Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The cap issue is back ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your starting QB works out well, then he's a guy that would likely take less to make the team better around him, also. He's not a greedy bastage, and has already made his fortune. Now, he just wants to be on a good team, and push hard for the SB.

Spotrac is a solid cap source, but another I am finding useful is this one:

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Chiefs&Year=2013

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah one thing I really liked that Alex said after he first got here was that he felt like he needed to earn a new contract. He said that when he was asked about if he'd be extended like Cassel was when we traded for him.

Loved that answer. Could have just tossed out the "I'll let my agent handle it" like 99% of NFL players but instead he pretty much said that he wanted a nice new contract, just only if he was deserving.

Man I really just can not wait for preseason to get here
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that was a lot of boni flung around there KC_Guy.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Mongo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC_Guy wrote:
We're getting to the core issue of the whole thing:

Obviously the current staff decided the Chiefs need to win NOW…

…One of the teams priority over the next years will be to maintain a somewhat competitive team (and thus the fan support) while working its way out of the cap quagmire they are in…

…The Chiefs need to be careful not to go down the Raiders way - thus I think (hope) cap considerations will play a more important role from next year. Right now they committed to a whole bunch of middle-of-the pack guys for the next two to three years without a real chance to cut them without ending up in a cap dilemma.

You make some valid points. One of the concerns I had with hiring Andy Reid in particular. At the end of his tenor in Philly, he got desperate and ignored the “Steeler-like” principals the Eagles followed that led to his early success. In the end, he was closer to Dan Snyder than Dan Rooney.

Did he learn his lesson? I don’t think so. Still, I don’t think they’ve dug too big a hole.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of Andy Rieds tenure in Philly and the end of it, I think he's in a much better situation now than he was towards the end of his Eagles stint. Now it seems like he is focusing a lot more on just coaching which he is one of the best in the league at. As long as Dorsey can bring us in strong draft classes I think we'll be set
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/kansas-city-chiefs-salary-cap-outlook-jamaal-charles-160438390.html

Interesting look at our cap situation.
samsel23

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys I've been working alot on our Cap Situation the past couple weeks. Keep in mind I don't pretend to be half as good as KC and KC feel free to correct me, as I don't mean to derail your thread. So I don't bore most of you I won't post my spreadsheet, but I'll include a link that is almost right on par with what I've came up with.

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Chiefs&Year=2013

Just under 4.5 Mil left for 2013. Not taking into account Eric Fisher's Contract.
We are fine Cap wise this year if we stand pat where we currently stand. Where we our hurting is 2014. How Dorsey/Reid handle 2014 will be key, as 2015 isn't nearly as bad.

This is where things get a little tricky. I currently have our Top 51 for 2014 making roughly 122.5 Mil. Keep in mind this with about 14 UDFA contracts and taking out our 2013 Dead Money. That leaves roughly 3.5 Mil for our Free Agents AND Draft Picks. I'm going to go through some guys, I believe the FO will target.

Main Targets to create space
QB- C. Daniels: Daniels signed a 3 year deal with a 3 Mil SB. He has a 1 Mil Guarentee in 2014 along with his Signing Bonus. Daniels future really depends on him and the development of Bray/Stanzi. If he were to be cut in 2014 we would only save 400k in 2014, but it also would open up 3.8 Mil to be pushed towards 2015.

WR- Jon Baldwin: I've said this offseason this is his make or break season. If he doesn't show significant improvement I could see him as an offseason cut next year. He is set to make just over 2 Mil, with only 1 Mil left as Dead Money for 2014. Saving us just over 1 Mil.

CB- Dunta Robinson: I've believed all along if he doesn't perform outstanding he was a 1 year signing. If cut in 2014 it will save us 3.35 Mil, along with 5.7 Mil to push towards 2015.

TE- Anthony Fasano: Fasano's contract can really go either way. He has a higher salary in 2014 to cancel out the Signing Bonus next year, but his salary does drop after 2014 if he does perform and we can squeeze his contract in for 2014. If he were to be cut in 2014 it would save us 1.55 Mil for 2015, along with 3.975 Mil for 2015.

DE- Mike DeVito: You can kind of tell I'm looking at our 2013 FA's contracts, but really all but a couple allow us to cut them in 2014 if they don't perform to the FO's liking. DeVito would save us 1.1 Mil in 2014, but his contract jumps considerably and would save us 4.9 Mil towards 2015 contracts.

WR- Donnie Avery: Contract is set up similar to Chase Daniels contract. Alot of what happens with Avery will most likely have to with his health, and the development of our other WR's. If he were to be cut in 2014 he would save 850k in 2014, along with 3.9 Mil towards 2015.

K- Ryan Succop: Succop's contract puzzled me the day I first saw the numbers, but the more you look at it the more it looks like the perfect deal. His signing bonus set up us to cut him if we were ever unhappy with his production. He would save us 1.6 Mil if cut in 2014, along with 3.2 Mil to push towards 2015.

I don't think all of these guys will be cut, but these are my top guys that are looking at the chopping block next year. These moves would open up an additional 8.75 Mil towards 2014 and a whopping 20.575 towards 2015.

Now I'm going to look at the top guys for extensions/renegotions.

QB- Alex Smith: Smith's Guarenteed money ends after 2013. Which means he is fair game for an extension in 2014. This actually works out perfectly for the Chiefs, as they are able to wait a year to extend him, but it also makes Smith eligible for a lower 2014 Base Salary and lets us push some money in the later years.

