Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Lions Cap Situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're better off seeing what we have in Fox before thinking about signing Winston.

Lloyd sounds like a headache to me so I'd pass on him.

At this point should just see what Lewis and Whitehead offer at LB before adding there. I think any signing now will come prior to the season if the Lions realize they're worse off than they thought at a position.

Seems like right now they're pretty content with where they stand in comparison to who is out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Roll it over into next year so we can resign Suh easier.

I literally just learned that this is a new thing in the CBA, like, two weeks ago. While I do think we could really use another linebacker to fill Durant's shoes, I think it's also pretty wise to consider Suh's backbreaking $21.41 cap hit scheduled for 2014. There is absolutely no way we can keep that on the books as it is even if we do roll over the $7 million, but it sure as hell won't hurt.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:

I literally just learned that this is a new thing in the CBA, like, two weeks ago. While I do think we could really use another linebacker to fill Durant's shoes, I think it's also pretty wise to consider Suh's backbreaking $21.41 cap hit scheduled for 2014. There is absolutely no way we can keep that on the books as it is even if we do roll over the $7 million, but it sure as hell won't hurt.

It's not new, is it? If I save 4 million under the cap this year, I'll have this 4 million plus whatever comes off the books next year.

If it is, joke's on me!
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:

It's not new, is it? If I save 4 million under the cap this year, I'll have this 4 million plus whatever comes off the books next year.

If it is, joke's on me!

It is new. I believe they included a cap floor and this allowance for carry over in the new agreement.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:

If it is, joke's on me!

New as of 2011, yeah. It used to be that teams with payrolls well below the cap could be rightly criticized for underspending since the leftover money would just go to the owners' coffers, but now you can carry over unspent cap money into future seasons.

I don't know how I feel about it, really. Ostensibly there are teams who could underspend by like $10 million a year for four years so they can land a mega free agent and sit $40 million above the supposed cap for a season, but on the other hand it should help prevent overspending and therefore keep free agent contract demands down, but I suppose we'll have to see how it plays out.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:

If it is, joke's on me!

New as of 2011, yeah. It used to be that teams with payrolls well below the cap could be rightly criticized for underspending since the leftover money would just go to the owners' coffers, but now you can carry over unspent cap money into future seasons.

I don't know how I feel about it, really. Ostensibly there are teams who could underspend by like $10 million a year for four years so they can land a mega free agent and sit $40 million above the supposed cap for a season, but on the other hand it should help prevent overspending and therefore keep free agent contract demands down, but I suppose we'll have to see how it plays out.

Ah, with the cap floor, I get it. I suppose that makes sense.
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honalulufan20 wrote:
I feel like Eric Winston would be a good signing. Could come in and play RT right away.

On the other hand restructuring a players deal to spend more money this year to free up cap space this next off-season may also be wise.

dont really see the need to do that as unused cap space can now be carried over from season to season/
stafford=legend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either target a quality, starting-caliber lineman or a linebacker to start in place of Durant. If they're going to spend it, that is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see the need to add a LB. We play with 2 LB's for the majority of our snaps, and the 3rd LB typically plays only in run or goaline situations and I feel like Ashlee Palmer can hold his own in run situations.

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
spurlock84

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone its been a minute for me but this is a great topic, The Lions already have there 90 players set for training camp, I think the Lions should start scratching the surface in restructuring Suh, Eventually like we all know that deal has to get done before next year and i think it will with the success we have on the field. Pettigrew on the other hand is a guy that we have to let him play out the contract and then make a decision, he has dropped too many passes to get paid big money, although he is a great blocking TE, the Lions drafted Michael Williams from Alabama for that role, the Lions are putting the pressure on pettigrew....the only other player that we need to lock up long term at this point is Fairley, but even he has had his injury problems and isnt a year away until i think that happens.

So do we let the cap room stay or try to upgrade in any way?

I think at this point in free agency if the Lions thought there was a player that could help them that was still unsigned they would have made that move. So i dont think you will see us signing a brandon lloyd or Eric Winston ( Maybe when we get into the preseason * Injuries* Lack of good play by Fox/Hilliard)

But with this cap room it makes up PRIME CANDIDATES to be able to pick up some good players that teams cut during training camp. Many receivers and good players get cut.

Or via trade we could take on a decent contract, that is my question to you guys..... Who are some potential trade candidates for the Lions to target?????????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: