Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears Training Camp Thread 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bkokot


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 2141
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
I think I'm gonna go down for TC this year (never been) - anyone have any suggestions on where to go in scenic Bourbonnais for a good burger after the morning practice?


I would head over to the BrickStone brewery. It's a family restaurant and sports bar, and you can also get some decent craft beer there. Good selection of different burgers and appetizers and things.

If not, there's a Culver's in town, and it's hard to go wrong with one of their burgers.

Hope this helps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 8044
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
Im most curious about the defense.

I have total confidence in the offense. At this point we have a Pro Bowl, QB, RB, and WR.....the OL is totally re-done, and we have an offensive coach, the offense will be tight.

The defense on the other hand is full of question marks....I dont really know who the starters even are, haha


I think the D will continue to roll this year…Lovie & Rod leaving were massive losses and Urlacher & Idonije not being their also hurts the leadership but we still have plenty of key players playing at a high level even if they are the wrong side of 30…Peppers, Briggs & Tillman have shown no sign of slowing down…we still have an elite UT in Melton and an emerging talent in Wootton add in McClellin going into his 2nd year and a rotation of Paea & Ellis the Dline should still be dominant…at LB I think we are hoping Bostic wins out at MLB to give us a new long term leader but even if he doesn’t we still have experience in DJ Williams to step in and go…the fact both Bostic & Williams both have the skill set to play SLB is another strength and even at SLB we have James Anderson who when he was healthy was one of the best in the NFL…add in the depth that Greene, Thomas and Castanzo add and we are set there…at CB we have Jennings coming off a career year and two of the better young safeties in the league in Conte & Wright…we also get Hardin back who will give us depth and a ST presence…Steltz has always been solid and now Zbikowski adds more competition…my biggest concern is the lack of depth at CB but even at that Hayden & Bowman has starting experience…I think we are deeper going into this season that we were last year even with the losses of Urlacher, Idonije, Roach & Moore…

Add all that up with a DC who is adapting to the D that Lovie left and we should be able to keep playing at a really high level before seeing investment in the D next offseason.
Every situation is different but it will be difficult for a new staff to come in and immediately be big winners. We do have a good nucleus of proven veterans so it might happen but I would not expect to see more than 8-8, if that. BUT I am excited to see some new ideas implemented and, as always, hope for the best. Trestman came into the CFL winning and lost in the championship game and was a winner every year so maybe he will be an exception to the general rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 11178
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Every situation is different but it will be difficult for a new staff to come in and immediately be big winners. We do have a good nucleus of proven veterans so it might happen but I would not expect to see more than 8-8, if that. BUT I am excited to see some new ideas implemented and, as always, hope for the best. Trestman came into the CFL winning and lost in the championship game and was a winner every year so maybe he will be an exception to the general rule.

If he can just eliminate the 1-2 drives every half where we would come out with no offensive direction at all and get the plays in in enough time so we can keep some kind of flow to the offense (both seemingly easy fixes) then that alone should lead to some improvement. Game planning to emphasize our offensive strengths and minimize our weaknesses like a real play caller can should be able to do should make for even more improvement.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 8044
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Every situation is different but it will be difficult for a new staff to come in and immediately be big winners. We do have a good nucleus of proven veterans so it might happen but I would not expect to see more than 8-8, if that. BUT I am excited to see some new ideas implemented and, as always, hope for the best. Trestman came into the CFL winning and lost in the championship game and was a winner every year so maybe he will be an exception to the general rule.

If he can just eliminate the 1-2 drives every half where we would come out with no offensive direction at all and get the plays in in enough time so we can keep some kind of flow to the offense (both seemingly easy fixes) then that alone should lead to some improvement. Game planning to emphasize our offensive strengths and minimize our weaknesses like a real play caller can should be able to do should make for even more improvement.
I have ranted on several occasions about how just the simple fact of getting the plays in on time will make a huge difference. So that is something I am counting on. But being an old-time Bears fan I am accustomed to have HUGE expectations for the upcoming season thwarted by one thing or the other. I do expect this team to improve as the year goes on, a hallmark of a championship team and a fatal weakness of the former coach. I also think Trestman is a helluva coach and knows the game inside and out. He is also the first new head coach who has actually been a head coach at some level at least since Halas the 2d, 3d and 4th times. I forgot Pardee coached in the WFL. So I have some optimism that he will be the exception to the rule of losing seasons for new head coaches. But even Bud Grant lost his first year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10309
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the CFL there is a 20 second play clock so getting plays in on time should not be a problem.

The entire league looks like Oregon at times.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 23230
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its 5 days to TC begins…so here are the 5 guys I’m keeping an eye on the most this camp…

1. Jay Cutler…for all the changes the organisation this offseason the key too us being successful still rise and fall on the shoulders of Cutler…this year there are no excuses for him to fail…he is 30 years old so entering the prime of his career…he has an HC in Marc Trestman who was hired in part because the front office think he can fix Cutler…he has a scheme that has had success at every level…he has weapons aplenty on the outside and he has more talent protecting him on the Oline…Cutler has to thrive this year.

2. Kyle Long…I wasn’t a fan of the player before the draft and felt he was being overrated given his inexperience…I hated the fact we took him in the top 20 again because of his inexperience and off field issues…but since he was draft he has said all the right things and seems to have his head on straight…bottom line is we have to watch the entire Oline with only one guy from last year returning to his position…Long will be a key component to Aaron Kromer’s short set scheme which will hopefully quale the pressure up the middle that Cutler has faced since arriving in Chicago.

3. Jon Bostic…with Urlacher leaving there is a hole in the middle of the D that could be filled by DJ Williams but in all honesty it would be great if Bostic could beat him out from day one and become the long term leader of the D…if he can have a quality camp he will not only win a starting role but also the respect of the veterans around him.

4. Fendi Onobun…Onobun was impressive during OTAs…he has the size and athletic ability to be mismatch in the passing game…his biggest issue has always been his lack of physicality stemming from his basketball days…when the pads go on if Onobun can continue to impress he could have a big role in this offence given that Trestman’s scheme will target the middle of the field…Martellus Bennett is a do it all TE and Steve Maneri is a blocking complement but if Onobun can provide enough in the passing game as a complement to Bennett this offence could be extremely explosive.

5. Brandon Hardin…Hardin was drafted because of his size and athletic ability allows him to match up with the types of TEs we are seeing around the league this season…has an opportunity to earn plenty of reps from the NB spot when we come up against the likes of Finley or Rudolph…hopefully in his lost season he has improved his tackling technique and learned the playbook to a level where he can surprise many around the league by having a big year…most importantly he has to get out of camp and preseason healthy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 11178
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
So its 5 days to TC begins…so here are the 5 guys I’m keeping an eye on the most this camp…

1. Jay Cutler…for all the changes the organisation this offseason the key too us being successful still rise and fall on the shoulders of Cutler…this year there are no excuses for him to fail…he is 30 years old so entering the prime of his career…he has an HC in Marc Trestman who was hired in part because the front office think he can fix Cutler…he has a scheme that has had success at every level…he has weapons aplenty on the outside and he has more talent protecting him on the Oline…Cutler has to thrive this year.

2. Kyle Long…I wasn’t a fan of the player before the draft and felt he was being overrated given his inexperience…I hated the fact we took him in the top 20 again because of his inexperience and off field issues…but since he was draft he has said all the right things and seems to have his head on straight…bottom line is we have to watch the entire Oline with only one guy from last year returning to his position…Long will be a key component to Aaron Kromer’s short set scheme which will hopefully quale the pressure up the middle that Cutler has faced since arriving in Chicago.

3. Jon Bostic…with Urlacher leaving there is a hole in the middle of the D that could be filled by DJ Williams but in all honesty it would be great if Bostic could beat him out from day one and become the long term leader of the D…if he can have a quality camp he will not only win a starting role but also the respect of the veterans around him.

4. Fendi Onobun…Onobun was impressive during OTAs…he has the size and athletic ability to be mismatch in the passing game…his biggest issue has always been his lack of physicality stemming from his basketball days…when the pads go on if Onobun can continue to impress he could have a big role in this offence given that Trestman’s scheme will target the middle of the field…Martellus Bennett is a do it all TE and Steve Maneri is a blocking complement but if Onobun can provide enough in the passing game as a complement to Bennett this offence could be extremely explosive.

5. Brandon Hardin…Hardin was drafted because of his size and athletic ability allows him to match up with the types of TEs we are seeing around the league this season…has an opportunity to earn plenty of reps from the NB spot when we come up against the likes of Finley or Rudolph…hopefully in his lost season he has improved his tackling technique and learned the playbook to a level where he can surprise many around the league by having a big year…most importantly he has to get out of camp and preseason healthy.

Everything I've heard about Bostic so far is that the team is REALLY impressed with him so far. If he can step in right away and fill the void at MLB instead of needing to go the 1-year patch route with Williams that would be HUGE.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GOGRIESE


Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 19660
Location: Austin Texas
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboys trying to copy the Peanut Punch....good luck Laughing
_________________

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 11178
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Cowboys trying to copy the Peanut Punch....good luck Laughing

The whole league should be. I just wanna see what happens when someone tries it in the open field, misses, and hits a runner in a very sensitive place.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GOGRIESE


Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 19660
Location: Austin Texas
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
Cowboys trying to copy the Peanut Punch....good luck Laughing

The whole league should be. I just wanna see what happens when someone tries it in the open field, misses, and hits a runner in a very sensitive place.


Well thats one way to get a tackle Laughing
_________________

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10309
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinky wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Having played briefly for Trestman I have 2 pieces of advice for the bears.

1. Get ready to run.

2. Get use to the air horn.


Wait...what?!


I was a 2nd round pick of the Alouettes in 2007 and was in camp with Trestman for 2 months in 2008 before being traded to Winnipeg.

My dorm room was right across the hall from him so we spoke a decent amount during camp.

This guy is professional and detail oriented and there will not be 1 moment of wasted time. Trestman is going to win these guys over quickly because he cares about making sure that they are fresh and prepared.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10309
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
So its 5 days to TC begins…so here are the 5 guys I’m keeping an eye on the most this camp…

1. Jay Cutler…for all the changes the organisation this offseason the key too us being successful still rise and fall on the shoulders of Cutler…this year there are no excuses for him to fail…he is 30 years old so entering the prime of his career…he has an HC in Marc Trestman who was hired in part because the front office think he can fix Cutler…he has a scheme that has had success at every level…he has weapons aplenty on the outside and he has more talent protecting him on the Oline…Cutler has to thrive this year.

2. Kyle Long…I wasn’t a fan of the player before the draft and felt he was being overrated given his inexperience…I hated the fact we took him in the top 20 again because of his inexperience and off field issues…but since he was draft he has said all the right things and seems to have his head on straight…bottom line is we have to watch the entire Oline with only one guy from last year returning to his position…Long will be a key component to Aaron Kromer’s short set scheme which will hopefully quale the pressure up the middle that Cutler has faced since arriving in Chicago.

3. Jon Bostic…with Urlacher leaving there is a hole in the middle of the D that could be filled by DJ Williams but in all honesty it would be great if Bostic could beat him out from day one and become the long term leader of the D…if he can have a quality camp he will not only win a starting role but also the respect of the veterans around him.

4. Fendi Onobun…Onobun was impressive during OTAs…he has the size and athletic ability to be mismatch in the passing game…his biggest issue has always been his lack of physicality stemming from his basketball days…when the pads go on if Onobun can continue to impress he could have a big role in this offence given that Trestman’s scheme will target the middle of the field…Martellus Bennett is a do it all TE and Steve Maneri is a blocking complement but if Onobun can provide enough in the passing game as a complement to Bennett this offence could be extremely explosive.

5. Brandon Hardin…Hardin was drafted because of his size and athletic ability allows him to match up with the types of TEs we are seeing around the league this season…has an opportunity to earn plenty of reps from the NB spot when we come up against the likes of Finley or Rudolph…hopefully in his lost season he has improved his tackling technique and learned the playbook to a level where he can surprise many around the league by having a big year…most importantly he has to get out of camp and preseason healthy.

Everything I've heard about Bostic so far is that the team is REALLY impressed with him so far. If he can step in right away and fill the void at MLB instead of needing to go the 1-year patch route with Williams that would be HUGE.


With the DL of the Bears have in front of the MLB and with Briggs beside him I could see Bostic being the Bears starting MLB. All he has to do is play fast and flow to the ball.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 23230
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I disagree with Trestman on…no tackling at camp?...I get that we need to keep everyone safe and healthy but tackling is a key aspect of football that has to be practiced to be kept at a high level…not practicing proper tackling technique will be more dangerous down the road than doing it in a controlled environment…a pad can’t replicate a player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 10309
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
First thing I disagree with Trestman on…no tackling at camp?...I get that we need to keep everyone safe and healthy but tackling is a key aspect of football that has to be practiced to be kept at a high level…not practicing proper tackling technique will be more dangerous down the road than doing it in a controlled environment…a pad can’t replicate a player.


I don't think teams do a lot of tackling drills anymore and I am sure that some sessions will be full go.

But Trestman views his skill positions players as Formula 1 Cars he is going to protect them as much as he can. I think he is going to trust that the defenders can tackle.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 8044
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Pinky wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Having played briefly for Trestman I have 2 pieces of advice for the bears.

1. Get ready to run.

2. Get use to the air horn.


Wait...what?!


I was a 2nd round pick of the Alouettes in 2007 and was in camp with Trestman for 2 months in 2008 before being traded to Winnipeg.

My dorm room was right across the hall from him so we spoke a decent amount during camp.

This guy is professional and detail oriented and there will not be 1 moment of wasted time. Trestman is going to win these guys over quickly because he cares about making sure that they are fresh and prepared.
Just listening to Marshall makes me think he already has won them over.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 2 of 32

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group