RB- Jamaal Charles: The only reason I'm listing Charles is to throw out the idea his guarenteed money ends after 2013, so he has no bonus's to add to an extension. Jamaal's contract is one of the most generous in the NFL, but if we do become extremely strapped for cash Charles could be signed to an extension. Who knows if Charles would take a lower 2014 salary if it meant making more money in the long run.

S- Eric Berry: With 2015 being a Voidable year, Berry has just over 5.8 Mil left in Guarentees left in 2014. We could sign him to an extension and offer more Guarentees in the long run, while lowering his 2014 Cap hit of 11.6 Mil.

OLB- Tamba Hali: Hali will have 6 Mil. left on his Signing Bonus after the 2013 season. Aside from A. Smith, this is the main target I see our FO going after. We could cut him after 2013 and save 5.5 Mil, but I don't think our FO would get rid of one of our main locker room guys. I could see us pushing that left over Signing Bonus towards an extension. We could offer him a 2-3 year extension and offer some more Guarentees, while lower his 2014 Cap Hit.

ILB- Derrick Johnson: Like Jamaal the only reason I'm listing him is because his guarentees end after the 2013 season. DJ is only set to make around 4.2 Mil in 2014 which like Jamaal is a steal, but also like Jamaal if we do become strapped for Cap we could extend him and offer more Guarentees in the the coming years, while lowering his 2014 Cap Hit some.

2013 Top Free Agents
OT Branden Albert
DE Tyson Jackson
OG Jon Asamoah
WR Dexter McCluster
S Kendrick Lewis

2014 Top Free Agents
QB Alex Smith
OLB Justin Houston
OC Rodney Hudson

Recap
I know this was kind of wordy, but I thought I'd put some numbers into actual words. While our 2014 Cap looks terrible(it really does), we do have quite a few options available. If we were to do half of these moves, I could see us opening up 15-20 Mil for 2014 and a bunch to put towards the 2015 season. The 2015 Cap is where I'm really interested because we can also push our FA's contracts and Extensions into the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

Hope this helped or was halfway entertaining Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsel it's certainly interesting. I think an area we could see them jump ahead is looking to lock up someone like Houston long term. I think Tamba honestly is going to be playing for his position this season, if he declines, I could see them saying take less, or we'll have to cut you and draft another edge rusher to pair with JH50. (Either way we have to start considering this)

I honestly could see Baldwin gone before THIS season if he doesn't show up, though that puts us in an even bigger bind at WR.

I said it when we signed Daniels, I think he's this year's insurance. If Smith gets hurt (could happen) we see what we have in Daniels, if not we're looking to draft a guy either way next year in my opinion. Plus with not knowing how the draft (this year) would play out we picked up a back-up. We ended up signing Bray who I think could be a good long term back-up for MUCH cheaper than Daniels going forward. To make the team either Stanzi is going to have to dominate, or someone will need to get hurt in my opinion. This FO has NO link to him and whether it's lack of ability, or opportunity he has shown absolutely NOTHING at the NFL level. But you need 4 QBs for training camp so whatever.

I don't see us re-signing Lewis unless he breaks out, and even then it might be better to let him go and get the extra pick, as we know Reid is going to draft mid/late round DBs who will play. Plus we already drafted Cummings this year.

I think one thing you didn't look at was extending Albert. I think there is still a chance it happens, Albert just has to realize he isn't worth as much as he thought this year...and next year there will be even more LT's available.
Mongo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
one thing you didn't look at was extending Albert. I think there is still a chance it happens, Albert just has to realize he isn't worth as much as he thought this year...and next year there will be even more LT's available.

If Albert isn't extended before Monday, he won't be a Chief in 2014. They cannot sign him until the off-season. Then they'd have a short period to get it done before having to use the franchise tag a second time. The tag value would be far too large for the Chiefs to handle.

Their best shot might be to trade him to a team dealing with an injury before the trade deadline.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo I agree (yikes) it's gotta happen soon, but I read somewhere that talks were supposed to open back up today I thought...(can't remember where)

I agree if a legitimate contender loses their starting LT, it wouldn't shock me at all to see Brandon on the move early.
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Mongo I agree (yikes) it's gotta happen soon, but I read somewhere that talks were supposed to open back up today I thought...(can't remember where)

I agree if a legitimate contender loses their starting LT, it wouldn't shock me at all to see Brandon on the move early.

To clarify: Monday is the league deadline. He isn't allowed to sign after that.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure who you're clarifying for, thought it was clear when you said Monday the first time.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
DT58_lives_on wrote:

To clarify: Monday is the league deadline. He isn't allowed to sign after that.

Hmmppff .. sorry .. but ... my understanding - need to do more reading on this one ....

Brandon Albert is a KC Chief under a one year contract. As I understand the CBA he's free to sign (or not) an extension to that contract whenever he (and the organisation) wishes to do so.

The Monday deadline is relevant only for Franchise players who are NOT under contract - after that date THEY are not allowed to sign anything but their franchise tender.

So, July 15 does not have any meaning for the Albert/Chiefs situation.

However (disclaimer here) that is only true if a contract based on the one year franchise tag tender is considered a regular contract - not one with a special status ...
Mongo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right. Now I'm not so sure. Let's hope so.
Mongo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Chiefs and franchise player LT Branden Albert continue to discuss a long-term deal.
The Chiefs have yet to make a formal contract offer, so significant work still needs to be done for the two sides to come to an agreement. Albert has signed his franchise tender, so unlike Ryan Clady, he can't hold out. The Chiefs have some concern over the long-term health of Albert's back, but new coach Andy Reid and G.M. John Dorsey have been impressed with what they've seen. It's a situation to monitor as we approach Monday's deadline.

I'm not saying this is etched in stone, but Rotoworld acts as if Monday is the deadline for Albert as well as Clady.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: