Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Network's Top 100: Calvin Johnson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
GL with second place Cool

Who finished in second place? AD was first in both MVP and OPOY voting.

Team Stylish
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
GL with second place Cool

Who finished in second place? AD was first in both MVP and OPOY voting.

It's hard to win those awards when your team goes 4-12...

IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterson's season was more impressive to me. He only missed the record by 9 yards on 30 fewer carries than Dickerson. He scored more TD's, was basically the entire Minnesota offense and dragged a sub par team into the Playoffs on his back. All while coming off a serious injury.

What Calvin did was great, anytime you break a historic record you've had a phenomenal season. If he would have had at least 10 TD's I would consider debating it but even then, Peterson carried that Minnesota team on his back into the Playoffs and on paper before the season started that team looked like a lock to have a Top 5 Pick. Peterson's season was just more impressive to me.

Both were historically great seasons IMO and I consider Calvin and Peterson to be the two best non-QB players in the NFL.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
fortdetroit wrote:
I think AP had the better year but still, here is something to add to the mix when considering his season in historical terms.

Going by YPC, 2012 was literally the easiest year in NFL history when it came to running the ball. No single season in NFL history (since 1932!) has had a higher YPC average than 2012 (2011 was equal).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/rushing.htm

I think as teams build their defenses first and foremost to stop the pass (both personnel and play calling wise) their ability to defend the run has declined. It's simply easier to pass the ball AND to run the ball in today's NFL than it ever was.

Don't really see how this affects AP. Teams played the Vikings with the intent to stop the run. AP had volume AND efficiency.

Huh? It affects every team in the NFL. Teams are built PERSONNEL wise to stop the pass. Linebackers are valued for their pass coverage ability now more than ever before, as opposed to their run stopping ability. Teams who bring in defensive personnel to stop the pass (aka basically the entire league) are less able to defend the run with those types of players.

Quick and agile with the ability to pass cover has replaced bulky, strong, and being a downhill run stopper.
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
USNinc wrote:

I guess you didn't really read my post.
I said the factor was the record.
9 yards...If it wasn't a big deal then why didn't he get it?

CJ got the record.

...Because AP's last run got his team into scoring position and they immediately kicked a FG to seal the game?

Should the Vikings have instead let AP run the ball a few more times to get the record instead of winning?

diehardlionfan wrote:
I find this quite humorous.

I don't care if CJ gets 3,000 yards. Scoring and wins are more important than bulk yards. Until he can find the end zone and his team wins more than four games I really don't care how many yards he gets.

Personally I would rather have CJ put up seasons like he had in 2011. 1681 yards and 16 scores is more impressive and more valuable to the Lions.

This guy gets it.

I can't believe the logic of some in this thread. Say CJ could have gotten 1,200 yards instead of breaking the record, but instead got a touchdown in every game they lost by a score or less. You're saying you'd take him breaking the record? What?

Interesting side note: The Lions scored 50 total TDs in 2011 and 39 in 2012. CJ's drop in scores was the difference.

Not the only difference. The defense had a bunch more turnovers in 2011 which led to easier scores for the offense. Also, in 2011 they had 7 defensive TDs and in 2012 they 0 defensive TDs.

I'd say that's your difference quite honestly.
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdetroit wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:
USNinc wrote:

I guess you didn't really read my post.
I said the factor was the record.
9 yards...If it wasn't a big deal then why didn't he get it?

CJ got the record.

...Because AP's last run got his team into scoring position and they immediately kicked a FG to seal the game?

Should the Vikings have instead let AP run the ball a few more times to get the record instead of winning?

diehardlionfan wrote:
I find this quite humorous.

I don't care if CJ gets 3,000 yards. Scoring and wins are more important than bulk yards. Until he can find the end zone and his team wins more than four games I really don't care how many yards he gets.

Personally I would rather have CJ put up seasons like he had in 2011. 1681 yards and 16 scores is more impressive and more valuable to the Lions.

This guy gets it.

I can't believe the logic of some in this thread. Say CJ could have gotten 1,200 yards instead of breaking the record, but instead got a touchdown in every game they lost by a score or less. You're saying you'd take him breaking the record? What?

Interesting side note: The Lions scored 50 total TDs in 2011 and 39 in 2012. CJ's drop in scores was the difference.

Not the only difference. The defense had a bunch more turnovers in 2011 which led to easier scores for the offense. Also, in 2011 they had 7 defensive TDs and in 2012 they 0 defensive TDs.

I'd say that's your difference quite honestly.

I added up rushing and passing touchdowns for that figure. I didn't include defensive touchdowns.

So Mark Sanchez was a better player last season than Russel Wilson?

Depends on what you are looking for. Breaking down defenses I would take Sanchez no doubt.
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ got the record yes, but the lack of scores brings down the value of the season. Spectacular season and much better than most on FF rate it as but Adrian was more I.pressive. I would say though that had CJ had at least 10 scores, his season would win hands down IMO.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
CJ got the record yes, but the lack of scores brings down the value of the season. Spectacular season and much better than most on FF rate it as but Adrian was more I.pressive. I would say though that had CJ had at least 10 scores, his season would win hands down IMO.

If he had 10 scores our season would have been different likely with a better record. We lost a lot of close games and down the stretch, looked disinterested. A few wins early would have changed a lot of that IMO.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

If he had 10 scores our season would have been different likely with a better record. We lost a lot of close games and down the stretch, looked disinterested. A few wins early would have changed a lot of that IMO.

I dont think it was early in the year that would have made the biggest difference. I think the biggest difference would have came in the few games after we were 4-4 where we lost quite a few very close games in a row then finished out the season losing. I could be wrong but I think that was actually CJs best few games statistically but there was a lot of oppurtunities that were left on the field in that stretch.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

I dont think it was early in the year that would have made the biggest difference. I think the biggest difference would have came in the few games after we were 4-4 where we lost quite a few very close games in a row then finished out the season losing. I could be wrong but I think that was actually CJs best few games statistically but there was a lot of oppurtunities that were left on the field in that stretch.

There were opportunities. I can't remember exactly but Stafford missed CJ wide open deep on about 7 occasions the first half of the season.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:

There were opportunities. I can't remember exactly but Stafford missed CJ wide open deep on about 7 occasions the first half of the season.

There were defin8tely oppurtunities missed throughout the year but the stretch of 4 or 5 games after 4-4 was brutal for how close those games were. I think losing the 3 or 4 games in a row by 7 or less points killed em.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: