Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Pittsburgh Pirate Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
94Timmons94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin Meadows made his pro debut today. He went 1-5 2R RBI 2K

Tyler Glasnow also took the mound tonight and had a fantastic start.

6IP 3H O ER 7K BB

Other notable performances of the day:

Michael De La Cruz(top LA signing last year) 4-4 3B 2R

Jin-De Jhang 2-3 2B BB RBI

Harold Ramirez 3-4 RBI

I really like how the pirates handle their international signings. They just seem to find alot of diamonds in the rough without spending to much on signing bonuses like teams such as the rangers, cubs etc.

eggybucsfan31 went hard on this on ^^^
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a rumor but Jim Bowden proposed that the Pirates and White Sox make a trade. He suggested OF Alex Rios and SS Alexei Ramirez for OF Greg Polanco, P Nick Kingham, and SS Jordy Mercer.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an intriguing trade. Not keen on Polanco leaving, but Rios AND Ramirez? Damn.

My problem... is can we afford them? Together, they'd make 24 million next year, then even more than following year. That's a lot to swallow; do we have the money?
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's beyond a horrible trade...shows why Bowden is no longer a GM.

A top 20 prospect in Polanco, top 100 guy in Kingham(projects as solid 2 in rotation/great 3) and Mercer who's shown ability to be an above avg every day SS for a solid player in Rios with a not so good contrac and a horrible contract in Rameriez who is declining.

Plus combined those 2 are automatically collecting roughly $24 mill next season.

A more fair deal would be Rios+ a few mill this season and next for Kingham and a solid guy like Duke Welker who can help in the bullpen starting this year.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't lose sleep over losing Mercer. But if they were to make this trade, it would prove they haven't changed one bit. Selling their 'future' for the right now that never happens.

To me, Mercer might be 'above average' but he isn't much above it. He's easily replaced imo.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
JPeezy55

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
I wouldn't lose sleep over losing Mercer. But if they were to make this trade, it would prove they haven't changed one bit. Selling their 'future' for the right now that never happens.

To me, Mercer might be 'above average' but he isn't much above it. He's easily replaced imo.

definitely replaceable, but moving 2 of your top 10 prospects for guys like Rios and Ramirez just doesn't work out.

And in other news.

El Toro is in the HR Derby!

Welcome to Sixburgh.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPeezy55 wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

definitely replaceable, but moving 2 of your top 10 prospects for guys like Rios and Ramirez just doesn't work out.

And in other news.

[b]El Toro is in the HR Derby![b/]

Yet another homer tonight. He's one of the streakiest hitters in baseball but when he is in the zone, like we have seen lately, he's one of the best power hitters in the game by far.

steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of booing I heard at the Park last night for Wright was awesome. I expect to hear more tonight.

I wanted Pedro to do something as a taunt to Wright, so badly; when he trotted passed him on his home run trot around the bases. Just a simple point or something to troll him for not choosing him in the first place.

Also, if that pathetic at-bat attempts in the 9th doesn't spark a fire under Huntingdon's rear end to go out and get a bat or two; I don't know what will.
94Timmons94

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taillon's start tonight was terrible to say the least. 10 ER.... Not what you want to see from your top prospect Confused

eggybucsfan31 went hard on this on ^^^
SteelProven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

94Timmons94 wrote:
Taillon's start tonight was terrible to say the least. 10 ER.... Not what you want to see from your top prospect Confused

It's gonna happen from time to time. But Tailon will have more good/great then bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wright is a joke and I don't even think he should be involved in the Home Run Derby, seriously, he has 13 HR's on the season..give me a break.

As for the game last night, Cole was very disappointing, we basically lost the game in the 1st inning. If they don't score 3 in the first inning we win 2-1.

On top of that, our bats have been cold as ice. Garrett Jones is 3-21 in his last 21 at bats..seriously? He's still on the field with that batting average? C'mon now... When people like Clint Barmes and Jordy Mercer are showing you up in the on base percentage category, there's a serious problem.

I'm hoping the All-Star break is what they need, perhaps this year, they'll play well after the all star break since they're not going into it playing great. One can only hope.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Last edited by wwhickok on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
Wright is a joke and I don't even think he should be involved in the Home Run Derby.

As for the game last night, Cole was very disappointing, we basically lost the game in the 1st inning. If they don't score 3 in the first inning we win 2-1.

On top of that, our bats have been cold as ice. Garrett Jones is 3-21 in his last 21 at bats..seriously? He's still on the field with that batting average? C'mon now... When people like Clint Barmes and Jordy Mercer are showing you up in the on base percentage category, there's a serious problem.

I'm hoping the All-Star break is what they need, perhaps this year, they'll play well after the all star break since they're not going into it playing great. One can only hope.

the Pirates desperately need another consistent bat. But the price either via players or salary make the decision a tough one. The Pirates have some young players in the farm system, but some of them won't be ready for another year or two. I don't think the Pirates have that long if they want to continue there push. The Pirates are probably a year away from really making some noise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
Wright is a joke and I don't even think he should be involved in the Home Run Derby.

the Pirates desperately need another consistent bat. But the price either via players or salary make the decision a tough one. The Pirates have some young players in the farm system, but some of them won't be ready for another year or two. I don't think the Pirates have that long if they want to continue there push. The Pirates are probably a year away from really making some noise.

Imo, they need to add Dominic Brown to their outfield, and to Pedro Alvarez. I don't actually think the Phillies would trade him but he's got close to as many HR's as Alvarez does (not sure of the exact #). My overall point is, you're right they need another consistent bat. But more so, they need another bat that can jack them over the wall. As good as McCutchen is, his biggest problem is that every time he's at bat, he is trying to jack one over the fence and he doesn't have the power Alvarez does. More often than not, McCutchen pops out or grounds out. When he does get on base he's a deadly base stealer, same with Marte. It's just actually getting them on base is what is difficult.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea they need a power bat moreso they need guys that can get on base.

Power is at a premium and you're going to pay for it.

Aoki from the Brewers would be nice...he'd cost a solid amount but is a perfect lead off guy with a high OBP, good speed and plays good D. Under contract through 2014...perfect bridge to Polanco.

Just taking a guess but I think it would take something to the effect am/Glasnow, Pimintel and a lower class high upside type...like a Harold Ramirez or Barrett Barnes.

That's roughly the #4 or 5 guy in the system...a 4th-5thSP type in Pimintel and a lottery ticket...it might take more.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a frustrating game! Another terrible first inning with no timely hitting and poor fielding and they get in a four run hole just like that. They clawed their way back only to let a big chance slip by. A golden opportunity to tie the game in the ninth with runners at first and third with NO outs and couldn't score. Poor managing as well I thought by Hurdle in the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 13 of 24

Jump to: