Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How long until we are back into contention?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When will the Jets be back in the playoffs?
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
36%
 36%  [ 18 ]
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
2017+
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 49

green24

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
Yeah I really don't see the Jets contending this year. Hopefully Geno shows a lot though and if the Jets pick high instead of going for a QB they can grab someone like Marquise Lee.

I would prefer drafting a pass rusher or ASJ, if we go offense.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
Yeah I really don't see the Jets contending this year. Hopefully Geno shows a lot though and if the Jets pick high instead of going for a QB they can grab someone like Marquise Lee.

I would prefer drafting a pass rusher or ASJ, if we go offense.

ASJ looks great, yeah. Was just using Lee as an example of going after an elite non-QB prospect rather than needing to go for Best QB Available

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilahchris wrote:
A healthy Jets team have enough talent and coaching to make the playoffs this year. It all comes down to everyone staying healthy and Mark Sanchez progressing.

This team will go as far as Mark Sanchez will take them. That is the sad but honest state of the NY Jets right now.

I do not think Geno Smith is ready to step in this year. He will need a year to learn the offense.

I think every offensive player on this team is learning the offensive, but Geno Smith is the only one whose not going to be ready to play in it? Your logic is suspect.

rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Geno will need a full year to learn this offense. I think he will need time to adjust to the NFL level (The speed and taking snaps under center.) he should be ready by week 7. I'm not saying he will be great, but he learn things quickly. So he should be ready mentally.
jg6041

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
I don't think Geno will need a full year to learn this offense. I think he will need time to adjust to the NFL level (The speed and taking snaps under center.) he should be ready by week 7. I'm not saying he will be great, but he learn things quickly. So he should be ready mentally.

I feel foolish but I just realized both Sanchez and Geno are learning a new offense. Lets see who picks it up faster and preforms better then I will be fine if Geno starts Game 1.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
jimbo1904

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me its 2014 (wildcard) 2015 probable. Four reasons:

1. Geno. If he develops by playing OR watching I think our offense can increase 100%. Also- I think a decent offense will allow our defense to go from a top 10 to a top 5. A good offense could propel that to top 3- just based on the fact we'll have less turnovers and more rest.

2. Our OL. We invested a decent amount via draft and who knows how our FA will pan out. They need to gel, hopefully this happens in 2013.

3. As far as cap space in 2014 and on, we look golden. Holmes could be a goner, Sanchez is gone, Revis is off the books, and I expect Harris to restructure. This would take us down at least 26M from Sanchez and Revis alone.

4. By 2015 Brady will be 2 years older... hopefully his play declines a bit.

I hope Idzik keeps Rex just because of his defensive genius. Let the OC handle the offense-now that we have a proven one- and I think in 2015 we'll be primed for a deep run.
kilahchris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreadMadSeen wrote:
kilahchris wrote:
A healthy Jets team have enough talent and coaching to make the playoffs this year. It all comes down to everyone staying healthy and Mark Sanchez progressing.

This team will go as far as Mark Sanchez will take them. That is the sad but honest state of the NY Jets right now.

I do not think Geno Smith is ready to step in this year. He will need a year to learn the offense.

I think every offensive player on this team is learning the offensive, but Geno Smith is the only one whose not going to be ready to play in it? Your logic is suspect.

There is nothing suspect in what I said. There is a big difference with a Santonio Holmes , Chris Ivory or even Mark Sanchez learning the new offense than a rookie with no NFL experience (Geno Smith) learning the offense.

The speed of the NFL game will be Geno Smith biggest obstacle to master.
His read and react skills, how he goes through his progressions are all things the kid will have to adjust to on the NFL stage in one of the biggest media markets in the country.

There will be a lot of pressure on geno Smith. If I am Rex I would not put the kid in there until I am 100 percent positive he will adjust quickly.
Rickjets2007

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: 2015 Reply with quote

Why will 2015 will be our year?

1. Our defensive Line. We have the makings of dominating defensive front. In a pass happy league, you need your linemen to be able to generate a pass rush. You need young, athletic and talented linemen which we may have. I also believe we have solid depth on the line which is so very important.

2. Rex Ryan's defensive genius. The guy is a great defensive coach.

3. John Idzik. I honestly never heard of the guy up until his name started coming up in the news when he was being considered for the job. After doing some research on him and watching him in action this offseason, I am going to go out on a limb and put my faith in him.

Why do I like believe in Idzik?
1. He did the smart thing and traded Revis. With the best Cornerback in football the Jets where unable to go to the Superbowl. From a pure economic stand point, investing the amount of cap space into a corner back coming off a serious knee injury is stupid. Cornerbacks do not win Superbowls. Quarterbacks win superbowls.

2. We were the worst team going into this offseason. Idzik has not only managed to fix our cap situation this year, but he has set us up to be one of the top teams going into the next offseason from an economic standpoint.

3. I was very happy with this years draft. Idzik made the right moves. There was some talk about Geno Smith being taken in the top 10. I feared the Jets would pull the trigger and take him in the first round because we do need a QB. Geno Smith in the first round would have been a bad draft pick. All NFL scouts and front offices let it be known, that this year was not a very good draft class. There was no Andrew Luck this year.

The selection of Geno Smith in the second round could be Idzik's defining GM move. If Geno Smith turns out to be 5% better than Mark Sanchez, then John Idzik would have laid the economic groundwork for success for our Jets. We could have a starting QB, signed to a second round tender for the next 4 or more years. The snowball effect that this could create for the rest of the team could be huge.

4. The firing of most of our scouts. Idzik could not get rid of them before the draft. The amount of people, time and work needed to build a teams draft board is a year round project. The Jets have drafted fairly well in the first round over the past 5 years or so (minus Gholston), but we have drafted poorly in the later rounds. I know we have often not had many later round picks due to trades. But, that is yet another reason to clear house.

5. Tom Brady should be on his way out by 2015.
Malik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilahchris wrote:
DreadMadSeen wrote:
kilahchris wrote:

There is nothing suspect in what I said. There is a big difference with a Santonio Holmes , Chris Ivory or even Mark Sanchez learning the new offense than a rookie with no NFL experience (Geno Smith) learning the offense.

His read and react skills, how he goes through his progressions are all things the kid will have to adjust to on the NFL stage in one of the biggest media markets in the country.

There will be a lot of pressure on geno Smith. If I am Rex I would not put the kid in there until I am 100 percent positive he will adjust quickly.

You learn to play football at an NFL level by playing football at an NFL level. No amount of studying or sitting will make a player a drastically different player. The reason you don't immediately throw a rookie QB in immediately is because you believe they offense isn't good enough to keep a rookie on his feet throughout the season.
kilahchris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
kilahchris wrote:
DreadMadSeen wrote:
kilahchris wrote:

You learn to play football at an NFL level by playing football at an NFL level. No amount of studying or sitting will make a player a drastically different player. The reason you don't immediately throw a rookie QB in immediately is because you believe they offense isn't good enough to keep a rookie on his feet throughout the season.

Tell that to the Green Bay packers and Aaron Rodgers.
Aaron sat for 3 years under Brett Farve. Look at the quality QB the packers have. Aaron was not rushed out onto the field like Mark Sanchez.
Look at the end result. With some Quaterback yes they can start on day 1. Mark Sanchez was not that guy and I do not think Geno Smith is that guy either, just my humble opinnion.
jg6041

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilahchris wrote:

Aaron sat for 3 years under Brett Farve.
Look at the quality QB the packers have. Aaron was not rushed out onto the field like Mark Sanchez.
Look at the end result. With some Quaterback yes they can start on day 1. Mark Sanchez was not that guy and I do not think Geno Smith is that guy either, just my humble opinnion.

It was a luxury because of where he fell.
Its hard to say if he would have been successful from the start though.
Did he learn more than he would have by being on the sidelines?
Sanchez was for the most part cut a break for being a young QB.
The issue is he has not gotten better.

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
kilahchris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg6041 wrote:
kilahchris wrote:

Aaron sat for 3 years under Brett Farve.
Look at the quality QB the packers have. Aaron was not rushed out onto the field like Mark Sanchez.

It was a luxury because of where he fell.
Its hard to say if he would have been successful from the start though.
Did he learn more than he would have by being on the sidelines?
Sanchez was for the most part cut a break for being a young QB.
The issue is he has not gotten better.

I think Aaron learned a lot from Brett Farve and studying the packer's playbook. The environment fostered his development. In 3 years the packers new he was ready and sent Brett Farve packing.

Alex Smith was the first QB taken that year and he started right out of the box. He struggled at times, due to the numerous coaching changes and the pressure put on him to turn the 49ers around.

Some guys can start from Day 1. Mark Sanchez should of never started from day 1. In fact Mark Sanchez should went back to school like Matt Barkley did. It would of did him a world of good.
yankee0724

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere around 2100.

Quote:
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
teamorange

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of a QB sitting has to do with responsibility. Geno sitting lowers his responsibility, he doesn't feel as though he has to come out and save the Jets. I feel as though that was a big problem with Mark. We gave him the offense and expected him to do it all and he wasn't ready.

Let Geno sit, let him be comfortable with the NFL lifestyle, let him be comfortable with the players around him, with the offense and with the game. It is a good thing we aren't contending right now because there is no rush to get him in there.

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Bleed-Green-87

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its either gonna be this year or in 3 to 4 years. It probably doesn't seem very realistic for us to have double digit wins and make the playoffs this year but you never know. If Sanchez protects the ball, can get some protection, develop some chemistry with his few offensive weapons, and gets some help from a running game, then it isn't impossible that we could be a playoff team. We should have a top 10 defense this year which will keep us in games as well. There are obviously a lot of ifs here and the likelihood of this happening is pretty slim, but it might be Rex's only shot.

I can't see Rex surviving another year if we have fewer than 8 wins with the pressure of coaching in New York and the impatientness the fans and FO will have. I think he is a decent coach and we made a few runs under him but change might not be the worst thing.

Thanks Delphi^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: