Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Robert Meachem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aout

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Robert Meachem Reply with quote

Hey there,

What are your thoughts about Meachem ? I mean why was he such a good deep threat when he was in NO and he suddenly became irrelevant in SD ? Was he overrated in NO (ie. he was shining only because of Drew Brees) or he just doesn't fit into the SD system ?
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a little of everything. First off he wasn't that great in NO if you look back. Also as I remember guys on this site back when we signed him talking about him being a body catcher. That doesn't fit with Rivers go and get it throws. Don't get me wrong I think he has talent and can be good but I think he'll be stuck behind many WR's in are system who are a much better fit/talent. I think DA,V Brown, K. Allen (AKA the Raider fan), and Floyd will push him back on the depth chart. Unless he really impresses the new coaches I think he's out of SD.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray really hit it on the head. Even in New Orleans he was at best the #3 option (his last season he was pretty much competing with Lance Moore for that #4 spot when everyone was healthy with Colston, Graham, and Sproles definitively ahead of both the other two... and Devery Henderson still getting deep looks). But also, Drew Brees and Philip Rivers are different types of passers when they're playing their game to a "T". Brees is a "right on the numbers" guy - he'll fit that ball through a window and put it right on the numbers with gusto meaning that if the defender doesn't jump the route, he's got a better chance of knocking the ball away than intercepting it (typically why most of Brees' INT's tend to come off of either tipped balls or receivers failing to secure the catch and defenders seizing opportunity). Rivers is the type to "throw guys open" (at least when he can step into throws), in that he'll put the ball where only his guy can get it, lead them or the route away from the defender's path/trail and rely on the receiver to track the ball and make the catch (typically away from their body as they'll have to extend - look at where Malcom Floyd and Antonio Gates have made their bread and butter... there's definitely a common theme).

Meachem is really just a bad fit and was more or less a "panic buy," not so much panic for the necessity of the team unit (this part is my personal opinion) but rather as a salve to the fans for having let a former Pro Bowler walk in free agency (be there valid reasons to do so or not). We saw AJ Smith do the exact same thing when he moved up in the order to draft Ryan Mathews the year following letting LaDainian Tomlinson receive his walking papers. Meachem was a recognizable name to Chargers fans because he was someone whom many fans had been eyeing as a potential draft pick for us the year we ended up with Buster Davis (we'll never know if Meach would have been the pick or not because the Saints selected him ahead of our pick). And no doubt he was viewed as a "deep threat" which appealed to Norv who seemed intent, come hell or high water, on living and dying by the deep ball last season - ultimately to the detriment of the team and the potential long-term health of his franchise QB given that the offensive line was average at best to begin with and then was decimated by injuries (and one lazy SOB).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Meachem still has some use as a deep threat who can clear out defenders to open things up underneath for the other receivers. Otherwise I agree with what The LBC said.
riceraider8080

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meachem can still be good but he has to be in an explosive offense like New Orleans with a lot of talent around him to help take attention off him...he was always a product of the system Imo...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceraider8080 wrote:
Meachem can still be good but he has to be in an explosive offense like New Orleans with a lot of talent around him to help take attention off him...he was always a product of the system Imo...

This...and now we are a system in need of him Confused

Robust Perry wrote:
They were the dirtiest organization in football

In reference to the Saints.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
riceraider8080 wrote:

This...and now we are a system in need of him Confused

Well you guys just signed him back so we shall see if he can get back to where he was before.

On the bright side for SD, since he signed a 1 year $715,000 contract that means that is $715,000 we don't have to pay. That is assuming he sticks with NO for the whole season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth noting along with what everyone else has said (Injuries, not being great in the first place, or being a bad fit here/with Rivers), kind of actually going with injuries though. A few "sources close to Meachem" said that he was almost completely broken down, didn't have the size/speed/qickness that made him such a valuable deep threat previously.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: