Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kennan calling... London answering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Kennan calling... London answering Reply with quote

http://sonofwashington.com/2013/07/15/keenan-calling-london-answering/#comment-5505

Good blog post here by Evan Redmon which speaks to London Fletcher, how he's lost a step but still a great leader and has forgotten more about ILBs than our young ILBs know. how Fletch has played in 240 consecutice games and Robinson coulsnt make it through 11 playing only on passing downs. Then Keenan Robinson and how he should be used more and more on passing downs throughout the season because London and Riley were bad last year vs TEs ends. (some of that is because we places some of the best TEs in the NFL though)

Anyways, I think they should take the approach that London continues to start, Robinson plays passing downs and learns more and more. That way, next year Robinson should be ready to start.[/list]

Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Title's actually London answering, but....

Yep. That's what we were hoping for when they drafted him.

Good Read. Thanks

Quote:
Robinson ran a 4.69 40-yard dash at the combine

Quote:
Any team on the Redskins schedule with a “joker” TE on their roster is going to draw up 10-20 plays to put Fletcher in a coverage position.
: The new NFL landscape
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Title's actually London answering, but....

Yep. That's what we were hoping for when they drafted him.

Good Read. Thanks

Quote:
Robinson ran a 4.69 40-yard dash at the combine

Quote:
Any team on the Redskins schedule with a “joker” TE on their roster is going to draw up 10-20 plays to put Fletcher in a coverage position.
: The new NFL landscape
Ahh. Thanks. I'll change that. Laughing

Just sounds better London Calling. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm neutral on London coming back.. He's all heart I understand that but 38, ankle surgery etc.. Fair size salary cap hit in our struggle to stay under .. We can't cut him if he wants to play-- we owe him a lot of thanks..but kinda hoping he'd do us the favor and retire.. He's been great but seems the time is here.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
I'm neutral on London coming back.. He's all heart I understand that but 38, ankle surgery etc.. Fair size salary cap hit in our struggle to stay under .. We can't cut him if he wants to play-- we owe him a lot of thanks..but kinda hoping he'd do us the favor and retire.. He's been great but seems the time is here.
I think we'll see him retire after this season. We have to make sure Robinson can be a full time player. Robinson hasn't shown he can make it through even 16 games healthy yet. I think if Robinson shows well this season in pass covergage again, he will get his chance next offseason to win the job, but I fully expect us to draft someone and bring in competition for Robinson next year also.
DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
I think we'll see him retire after this season. We have to make sure Robinson can be a full time player. Robinson hasn't shown he can make it through even 16 games healthy yet. I think if Robinson shows well this season in pass covergage again, he will get his chance next offseason to win the job, but I fully expect us to draft someone and bring in competition for Robinson next year also.

I'm rather hoping that by the end of the year he is looking like our future starter and there is no need to use a High draft pick on ILB. We will still have Riley and there will always be Muckelroys for depth... We also will have the option of bringing in Free Agents again so that might be something to consider as his competition...

Be nice to see us able to use our first two picks at Least for BPA-- maybe CB/WR?... hey but if BPA is ILB so be it..
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I would love to look and see if we could somehow get Andrew Jackson from WKU. Hopefully he sits at the end of the 2nd round.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're out of Salary Cap Hell next year .. Maybe a decent dependable Free agent - short of elite and spirit / cap buster.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:

I'm rather hoping that by the end of the year he is looking like our future starter and there is no need to use a High draft pick on ILB. We will still have Riley and there will always be Muckelroys for depth... We also will have the option of bringing in Free Agents again so that might be something to consider as his competition...

Be nice to see us able to use our first two picks at Least for BPA-- maybe CB/WR?... hey but if BPA is ILB so be it..
Considering we only have one high draft pick this year, our 2nd rounder, I hope we don't feel the need to take an ILB that high either. I'm with you that I hope Robinson plays well enough in spot duty for Fletcher and that Robinson stays healthy this year and the team feels he can start next season. I meant competiton through the draft and in free agency.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Actually, I would love to look and see if we could somehow get Andrew Jackson from WKU. Hopefully he sits at the end of the 2nd round.
Same here. I think Jackson is going to be a great run stuffer. I worry about his pass defense, but a combination of Jackson and Robinson could be solid for us next to Riley.

My wish list for that position would go:

1. C.J. Mosely, Alabama
2. Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky
3. Shayne Skov, ILB/OLB, Stanford
4. Trey DePriest, ILB, Alabama
5. Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State
6. Lamin Barrow, ILB/OLB, LSU
7. Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
markrc99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote: "I'm neutral on London coming back.. He's all heart I understand that but 38, ankle surgery etc.. Fair size salary cap hit in our struggle to stay under .. We can't cut him if he wants to play-- we owe him a lot of thanks..but kinda hoping he'd do us the favor and retire.. He's been great but seems the time is here."

This is very well said, you draw it mild but recognize the cold reality. At this point what should we expect? At 38 is Fletcher going to be better, hold his own or is he on the decline? It's obvious where he's at but the fact is, he could do what he does for another 2 or 3 years! If he still gets to run free to the football & the ball keeps falling out of sky & into his lap & he keeps coming clean on the blitz, he might very well put up better numbers! So long as he's in complete control of the contact he's subject to, he definitely could play into his 40s. Now, if the Giants want the division back & if the Cowboys who have been chasing them, but have been leap-frogged by the Redskins, want to beat this team, exposing London Fletcher would be a key part of that. That means getting a hat on him, really popping him! When you get into him, finish it, pancake him! I seriously doubt the likelihood, but if they do start cracking him, it could get ugly looking. Here's the interesting part of the OP that wasn't cited:

"The Redskins ranked 27th (...) in TE coverage, which was one of the primary reasons they ranked 30th in pass yards allowed. Fletcher and his lost step were at the butt end of many dispiriting successes by opposing TEs."

See, we've heard so much about the big plays he supposedly made, but note that last sentence. On the "butt end of many dispiriting successes" suggests that he was beaten when the score was 30-0? No, Redmon is clearly intimating that it often occurred when it really mattered! He did say that Perry Riley also struggled and that they faced some of the better TEs, but when you're 27th that's not just the elite guys that are beating you. This is interesting, this one cites Mike Shanahan talking about Fletcher back in early March. He says a lot of good things but consider what else he says:
Quote:
“He talks of needing some time. And of course he’s earned that... One thing you have to do is, you’ve got to have a mindset that there’s no way you’re going to retire. Because if you’re thinking about retirement, you’re not really sure – at least when I look at my previous years, and you look back at guys – if you’re thinking about retiring, you’re probably already retired. ... [we’ve] got to have a game plan for if he does come back, if he doesn’t come back. You’re taking a look at your financial responsibilities, if you do have the hit that we may take. You just don’t know. So we’ve got a game plan for all scenarios..." http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/03/01/mike-shanahan-on-london-fletchers-future/

Not unlike your comment, it's subtle but pretty candid. Fletcher is telling him, I don't know & Shanahan is saying here, well my experience is such that, when you don't know, you're already done! Then in the same breathe he's making reference to the salary cap. Ha-ha. Others here are finally coming around and acknowledging that Fletcher is an early down vs run with the game still in the balance, player. He's a part-time player & you can have that guy for a lot less than $6.2M. Perry Riley, who's more than capable right now, is the one who'll line up their defense while Robinson will hopefully take over Fletcher's spot. He's loaded with upside, a guy who can cover, excellent range and serious blitz speed. Not a head-banger but their modern day Monte Coleman. A guy who could cover, blitz & mirror an elusive QB. I agree, if this team means anything to London Fletcher, he'd either take a serious pay cut or retire.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't disagree with most of what you said markrc99 and I said that before when we had discussions about Fletcher.

The thing is that Robinson isn't ready yet and he couldn't stay healthy for even his rookie year, so in my mind he can't be counted on just yet. When Robinson is ready and proves he will stay healthy, he'll play more. You can't just force something because a guy has upside over the current starter. No team ever makes such a move.

I fully believe that on this date next offseason we will be talking about Robinson as our projected starter and if Fletcher will ever get into the hall of fame.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: