Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos Suspend Russell, Heckert for DUIs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Broncos Suspend Russell, Heckert for DUIs Reply with quote

Per Mike Klis of the Denver Post:

Mike Klis wrote:
The Broncos have suspended Matt Russell indefinitely without pay and Tom Heckert is suspended one month without pay

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23663809/broncos-dui-arrests-lead-suspensions-matt-russell-tom

I think these are adequate given the nature of the offenses.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
bobdevine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that the Broncos suspended them, the NFL doesn't plan any additional penalties.

ESPN reporter Ed Werder:
Quote:
The NFL does not intend to further discipline Broncos executives Matt Russell and Tom Heckert, who trail John Elway in chain of command

https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn

But, there is a league ruling for team conduct that might kick in. Roughly, a fine is assessed based on the number of the team that get into legal problems.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video interview with Joe Ellis and John Elway on the suspensions:
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Ellis-Elway-Explain-Suspensions-and-Next-Steps/4755eb16-8c12-4a7f-b5ad-64a03a3ab2e1
Reaver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
Video interview with Joe Ellis and John Elway on the suspensions:
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Ellis-Elway-Explain-Suspensions-and-Next-Steps/4755eb16-8c12-4a7f-b5ad-64a03a3ab2e1

I appreciate the "transparency" shown here.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dislike of Darren McKee, aka "D-Mac" on 104.3 The Fan, is well known. But the other day he made some absolutely asinine remarks, even for him, regarding the Russell and Heckert situations.

His basic contention was that the Broncos should have kept Brian Xanders as the second-in-command to Elway, never promoted Russell from Director of College Scouting to Director of Player Personnel, and never hired Heckert in the first place. His reasoning? Xanders is a nice a guy, a workaholic and would never get into this kind of trouble. Forget the hypocrisy for a second - I've seen D-Mac knee-walking drunk before - should that (being a nice guy who works hard) be the sole qualification for working in Elway's front office?

Yes Brian Xanders is a very nice man and he certainly puts in plenty of time and effort and takes his job seriously. However, he (along with Joe Ellis) sat in the back seat with a clenched jaw as Mac drove the Broncos' car off a cliff. He obviously did not distinguish himself in Elway's view to be retained in any capacity in the FO. Russell and Heckert on the other hand, seem to have a pretty good track record at doing their jobs.

D-Mac went on to praise Xanders for drafting Thomas, Decker, Beadles and Walton. From what I understand, and from what Ellis and the Broncos PR team told us from the day Mac was fired, was that Mac made the personnel decisions. Of course they sang a different tune during Mac's tenure (stating that he and Xanders were a team) but I think we all know the truth, PR strategies post-McDisaster not withstanding. What else we know is that Xanders never distinguished himself to Elway the way Russell did and that Xanders was known as something of a yes-man.

The last thing I am going to do is make excuses to try to minimize the outside-the-office mistakes that Russell and Heckert have made. But they are paying dearly for them; both are losing sizable sums of money and have been publicly humiliated. They're going to straighten themselves out and come back to work.

While I believe the lion's share of the credit for outstanding work of the Broncos front office the last three years belongs to Elway , it's clear that Russell has been a part of that success and that Xanders was deemed expendable. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd prefer we have people who are good at their jobs in the front office than people who are just nice guys.

What's say you?

lomaxgr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you want a balance really. Of course you want people who are good at their jobs, but they also have to be the right person away from their job too.

The same applies for players, *cough* Brandon Marshall.

MUFC OK
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
My dislike of Darren McKee, aka "D-Mac" on 104.3 The Fan, is well known. But the other day he made some absolutely asinine remarks, even for him, regarding the Russell and Heckert situations.

His basic contention was that the Broncos should have kept Brian Xanders as the second-in-command to Elway, never promoted Russell from Director of College Scouting to Director of Player Personnel, and never hired Heckert in the first place. His reasoning? Xanders is a nice a guy, a workaholic and would never get into this kind of trouble. Forget the hypocrisy for a second - I've seen D-Mac knee-walking drunk before - should that (being a nice guy who works hard) be the sole qualification for working in Elway's front office?

Yes Brian Xanders is a very nice man and he certainly puts in plenty of time and effort and takes his job seriously. However, he (along with Joe Ellis) sat in the back seat with a clenched jaw as Mac drove the Broncos' car off a cliff. He obviously did not distinguish himself in Elway's view to be retained in any capacity in the FO. Russell and Heckert on the other hand, seem to have a pretty good track record at doing their jobs.

D-Mac went on to praise Xanders for drafting Thomas, Decker, Beadles and Walton. From what I understand, and from what Ellis and the Broncos PR team told us from the day Mac was fired, was that Mac made the personnel decisions. Of course they sang a different tune during Mac's tenure (stating that he and Xanders were a team) but I think we all know the truth, PR strategies post-McDisaster not withstanding. What else we know is that Xanders never distinguished himself to Elway the way Russell did and that Xanders was known as something of a yes-man.

The last thing I am going to do is make excuses to try to minimize the outside-the-office mistakes that Russell and Heckert have made. But they are paying dearly for them; both are losing sizable sums of money and have been publicly humiliated. They're going to straighten themselves out and come back to work.

While I believe the lion's share of the credit for outstanding work of the Broncos front office the last three years belongs to Elway , it's clear that Russell has been a part of that success and that Xanders was deemed expendable. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd prefer we have people who are good at their jobs in the front office than people who are just nice guys.

What's say you?

How can you go on and say Xanders was a "yes-man" to Mac but fault him for "sitting in the back seat" when the team went backwards during Mac's tenure? Thats quite a contradiction.

You said it yourself. Xanders was 2nd in command. Who's to say he didnt stand up to Mac when he was making stupid mistake after stupid mistake? You dont know. Nobody does. What we do know is that Xanders didnt have final say and any suggestion he brought up ultimately went to McDaniels approval, whether Xanders fought hard or not. I dont know if you truthfully understand that. Mac held "the trump card".

I believe Xanders was brought in to assist Mac in running the personnel department, not run it. After all, Mac only knew coaching, he needed help on the personnel side. AAA, You can blame it on Joe Ellis and Xanders all you want. The fault lies on 2 people, Josh McDaniels and Pat Bowlen. Bowlen ultimately ok'd the hiring and McDaniels ran the circus.

I dont fault Xanders for anything in Denver. From all the reports, he was as hard a working guy and could evaluate talent well. I dont blame him for the Mac issues. He had no final say so his powers from the beginning were always behind Mac.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
My dislike of Darren McKee, aka "D-Mac" on 104.3 The Fan, is well known.

Sports radio has changed from in-depth sports/news to wacky fools who will do anything for the attention/ratings. For example, this is D-Mac's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9qC3h8uXnk

I didn't think that the Broncos would fire either offender. The team's first step was to make a clear separation. I think there will be a second step before the regular season.

Good personnel folks are hard to find. Hiring another team's cast-off is very risky. If I were in Elway's shoes, I'd look to hire an experienced personnel manager from another industry, maybe a college's AD.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
How can you go on and say Xanders was a "yes-man" to Mac but fault him for "sitting in the back seat" when the team went backwards during Mac's tenure? Thats quite a contradiction.

You said it yourself. Xanders was 2nd in command. Who's to say he didnt stand up to Mac when he was making stupid mistake after stupid mistake? You dont know. Nobody does. What we do know is that Xanders didnt have final say and any suggestion he brought up ultimately went to McDaniels approval, whether Xanders fought hard or not. I dont know if you truthfully understand that. Mac held "the trump card".

I believe Xanders was brought in to assist Mac in running the personnel department, not run it. After all, Mac only knew coaching, he needed help on the personnel side. AAA, You can blame it on Joe Ellis and Xanders all you want. The fault lies on 2 people, Josh McDaniels and Pat Bowlen. Bowlen ultimately ok'd the hiring and McDaniels ran the circus.

I dont fault Xanders for anything in Denver. From all the reports, he was as hard a working guy and could evaluate talent well. I dont blame him for the Mac issues. He had no final say so his powers from the beginning were always behind Mac.

I don't think it's contradictory. And I agree with your take on Xanders' role - he was second in command but it's kind of known amongst media types that he was a yes-man and obviously wasn't vocal at the times he disagreed with Mac, if he ever did.

Bowlen hasn't been able to run the team for several years now. Ellis has been the de facto leader for the better part of 5 years now. It was Ellis who convinced Bowlen to fire Shanahan with the reason largely being to consolidate Ellis' control over the organization. With a very powerful and widely-respected voice like Mike's it would be impossible for a business man and football neophyte to gain any real power. And it was Ellis who interviewed Mac, twice, came away impressed and made the decision to hire him; Bowlen simply signed off on the move, deferring to Ellis' judgement.

To Ellis' credit, after Mac proved to be a complete and utter disaster, they ditched him and Ellis turned over control of the football side of things to Elway, who not only commanded instant respect but has proven to be astonishingly adept at his job.

JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

I don't think it's contradictory. And I agree with your take on Xanders' role - he was second in command but it's kind of known amongst media types that he was a yes-man and obviously wasn't vocal at the times he disagreed with Mac, if he ever did.

Bowlen hasn't been able to run the team for several years now. Ellis has been the de facto leader for the better part of 5 years now. It was Ellis who convinced Bowlen to fire Shanahan with the reason largely being to consolidate Ellis' control over the organization. With a very powerful and widely-respected voice like Mike's it would be impossible for a business man and football neophyte to gain any real power. And it was Ellis who interviewed Mac, twice, came away impressed and made the decision to hire him; Bowlen simply signed off on the move, deferring to Ellis' judgement.

To Ellis' credit, after Mac proved to be a complete and utter disaster, they ditched him and Ellis turned over control of the football side of things to Elway, who not only commanded instant respect but has proven to be astonishingly adept at his job.

Ellis wasnt the only one to let Shanny go. It was his time. Many were pulling for it as well. He was disappointing for a few years.

The way your post came across, it made it sound like you were pointing the finger at Xanders, for his actions alongside Mac. I have never felt Xanders did anything wrong in his tenure here. He was given no power from the start and therefore shouldnt carry much blame.

Also, if Ellis is your "fall guy" then so be it. I honestly dont care. If he "convinced" Bowlen to fire Shanny and hire Mac, then of course he should have lost his football powers. No matter what, hes still a very powerful and successful businessman. The business side of the Broncos has improved greatly over the last 5 years.

I still believe Mac and Bowlen carry the final blame. I dont doubt it for a second too that Bowlen sat in on the hiring meetings with Mac.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Heckert's suspension is over this week.

With the new contracts already negotiated without him around, I wonder what role Heckert will now perform in the front office. There are contracts to look at for several veterans but will Elway trust Heckert on them?
BroncsDominate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:

With the new contracts already negotiated without him around, I wonder what role Heckert will now perform in the front office. There are contracts to look at for several veterans but will Elway trust Heckert on them?

I dont think Heckert's job is to negotiate contracts, thats Sullivans job. As I understand Heckerts job is scouting talent.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:

Heckert is the director of pro personnel, I believe. His role has nothing to do with contract negotiations to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks, Tzimisce
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncsDominate wrote:
I dont think Heckert's job is to negotiate contracts, thats Sullivans job. As I understand Heckerts job is scouting talent.

broncos67 wrote:
Heckert is the director of pro personnel, I believe. His role has nothing to do with contract negotiations to the best of my knowledge.

I was unclear. I meant that Heckert has been away for a month and somebody else (probably several somebodies) filled in on talent evaluation for contracts.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

Correct. Elway and Sullivan handle the contract negotiations. Hecket's just is to run the pro scouting group, both the ones looking for potential talent that could be acquired via waivers or free agency as well as the advance scouting of future opponents.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: