RENTON, Wash. -- Former Arizona Cardinals receiver Stephen Williams has stood out for making acrobatic catches during the first few days of Seattle Seahawks training camp. He will soon see a familiar face in Seahawks camp.

Seattle claimed former Cardinals outside linebacker O'Brien Schofield off waivers Saturday, according to a tweet from agent Blake Baratz.

Schofield started nine games and had four sacks last season before suffering a season-ending ankle injury during a collision with teammate Darnell Dockett while the two were chasing Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. The Cardinals released Schofield after signing veteran pass-rusher John Abraham.

The Seahawks could use outside rush help while Chris Clemons recovers from knee surgery and Bruce Irvin serves a four-game suspension to open the season. There are no guarantees Schofield will fill such a role for Seattle. He would have to earn a spot on the 53-man roster to make that happen. But in Schofield, the Seahawks get a 26-year-old player with starting experience. Schofield is 6-foot-3 and 242 pounds, dimensions similar to those for players who have filled the "Leo" defensive end role for the Seahawks.

The Cardinals made Schofield a fourth-round pick in 2010, months after Schofield suffered a torn ACL during Senior Bowl practices. Schofield played 10 games as a rookie and all 16 during his second season, collecting 6.5 sacks in a situational role. He started each of the nine games he played last season before suffering a broken ankle against the Packers. The Cardinals have a new defensive staff without strong ties to Schofield.

Schofield's cousin Bobby Engram was a Seahawks mainstay at receiver during the Mike Holmgren era.

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd be a SLB here. It's a nice pickup

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
klyon7634

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the signing. I liked him coming out of college. He should be a nice fill in for Bruce until week 5.

Seahawks~ Yankees~ Knicks~ Syracuse Orange

#JDI
Plush

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will probably come in as our best blitz linebacker (as far as traditionals go). Like the signing

Seems like one of those something for nothing pick ups that we've become famous for.
outside_Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seattle Seahawks ‏@Seahawks 1h
Schofield: "I'm happy to be able to play the Cardinals twice a year." http://shwks.com/live #BingHawks

"We all we got, we all we need"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: