Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bengals sign DE Carlos Dunlap to six-year, $40M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
Interesting to see that Dunlap is talking about keeping MJ, him and Geno together and it is the players goals to do so. You think MJ would ever consider taking less money to stick around?

I think he might but the issue is for him to be willing to take less money he'd have to sign before he hit the open market. Because once he hits the open market and actually receives these concrete offers that show how much more money he can make, I'm unsure he'll come back.

And the unfortunate thing is it seems very unlikely that he's gonna sign a deal before he becomes a free agent. Still it's good to see us lock up Dunlap, we have Gilberry, Geathers and Hunt even without MJ. I think a key will be developing Margus. He needs to be seeing 15 snaps situationally a game if we are worried about MJ93 leaving.

Agreed. Does anyone know whats going on with Dontay Moch? I'm still patiently waiting for us to unleash him. Last i heard he was bulking up to 270 to play end. I really don't hope we cut him but we have tons of depth at both end and LB.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
Surprised that hes getting that much honestly. Johnson is better than Dunlap right now, but later the bengals basically believe Dunlap will be even better later on. 40 million is alot, but he should be worth it in the long run though.

Joe Reedy said this would be michael johnson's last year, but I wonder if the bengals will consider using the franchise tag on him again next season (Assuming Atkins is already given an extension)

I disagree. I think MJ93's success was largely driven by all the attention Atkins and Dunlap received. MJ rarely got a double team. It was common place for the other two.

That is a valid point, because even wallace gilberry managed to get alot of sacks too, when taking some snaps in place of michael johnson. Michael Johnson career wise is a bit inconsistent. But I think hes gonna get better and better. The biggest difference is he doesnt create turnovers that dunlap. Other than that though, I honestly view Michael Johnson as a top 100 player right now. But if hes asking for too much money, then I understand the point to not resigning him, because someone will overpay him. And the drafting of margus hunt was the insurance policy in place anyway if they couldnt resign him, and i dont wanna see hunt as a backup on this team either
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
Surprised that hes getting that much honestly. Johnson is better than Dunlap right now, but later the bengals basically believe Dunlap will be even better later on. 40 million is alot, but he should be worth it in the long run though.

Joe Reedy said this would be michael johnson's last year, but I wonder if the bengals will consider using the franchise tag on him again next season (Assuming Atkins is already given an extension)

This actually looks dangerously like some pretty smart financial planning by the FO.

Give MJ a big 1-year franchise deal realising they can't afford everybody; (draft his eventual replacement in Hunt); and get ready to pay Geno, AJ and maybe Dalton next year.

Well it makes sense that they were worried about not getting him back, so thats why they drafted margus hunt. If for whatever reason michael johnson has a bad season where his production goes down, then the bengals could get him back cheaper if he would consider it.

Either way though, the good news is they wont lose BOTH dunlap and johnson.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
Interesting to see that Dunlap is talking about keeping MJ, him and Geno together and it is the players goals to do so. You think MJ would ever consider taking less money to stick around?

I think he might but the issue is for him to be willing to take less money he'd have to sign before he hit the open market. Because once he hits the open market and actually receives these concrete offers that show how much more money he can make, I'm unsure he'll come back.

And the unfortunate thing is it seems very unlikely that he's gonna sign a deal before he becomes a free agent. Still it's good to see us lock up Dunlap, we have Gilberry, Geathers and Hunt even without MJ. I think a key will be developing Margus. He needs to be seeing 15 snaps situationally a game if we are worried about MJ93 leaving.

I think we all know, the biggest factor will be injuries. Always is. We stayed pretty healthy last year, but all of a sudden, you lose a couple of guys you get ordinary pretty quickly.

There's a lot of football to be played between now and next March. Who knows what will happen ?

I'd really love to see Zim run some of that 'Giants' 5 x DE "meet you at the QB" set on 3rd down next year. imagine Roethlisburger staring over at Dunlap, Johnson, Geathers, Hunt and Gilberry/Geno growling at him.

That'd be incredible to watch.......
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:

Its possible.

I think those D-linemen genuinely like Zim and their coaches, they're getting paid, hopefully at least a play-off win etc etc. Those guys know they're in a good spot right now. Why move someplace else?

MJ may end up taking a Dunlap like deal to stay around.

I for one don't by any means think its certain that MJ walks next off-season.
Carson4MVP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the conversation with Michael Johnson went something like this... We want to sign you long term, here is our contract offer. He rebuffed and they turned around and offered Carlos Dunlap the same deal and he accepted.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carson4MVP wrote:
I think the conversation with Michael Johnson went something like this... We want to sign you long term, here is our contract offer. He rebuffed and they turned around and offered Carlos Dunlap the same deal and he accepted.

Same as i posted on page 2, they pulled an Antonio Brown with Dunlap.
Tom Brady Tribute
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
I'm betting they offered this deal to MJ, and he turned it down. So it went to Dunlap instead. .

sounds remarkably similar to what went on with Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace.

I won't be sorry to see Johnson go. Dude tears us to shreds everytime we play.
Spartan300

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love MJ but he's replaceable at the end of the day. Any DE playing with Geno and Dunlap will benefit from 1 on 1 match ups. We need Geno locked up long term, he's one of the best players in the league and the anchor to the defense. After Geno gets paid, we need to lock up Green long term.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: